Created by Nalaniel
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply What label would you use to describe your political affiliation?
19810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/24/17
Democratic socialism is my thing. Though it is a more moderate form of socialism then the OP thinks socialism is . Ya can't just stick socialism off to the left like that it is lazy and idiotic to do so.
37091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/25/17
I'm a Democratic Socialist.
5073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 4/25/17
I picked Libertarian because Anarcho-Capitalist wasn't on the list.
271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Ypsilanti, Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/25/17 , edited 5/1/17
So that's an awful scale. How is Libertarianism closer to fascism than conservatism?
From Wikipedia:
Fascism /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism

Libertarianism is literally the opposite of authoritarianism.The political compass is far more accurate that a scale like this.

But I digress,
I would say I am mostly Libertarian and a Classical Liberal. I agree with some anarcho-capitalist philosophy and some modern liberal thought. On the compass I am a slightly left leaning libertarian.
1661 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/28/17
I'm liberal so democratic.
1280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/29/17

Nalaniel wrote:

According to Wikipedia, "a political spectrum is a system of classifying different political positions upon one or more geometric axes that symbolize independent political dimensions." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_spectrum)

Below is a linear representation of some of the many political philosophies that humans have created throughout history.




Where on the political spectrum are you?

Edit: I know that Libertarian is the correct version of the noun, but I have no idea how to edit a poll.


The political spectrum in your diagram is misleading; there are actually multiple political dimensions and some dimensions are more salient than others. The most salient dimension in many countries is economy. The social dimension is becoming more salient in many countires due to globalization and the current rise of populism. The race dimension once exist in US but it collapse into the economic dimension since the race difference are now explained as difference between culture instead of genetics. In Israel, the war dimension is the most salient.
24955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Germany
Offline
Posted 4/29/17 , edited 4/29/17

sinoakayumi wrote:

The political spectrum in your diagram is misleading; there are actually multiple political dimensions and some dimensions are more salient than others. The most salient dimension in many countries is economy. The social dimension is becoming more salient in many countires due to globalization and the current rise of populism. The race dimension once exist in US but it collapse into the economic dimension since the race difference are now explained as difference between culture instead of genetics. In Israel, the war dimension is the most salient.


That is true, but I was just offering an example of the political spectrum. There are various different interpretations and everyone posting here is free to correct me and elaborate on their stance. I am just curious what people will say on this topic.


kata89 wrote:

So that's an awful scale. How is Libertarianism closer to fascism than conservatism?
From Wikipedia:
Fascism /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism

Libertarianism is literally the opposite of authoritarianism.The political compass is far more accurate that a scale like this.

But I digress,
I would say I am mostly Libertarian and a Classical Liberal. I agree with some anarcho-capitalist philosophy and some modern liberal thought. On the compass I am a slightly left leaning libertarian.


Would you be able to provide an example of a proper scale? I consider the one I gave to be an simplified and somewhat inaccurate image, but I would have had to spend a decent amount of time looking for a more accurate one. Can you help me with that?
12998 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Online
Posted 4/29/17
according to political compass test, i lean slight towards being left libertarian, though i'd rather consider myself a "moderate" left
1280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/29/17

Nalaniel wrote:


sinoakayumi wrote:

The political spectrum in your diagram is misleading; there are actually multiple political dimensions and some dimensions are more salient than others. The most salient dimension in many countries is economy. The social dimension is becoming more salient in many countires due to globalization and the current rise of populism. The race dimension once exist in US but it collapse into the economic dimension since the race difference are now explained as difference between culture instead of genetics. In Israel, the war dimension is the most salient.


That is true, but I was just offering an example of the political spectrum. There are various different interpretations and everyone posting here is free to correct me and elaborate on their stance. I am just curious what people will say on this topic.


kata89 wrote:

So that's an awful scale. How is Libertarianism closer to fascism than conservatism?
From Wikipedia:
Fascism /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism

Libertarianism is literally the opposite of authoritarianism.The political compass is far more accurate that a scale like this.

But I digress,
I would say I am mostly Libertarian and a Classical Liberal. I agree with some anarcho-capitalist philosophy and some modern liberal thought. On the compass I am a slightly left leaning libertarian.


Would you be able to provide an example of a proper scale? I consider the one I gave to be an simplified and somewhat inaccurate image, but I would have had to spend a decent amount of time looking for a more accurate one. Can you help me with that?


I should provide more on information on US political spectrum from my university class. There are currently two significant dimensions in US: social and economic. The economic dimension concern the amount of government involvement on the economy while the social dimension concern the amount of government involvement on social issues. Politicians tend to compress the many political orientations into one dimension for simplification purpose.

A possible political classification is as follows:

Libertarianism support minimal government intervention on both economic and social issues.

Liberalism support minimal government intervention on social issues but not on economic.

Populism support heavy government intervention on both social issues and economic.

Authoritarianism support heavy government intervention on social issues but not on economic.
2376 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 4/29/17 , edited 4/29/17
Too hard to tell.

My whole family is "Left" but all I hear from the "Left" is complaints about everything, how unprogressive everything is, how bad everything is and how shitty Trump is.

I used to call myself objective but I'm more of a conservative as of now because the only Liberals I talk to are just so negative about everything and hate on Trump and basically peer pressure other people into hating Trump and hating everything going on. All I see from Liberals is hate and negativity, just because the U.S. is now under republican presidency. I am still young and fresh into politics, however, I can't see any conservatives making as much of a hissy-fit as those Antifa jackasses who just bitch and moan and complain that they don't get everything they want.

Imo, conservatives(not all, but most) are down to earth, cool people willing to talk and share opinions about everything in a controlled manner without getting upset. And liberals(again not all but most imo) are people who just get butthurt when the world doesn't agree with them, and calls anyone who doesn't agree with them a Neo-Nazi, and most of them don't even know half of why they protest in the streets. Really my hate for Liberals started with Antifa, but I'm slowly seeing how closed minded most liberals near me are, and how open minded conservatives are.

All Liberals do is call people that they don't like gaybashers and Neo-Nazis and people who just intimidate others and make them feel bad when really, it's just because they know nothing of the current events and they feel butthurt that it's not a democracy even though this country has never been a successful democracy.


Edit:
Sorry for rant, I needed that
1280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/29/17
In my analysis, I found some difference between three extremist groups of Communism, Populism, and Fascism:

Populism represent minority groups who were historically the majority. It could also represent marginal groups who once had high social prestige. The Fascism of the early 1900s could be considered Populism but they differ from the current Populism; the Fascists represent the military while the current Populists represent the farmers and industrial workers.

Communism represent marginal groups who never had any prestige or dominance like the Jewish. In this definition, the Chinese Communists and Korea Communists can be considered to be a mixture of Populists and Communists.

Some interesting trend is that the current Populists in much of the Western countries tend to be Capitalists but the Populists in Eastern European countries and other non-Western countries tend to be Socialists. Hugo Chavez, the latest Venezuela president, is an example of a Populist who lean toward Socialism.
76645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 4/30/17 , edited 4/30/17
There are WAY too many variables out there that the Government and the Corporations around the Globe cause, among many other issues for Me to; at least THESE Days, even go about describing My full doctrine on Political issues. All I want is this Country and it's GOVERNMENT go back to UPHOLDING THE CONSTITUTION instead of...as they've been doing for Years, further and further bastardizing and distorting the Laws created by Our FOREFATHERS...aka, People whom had JUST ESCAPED and FOUGHT OFF a "monopoly" that is in MANY ways, the EXACT type of "Life" not at all very much unlike what We see from the Globalists and the Bilderbergers; People whom are the TRUE POWER behind "the POWER".

I think Man, INHERENTLY is Good. It's just that 99% of Politician's that Run for positions; Governors, Senators, et cetera...A LOT of the time the words they speak to get Elected is nothing more than Lies and falsehoods. If Man could only stop senselessly killing One another for the most ridiculous of reasons, You'd HOPE to think that there would be NO NEED for any "Governing" body keeping checks on Us Citizens...THESE DAYS, by ANY means necessary!

So Yeah, I chose Other....I just dunno Man....
37091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/1/17 , edited 5/1/17

konjfful wrote:

Too hard to tell.

My whole family is "Left" but all I hear from the "Left" is complaints about everything, how unprogressive everything is, how bad everything is and how shitty Trump is.

I used to call myself objective but I'm more of a conservative as of now because the only Liberals I talk to are just so negative about everything and hate on Trump and basically peer pressure other people into hating Trump and hating everything going on. All I see from Liberals is hate and negativity, just because the U.S. is now under republican presidency. I am still young and fresh into politics, however, I can't see any conservatives making as much of a hissy-fit as those Antifa jackasses who just bitch and moan and complain that they don't get everything they want.

Imo, conservatives(not all, but most) are down to earth, cool people willing to talk and share opinions about everything in a controlled manner without getting upset. And liberals(again not all but most imo) are people who just get butthurt when the world doesn't agree with them, and calls anyone who doesn't agree with them a Neo-Nazi, and most of them don't even know half of why they protest in the streets. Really my hate for Liberals started with Antifa, but I'm slowly seeing how closed minded most liberals near me are, and how open minded conservatives are.

All Liberals do is call people that they don't like gaybashers and Neo-Nazis and people who just intimidate others and make them feel bad when really, it's just because they know nothing of the current events and they feel butthurt that it's not a democracy even though this country has never been a successful democracy.


Edit:
Sorry for rant, I needed that


Oh, not at all. Trust me: there are a lot of people on the left in general (not just in the US, either) that totally understand your need to rant.

There's a contingent within the US left that has seized upon the academic language used for describing various forms of bigotry and made it a cudgel with which to beat down any and all opposition, including from the left. When Madeline Albright declared that any woman not supporting Hillary Clinton had a special place in Hell awaiting her it was she who was being sexist, and when Gloria Steinem belittled female Sanders supporters by insisting their motivation for being such was merely to get laid it was she who was being misogynist. Erasure of non-white Sanders supporters and subsequent insistence that because Sanders appealed to young whites it must be privilege that motivated them was disgustingly racist, but to hear the Clinton campaign tell the story they were the vanguard against racism. This nonsense undermines those on the left trying to advance serious-minded arguments for progressive policy and complaints against sincere instances of racism, sexism, homophobia, and so forth. It has to stop.

Please excuse my own rant, though I've quoted you because I thought you might be interested.
2376 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 5/1/17

BlueOni wrote:


konjfful wrote:

Too hard to tell.

My whole family is "Left" but all I hear from the "Left" is complaints about everything, how unprogressive everything is, how bad everything is and how shitty Trump is.

I used to call myself objective but I'm more of a conservative as of now because the only Liberals I talk to are just so negative about everything and hate on Trump and basically peer pressure other people into hating Trump and hating everything going on. All I see from Liberals is hate and negativity, just because the U.S. is now under republican presidency. I am still young and fresh into politics, however, I can't see any conservatives making as much of a hissy-fit as those Antifa jackasses who just bitch and moan and complain that they don't get everything they want.

Imo, conservatives(not all, but most) are down to earth, cool people willing to talk and share opinions about everything in a controlled manner without getting upset. And liberals(again not all but most imo) are people who just get butthurt when the world doesn't agree with them, and calls anyone who doesn't agree with them a Neo-Nazi, and most of them don't even know half of why they protest in the streets. Really my hate for Liberals started with Antifa, but I'm slowly seeing how closed minded most liberals near me are, and how open minded conservatives are.

All Liberals do is call people that they don't like gaybashers and Neo-Nazis and people who just intimidate others and make them feel bad when really, it's just because they know nothing of the current events and they feel butthurt that it's not a democracy even though this country has never been a successful democracy.


Edit:
Sorry for rant, I needed that


Oh, not at all. Trust me: there are a lot of people on the left in general (not just in the US, either) that totally understand your need to rant.

There's a contingent within the US left that has seized upon the academic language used for describing various forms of bigotry and made it a cudgel with which to beat down any and all opposition, including from the left. When Madeline Albright declared that any woman not supporting Hillary Clinton had a special place in Hell awaiting her it was she who was being sexist, and when Gloria Steinem belittled female Sanders supporters by insisting their motivation for being such was merely to get laid it was she who was being misogynist. Erasure of non-white Sanders supporters and subsequent insistence that because Sanders appealed to young whites it must be privilege that motivated them was disgustingly racist, but to hear the Clinton campaign tell the story they were the vanguard against racism. This nonsense undermines those on the left trying to advance serious-minded arguments for progressive policy and complaints against sincere instances of racism, sexism, homophobia, and so forth. It has to stop.

Please excuse my own rant, though I've quoted you because I thought you might be interested.



It's fine, I agree with most of what you say. I'm just unfortunate because except for certain minority individuals, the area I live in is liberal for probably at least 50 miles in every direction

20069 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / So. Cal
Offline
Posted 5/2/17
I take no sides, I reject any and all labels. I feel the major problem is people create a standard of belief to go with such labels that becomes cult like in it's intensity. "You're liberal if..." "You're conservative if..." as though one cannot hold conservative and liberal beliefs at the same time.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.