First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime Strike (Amazon) Possible Danger to Anime Watching
LokiLB 
44930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/5/17

PhantomGundam wrote:


paulchaested wrote:

SukaSuka is practically confirmed for CR. VRV announced it will simulcast it an hour after t premieres on CR.


I read about that yesterday so I know CR is most likely to get it. I'd still wait for the official announcement to breath a sigh of relief though. Licensing anime this season has turned into a crazy and unpredictable game thanks to a certain company using god knows how much money to take nearly everything. If someone told me 2 weeks ago that Funimation would lose a bid for Bahamut I would've laughed at that person...


Do we know who got home video rights for Bahamut?
Would be sort of awkward if Sentai tries to dub season 2.
43602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Online
Posted 4/5/17

LokiLB wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:


paulchaested wrote:

SukaSuka is practically confirmed for CR. VRV announced it will simulcast it an hour after t premieres on CR.


I read about that yesterday so I know CR is most likely to get it. I'd still wait for the official announcement to breath a sigh of relief though. Licensing anime this season has turned into a crazy and unpredictable game thanks to a certain company using god knows how much money to take nearly everything. If someone told me 2 weeks ago that Funimation would lose a bid for Bahamut I would've laughed at that person...


Do we know who got home video rights for Bahamut?
Would be sort of awkward if Sentai tries to dub season 2.


AMAZON STRIKE has Bahamut I have the final list last post page 1

49271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 24th Ward
Offline
Posted 4/5/17 , edited 4/6/17
Crunchyroll not spending money. So from now on Anime Strike going to take every good shows.
LokiLB 
44930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/5/17 , edited 4/5/17

FLjerry2011 wrote:

AMAZON STRIKE has Bahamut I have the final list last post page 1





Edit: dang it, mods. That needed one more quote level to make any sense.

I was asking about home video rights and dubbing, not streaming.
59939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 4/5/17 , edited 7/2/17

Sagenaruto68 wrote:

Crunchyroll not spending money. So from now on Anime Strike going to take every good shows.


I don't think the problem is CR not spending money. The problem is that one of the largest companies in the world just stepped in and used their massive fortune to buy a couple good shows and back Sentai so they can get even more good shows. All exclusive behind a double paywall nearly 3 times the size of CR's yearly subscription. If this keeps up, CR/Funi won't be able to keep up with the price for licenses unless Anime Strike crashes and burns on its own.
15293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 4/5/17 , edited 4/6/17
TEN series exclusive to anime strike? Impressive on their part. America is getting the rest of the world anime treatment for a change lol, except they can still legally see the shows if the want.

Don't see the old Sentai show monopoly on CR ever coming back to be honest. Those bridges have been burned after Funi pairing up.
11980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/5/17
Anime Strike is moving fast for a site that just started up this year. I guess I will have to wait and buy 4 of the shows I wanted to see.
49271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 24th Ward
Offline
Posted 4/5/17

PhantomGundam wrote:


Sagenaruto68 wrote:

Crunchyroll not spending money. So from now on Anime Strike going to take every good shows.


I don't think the problem is CR not spending money. The problem is that one of the largest companies in the world just stepped in and used their massive fortune to buy a couple good shows and back Sentai so they can get even more good shows. All exclusive behind a double paywall nearly 3 times the size of CR's yearly subscription. If this keeps up, CR/Funi won't be able to keep up with the price for licenses unless Anime Strike crashes and burns on its own.


Anime Strike (Amazon) is going to take over other services, amazon can pay amount that CR/Funi can't pay.
4126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 4/5/17
Wow did they have a chill start last season in preparation for this one?
10 exclusives are a lot..
11980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/5/17
The only good news for now is Funimation does produce some of the Animes we like And Aniplex is a major player with CR and they also produce some Anime.
One Punch Mod
97864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 4/5/17 , edited 4/10/17
CR's queue has me so spoiled. Amazon's watchlist doesn't allow putting things in your own order, and doesn't give a quick indicator of whether the latest episode has been watched or not.

But, at least, since I'm in he US and already have Prime and am able and willing to pay an extra $5, I can watch the new shows; dealing with a lack of queue is a minor inconvenience.
17615 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 4/5/17 , edited 7/2/17
I said this in another thread but I will say this one last time:

If we want to hit Amazon where it hurts, protest with our wallets. Don't give them a damn penny. These guys' language is money and money talks. If it keeps up for couple more seasons Amazon will definitely notice and depending on how much it has impacted them they'll either leave the simulcasting game (I hope) or completely restructure their business model of simulcasting. As for trying to find a way of watching those shows on Amazon, sorry you're just going to have to make some sacrifices like I will be doing unless you simply can't and have to resort to other means...
11980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/5/17 , edited 4/6/17
Another thing you can do is buy your anime DVD's from companies like Right Stuf Not Amazon.
14137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 4/5/17 , edited 7/4/17
tl;dr Monopoly bad, diversity good. The ideal "all in one" has long since passed. If you want all your content in one single place AT&T can tell you a story about something that happened in 1983, and 30 years later, I think most people would say it ended up well. They're still a player, but you now have alternatives.

I don't think Amazon, via Strike, will ever gain a monopoly on anime distro in the US. It's just another media distro channel on top of all the others that already exist. How many people pay for iTunes exclusive content? If you subscribe to cable TV, you probably already have a tiered plan to watch exclusive content on HBO or AMC. So this Amazon thing is nothing new, and really nothing to worry about.

Can't deny they have deep pockets, but that also lets them build an infrastructure capable of supporting the density of consumers they hope to draw. Crunchyroll on a Saturday? Good luck. Amazon on a Saturday? No noticeable glitch. So now that we can have better content delivered faster and more reliable, it's up to the other players to catch up. From where I see, CR has poor PR, poor customer relations, poor response time. If CR wants to keep in the market, they need to address their own basic structure. Last year or so there was a 10 top streaming sites, and CR was surprising high on the list. They have a lot of customers, people are coming here, now CR needs to build up. If CR can't grow with the times, they can talk to Research In Motion and see what happens when they ignore the writing on the wall.

I've had Amazon Prime since its inception, which is probably 10 years by now, and for me, it's a no-brainer. Free delivery, second day deliver, and since I'm close to a couple of distro centers, sometimes next day delivery. Why should I work my way thru traffic for an hour to find Widget X is not in stock at my local Widgetarium? Anyways, adding Strike to Prime wasn't too difficult for me.
69643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 4/5/17 , edited 4/6/17

LokiLB wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:


paulchaested wrote:

SukaSuka is practically confirmed for CR. VRV announced it will simulcast it an hour after t premieres on CR.


I read about that yesterday so I know CR is most likely to get it. I'd still wait for the official announcement to breath a sigh of relief though. Licensing anime this season has turned into a crazy and unpredictable game thanks to a certain company using god knows how much money to take nearly everything. If someone told me 2 weeks ago that Funimation would lose a bid for Bahamut I would've laughed at that person...


Do we know who got home video rights for Bahamut?
Would be sort of awkward if Sentai tries to dub season 2.


It only applies to streaming rights. Funimation can still get the home video rights and dub it, but they won't be able to do a simuldub as they are cut off from streaming. This is a similar situation to when they got the home video rights for Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (which is actually Crunchyroll's license, but they are using Funi for dubbing and distribution).
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.