Post Reply So, let me get this straight
26307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / A Pale Blue Dot
Offline
Posted 4/2/17 , edited 4/4/17
For months, Crunchyroll has been plagued by issues, most notably on weekends. This has been a known problem, something reported over and over again by many users. These issues have impacted so harshly on your user base, that we've all seen multiple threads here on the forums created by premium members who are fed up with not being able to use the service they're paying for. Little to no communication about what's being done to address these issues has been forthcoming from Crunchyroll or Ellation.

Enter VRV, a new service made possible through the partnership of several companies, Crunchyroll included. Instead of fixing issues with their current service, Ellation focuses on this new endeavor, even though they already have paying customers who are getting sick of not getting their money's worth.

And then, tonight, I'm greeted with many problems trying to stream just an episode or two on my phone, as well as what I'm sure was intended to be a helpful tip. "Try watching with the VRV app." This full-screen message, complete with Crunchyroll mascot graphic, suggests that, were I using VRV, I wouldn't be having these problems streaming.

Here's my question: how, OH F*CKING HOW, can that be true? Do you mean to tell me that, rather than adding servers to its existing infrastructure in an effort to fix any of the problems its ALREADY PAYING customers have, Ellation instead opted to spin up new servers for this NEW, DIFFERENT service? Is that right? What other way is there to interpret this situation?

But the f*cking cherry on this sh*t sundae: If the Crunchyroll app suggested that I try using VRV, you'd probably assume it works on my device, wouldn't you? Well, that'd be a mistake, because it f*cking doesn't. VRV is not compatible with my device. I have a Nexus 5X, which was one of two brand new flagship devices from Google less than a year ago.

As soon as I get to my desktop, I'm cancelling my renewal of Crunchyroll. Treating your customers this way is unacceptable.
16022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/2/17 , edited 4/2/17
I've been a customer over 4 years. This is my first time experiencing a problem with their service and I agree. Crunchyroll should be held to the same standards as Netflix and Hulu. I pay monthly to support this site and also anime in general. However if this continues I will rethink about my subscription and may invest in a Chrome cast to just leech off the free sites like everyone else.
160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 4/2/17 , edited 4/2/17
I just cancelled with a nice, long note basically saying servers suck and moderators and those in charge are completely incompetent. Wonder if you'll lose the rest of your premium user base as quickly as you lost me.
MrD_88 
23100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 4/3/17
VRV isn't available where I live, so it's not even a valid workaround for those outside the US.
Kicchu 
52289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/3/17
I, too, am having nothing but issues. I haven't been able to use the app on my TV for weeks now ( I'm currently watching IBO on Hulu instead ). I've already canceled my auto-renewal and intend to cancel my subscription by the end of the month if issues aren't rectified. No reason to pay for a service I can't use and the customer support is basically useless. They don't even read your messages. I was told to do what I told them I already did. And I told them I was using a Roku device, but they gave me suggestions for how to make the website videos to work when I stated I wasn't using the website. =__=
30000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
84 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/3/17

Blastyr wrote:

And then, tonight, I'm greeted with many problems trying to stream just an episode or two on my phone, as well as what I'm sure was intended to be a helpful tip. "Try watching with the VRV app." This full-screen message, complete with Crunchyroll mascot graphic, suggests that, were I using VRV, I wouldn't be having these problems streaming.

Here's my question: how, OH F*CKING HOW, can that be true? Do you mean to tell me that, rather than adding servers to its existing infrastructure in an effort to fix any of the problems its ALREADY PAYING customers have, Ellation instead opted to spin up new servers for this NEW, DIFFERENT service? Is that right? What other way is there to interpret this situation?

My guess is that VRV is separate from the existing CR infrastructure and not an addition to it. It may be that VRV is a wholly separate distribution/CDR structure away from CR's current setup.

Obviously, a guess on my part. One way to find out would be to ask those signed up to VRV if they are having the same "Saturday night" issues that non-VRV CR users are currently having. If the VRV people aren't reporting Saturday night crashes, then maybe its on a separate infrastructure. If that's the case, CR might be trying to upsell VRV in an effort to load balance and alleviate Saturday night bottlenecks.
4oby 
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Online
Posted 4/3/17

Hairbelly wrote:

My guess is that VRV is separate from the existing CR infrastructure and not an addition to it. It may be that VRV is a wholly separate distribution/CDR structure away from CR's current setup.

Obviously, a guess on my part. One way to find out would be to ask those signed up to VRV if they are having the same "Saturday night" issues that non-VRV CR users are currently having. If the VRV people aren't reporting Saturday night crashes, then maybe its on a separate infrastructure. If that's the case, CR might be trying to upsell VRV in an effort to load balance and alleviate Saturday night bottlenecks.


I have VRV bundle for a few weeks.
Done a bit of digging, and it seems that the VRV library/infrastructure is different then the one CR uses.
Had a small hick-up on saturday, but in less then 10 min was ok.

P.S. I got vrv cause I wanted to watch a show from funimation, and didn't feel like paying for both cr and funi separately (and OMG deep Space 69)
26307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / A Pale Blue Dot
Offline
Posted 4/3/17 , edited 4/3/17

Hairbelly wrote:

My guess is that VRV is separate from the existing CR infrastructure and not an addition to it. It may be that VRV is a wholly separate distribution/CDR structure away from CR's current setup.

Obviously, a guess on my part. One way to find out would be to ask those signed up to VRV if they are having the same "Saturday night" issues that non-VRV CR users are currently having. If the VRV people aren't reporting Saturday night crashes, then maybe its on a separate infrastructure. If that's the case, CR might be trying to upsell VRV in an effort to load balance and alleviate Saturday night bottlenecks.

4oby wrote:

I have VRV bundle for a few weeks.
Done a bit of digging, and it seems that the VRV library/infrastructure is different then the one CR uses.
Had a small hick-up on saturday, but in less then 10 min was ok.

And this, right here, is what I am pissed about. There are existing users on this existing platform that are already paying for service they aren't getting. Crunchyroll should be addressing their concerns before throwing money and man hours at building a new infrastructure for a separate service. Crossing your fingers and hoping that enough people jump to the new shiny is orders of magnitude a less reliable load balancing method than scaling up your existing infrastructure.

It's also a pretty sh*tty way to treat your paying customers.
Der Zoodirektor
26157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Online
Posted 4/3/17 , edited 4/3/17

Blastyr wrote:

And this, right here, is what I am pissed about. There are existing users on this existing platform that are already paying for service they aren't getting. Crunchyroll should be addressing their concerns before throwing money and man hours at building a new infrastructure for a separate service. Crossing your fingers and hoping that enough people jump to the new shiny is orders of magnitude a less reliable load balancing method than scaling up your existing infrastructure.

It's also a pretty sh*tty way to treat your paying customers.


VRV's systems are indeed on an entirely different infrastructure and architecture. This was possible because the new service was built from scratch and isn't just a simple copy of Crunchyroll.

As for Crunchyroll, it is built in a different way and uses and older architecture. We are already working to migrate Crunchyroll to a newer infrastructure, and have already done so for the video delivery part of the service. The website is basically next on our list, but as this is a HUGE project, it will take some time to do so. The whole process is sadly not as easy as just "copying it over and it will keep working".

As we do have the more robust VRV infrastructure at hand and working, we can offer it as a workaround for the times that Crunchyroll itself is struggling or being attacked - at least for our users in the US (which are the majority - so if some US users use VRV, the load on CR will be lessened, which helps those outside of the US). This does not cost anyone extra, as you can simply link a VRV and Crunchyroll account, and thus use the already existing Crunchyroll Premium privileges. It's not a marketing move, we are just trying to make sure that our users are aware of the alternative and are able to enjoy what they paid for.
You must be logged in to post.