First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Regular or Premium Gas ?
3704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/29/17 , edited 3/29/17



Premium gas vs. regular: What's really better for your car? (CBC Marketplace)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPkPAbzwbU

Don't Bother Buying Premium Gas | Consumer Reports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxr9Dyv778U

personally.. i would say to just follow the owner's manual

We have Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Mazda.. some newer cars will require synthetic oil for better mpg but the gas is still unleaded 87 octane


30000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 3/29/17
I have a BMW M5 and I fill it with Premium per the manual. Since I live in the city with no commute, I don't travel much so hitting the expensive stuff isn't a big deal when you don't fill up as often.
11392 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Clinton, NY
Offline
Posted 3/29/17 , edited 3/29/17
I use premium, per the manual.
Lehas9 
17 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/29/17
Follow the manual or what is on the inside of the gas cap.

Mazda RX-8 Premium.
12844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 3/29/17

"The long-term use of regular-grade gasoline can lead to engine damage"

i lol how they try to cover that portion as soon as they noticed it...


using regular over premium will supposedly save you almost 300 bucks, while repairing a damaged engine can cost between $2200 - $4000 or 10% of what you paid for the car. honestly, if you can't afford premium gas, you probably shouldn't buy a premium (luxury brand) car in the first place.
59858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Buried under a pi...
Offline
Posted 3/29/17
Go by the owner's manual. Mine says cheap stuff is fine, so that's what I use.
21289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Leanbox, Gameindu...
Offline
Posted 3/29/17 , edited 3/29/17
Regular, unless you have a luxury or a sports car it's a waste of money to use anything with higher than 87 octane.
Like everyone else says ultimately follow the manual.
113362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
69 / M / Columbia, MO
Offline
Posted 3/29/17
Regular, unless I'm in Colorado high country...........do stay away from that E-85 shit. It's as bad as running water in a gasoline engine.
51606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/17
As an auto mechanic with 12 years of experience I can say this, the octane rating your engine needs is dependant on the compression of the engine, running higher octane fuel than is needed is simply a waste of money.

TL:DR Use what your owner's manual says.
1020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/17
As a certified Volkswagen technician. ALWAYS refer to manufacturers specs. If you are unsure, your owners manual provides details for the consumer. Age of vehicle has no say either, if 91/93 octane is required then use that grade. Plain and simple. If you don't want to. Id be more than happy to fix your car for a hefty fraction of what its worth.
1020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/17

bemused_Bohemian wrote:

Regular, unless I'm in Colorado high country...........do stay away from that E-85 shit. It's as bad as running water in a gasoline engine.


Unless a car is meant to run E85 then it shouldn't be in your tank. E85 is a whole different ball game. Its more common in racing applications.
51606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/17

alfieohalfie wrote:


bemused_Bohemian wrote:

Regular, unless I'm in Colorado high country...........do stay away from that E-85 shit. It's as bad as running water in a gasoline engine.


Unless a car is meant to run E85 then it shouldn't be in your tank. E85 is a whole different ball game. Its more common in racing applications.


E85 is garbage for everyday cars, and it is pure shit for the environment too. It takes something like 20% more E85 to yield the same power as regular unleaded gas. It's a scam pushed by Big Corn to sell corn that tastes like crap for something else. Not to mention corn is just about the worst plant material to make ethanol from, common weeds yield more ethanol per acre than corn and they don't require constant upkeep.
1020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/17

MadBovine wrote:


alfieohalfie wrote:


bemused_Bohemian wrote:

Regular, unless I'm in Colorado high country...........do stay away from that E-85 shit. It's as bad as running water in a gasoline engine.


Unless a car is meant to run E85 then it shouldn't be in your tank. E85 is a whole different ball game. Its more common in racing applications.


E85 is garbage for everyday cars, and it is pure shit for the environment too. It takes something like 20% more E85 to yield the same power as regular unleaded gas. It's a scam pushed by Big Corn to sell corn that tastes like crap for something else. Not to mention corn is just about the worst plant material to make ethanol from, common weeds yield more ethanol per acre than corn and they don't require constant upkeep.


Which is pretty much why i got rid of my E85 compatible racecar
i got sick of the money i was dumping into it. Spitting flames out your car gets old too. It was fun while it lasted.

91 and water/meth injection keeps me happy so i don't really care.
36009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / San Diego, CA
Offline
Posted 3/29/17
Yup whatever your manual or gas cover says on the inside. Premium only here
2421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Miami/Hawaii
Offline
Posted 3/29/17
I do it by the manual, Plus.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.