Post Reply How do I find a gf who shares my love for anime?
6556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada Ontario
Offline
Posted 4/1/17 , edited 4/1/17
As title says.

I live in Ontario Canada and I dont know of any anime conventions...

So any ideas?
Posted 4/1/17 , edited 4/1/17
Talk to girls, become friends, find out their interest and with luck you'll find someone who also shares your interest.

propinquity is king.
6556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada Ontario
Offline
Posted 4/1/17
ive been trying that but not many girls seem to like anime around here. also what is propinquilty
But like usually as soon as I bring up anime the girl stops talking to me XD
5089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Dallas, GA (USA)
Offline
Posted 4/1/17 , edited 4/1/17
Hey MrEnder1337, as far as conventions go here is a list of conventions in Canada, eight of which take place in Ontario (I know Ontario is a big place, but maybe one of them is held within a reasonable distance from you).

http://animecons.com/events/calendar.shtml/003

Besides conventions ask around town to see if anyone knows of an anime-related club or group in the area. You can also go on social sites and check to see if there are any Ontario-based groups. If you can't find any you could even start your own and put fliers or messages up in places other anime fans may frequent so they could find out about it. Just remember to be safe and not put too personal of information out there.

I hope this helps, and you're definitely not alone. Best of luck in your search. ^_^
Posted 4/1/17 , edited 4/1/17

MrEnder1337 wrote:

ive been trying that but not many girls seem to like anime around here. also what is propinquilty
But like usually as soon as I bring up anime the girl stops talking to me XD


it's like proximity, like the closer you are and more often the better.

idk just be cool about it, if you're persistent about finding someone that shares love for anime you'll find someone.
33582 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Side 6
Offline
Posted 4/1/17 , edited 4/1/17
propinquity: ggrks!

Be yourself. Maybe try an online service like match.com where you can find ppl with similar interests. Or try to introduce her to some good anime (AoT, HxH, Another, Mushi-shi, etc) after you've gone on a few dates.

http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/top-5-anime-genres-for-women-recommendations/
6556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada Ontario
Offline
Posted 4/1/17
oh ty ty good idea starting an anime club. 0o0 <-- never had to use that face before XD

6556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada Ontario
Offline
Posted 4/1/17
online dating sites suck >< been on them for years no success
103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 4/2/17
On top of local groups, are there other interests or traits that are important to you? If you get along well with a girl, it might be possible to introduce them to a few series they'll like. I think most people could find at least one or two if they had someone knowledgeable making suggestions. Everyone started somewhere.

Semi-related... a guy I met in a cafe once struck up a conversation about anime. He wanted to know if I'd seen his favorite (I think it was Kill la Kill), so he pulled out his phone and looked for clips to show me. Queue the clip playing... and turning into an extended panty shot.

Try not to be that guy maybe. I knew he wasn't a pervert, but still lol.
6556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada Ontario
Offline
Posted 4/2/17 , edited 4/2/17

mochabeans wrote:

On top of local groups, are there other interests or traits that are important to you? If you get along well with a girl, it might be possible to introduce them to a few series they'll like. I think most people could find at least one or two if they had someone knowledgeable making suggestions. Everyone started somewhere.

Semi-related... a guy I met in a cafe once struck up a conversation about anime. He wanted to know if I'd seen his favorite (I think it was Kill la Kill), so he pulled out his phone and looked for clips to show me. Queue the clip playing... and turning into an extended panty shot.

Try not to be that guy maybe. I knew he wasn't a pervert, but still lol.


Im mostly into romcoms, one piece and inteligent thought process anime like steins gate, death note or code gease. oh and I like SAO style anime like konosuba, re:life, accel world. Also it usually goes

Me: do you like anime
Her: No
Me: Oh ever watched it?
Her: No I dont like kids stuff or No I dont like the constipated yelling before they fight or No sailormoon sucked or No I dont like reading subtitles.

Then I make a sugguestion or comment like "Not all anime is like dragon ball z example I watch a lot of anime romcoms"

The girl then leaves...

I feel like due to my looks girls get high expectations of me thinking some grand picture only for it to be shattered when they find out Im a nerd and lose all interest =\ because they never leave if I dont mention my nerd side =\
103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 4/2/17 , edited 4/2/17

MrEnder1337 wrote:


mochabeans wrote:

On top of local groups, are there other interests or traits that are important to you? If you get along well with a girl, it might be possible to introduce them to a few series they'll like. I think most people could find at least one or two if they had someone knowledgeable making suggestions. Everyone started somewhere.

Semi-related... a guy I met in a cafe once struck up a conversation about anime. He wanted to know if I'd seen his favorite (I think it was Kill la Kill), so he pulled out his phone and looked for clips to show me. Queue the clip playing... and turning into an extended panty shot.

Try not to be that guy maybe. I knew he wasn't a pervert, but still lol.


Im mostly into romcoms, one piece and inteligent thought process anime like steins gate, death note or code gease. oh and I like SAO style anime like konosuba, re:life, accel world. Also it usually goes

Me: do you like anime
Her: No
Me: Oh ever watched it?
Her: No I dont like kids stuff or No I dont like the constipated yelling before they fight or No sailormoon sucked or No I dont like reading subtitles.

Then I make a sugguestion or comment like "Not all anime is like dragon ball z example I watch a lot of anime romcoms"

The girl then leaves...

I feel like due to my looks girls get high expectations of me thinking some grand picture only for it to be shattered when they find out Im a nerd and lose all interest =\ because they never leave if I dont mention my nerd side =\


To me that almost sounds like you two are arguing a bit. It's a delicate subject if someone has had a bad impression of one of your hobbies. People don't really like to change their minds.

It might work best on people who like animation, fantasy, cute things, or geek stuff to begin with.

Maybe after you've known each other for a bit, you can suggest they watch a "cartoon" like Spirited Away or Anohana, maybe even Cowboy Bebop. A gateway drug of sorts.
2768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/3/17
You can try using http://www.meetup.com/ to find anime/manga meetups in your area to meet people. It pretty much lists a bunch of local groups formed based on different interests and activities ranging from sports to art. For each group, there would be events where people can meet in person and do group activities like happy hours, dinners, movies, etc. You can also start your own group if you want to.

Also based on what you said about your past experiences, it looks like you haven't met the right people yet. There are plenty of attractive, nerdy girls out there. You just have yet to meet them.

It's funny though. I used to dislike anime because I had similar biased views against it but after being exposed to psychological anime, it completely changed my mind since then.
21149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 4/4/17
Why do you need a gf who's into anime?

I think it's a good thing my wife isn't into anime or gaming. She's like a reality check that keeps me grounded.
5049 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/4/17
Hey in Ontario there is anime north which is a huge convention in May XD try there maybe ? I used to live in Ontario and there is a pretty big turn out for anime north lol
You must be logged in to post.