First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Should U.S. make April 9 (end of Civil War) a national holiday?
8813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17
I think so. We celebrate our country's birth every year, so why not its preservation?
21531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Online
Posted 4/10/17
because a few consider it a bad day

8813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 4/10/17

uncletim wrote:

because a few consider it a bad day



I doubt they'd complain about another day off.
3258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Bent Reality
Offline
Posted 4/10/17
I don't know enough about what happened during the war to say yes or no about it. I guess I could make the relation that we celebrate our birthdays annually but not something else important like graduating.
8813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 4/10/17

jaykirbydudee wrote:

I don't know enough about what happened during the war to say yes or no about it. I guess I could make the relation that we celebrate our birthdays annually but not something else important like graduating.


Not really a good analogy. If the outcome had been different, the U.S as we know it now probably wouldn't exist.
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17
I don't see why not. It represents a pivotal moment in American history so it's certainly well worth remembering.
3258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Bent Reality
Offline
Posted 4/10/17

geauxtigers1989 wrote:

Not really a good analogy. If the outcome had been different, the U.S as we know it now probably wouldn't exist.


That's true. Like I said I don't know enough about what happened to give a good answer. The only real answer I can give is Yeah because it's another day off but that answer is pretty petty because it undermines all of the effort put into winning the war.
1226 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Chattanooga TN
Offline
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17
many Southerners don't acknowledge that Lee surrendered, because he did so with out permission from President Jackson.

below is an excerpt taken from the record of Lee and Grants letters of correspondence prior to April 9th found at this link
:http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/appomattox-courthouse/appomattox-court-house-history/surrender.html


Note: Many point to Robert E. Lee's surrender on April 9, 1865 as the end of the American Civil War. This claim ignores the fact that other Confederate armies were still in the field and fighting after Lee's surrender. On April 26, 1865, Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston would surrender his forces to William T. Sherman in North Carolina. General Richard Taylor's forces in Alabama surrendered on May 4th. On June 2, 1865 General Edmund Kirby Smith surrendered the Confederate Department of the Trans-Mississippi. And on June 23, 1865, General Stand Watie surrendered his Cherokee forces to the Union army in Oklahoma.


So, you can see that the American Civil War did not end on April the 9th.. and for some in the south.. it is still being fought today.
Currently the North is weak and has come to rely on the southern states again for economic stability. The North has lost its moral compass while the South has a strong faith and creed. also many historians have pointed to a second Civil war one that is not fought with guns and bombs. but with business. much like the Chinese are doing to all of American at the moment.

the South WILL rise again there is no doubt in many Southerners minds that the moment to strike has not yet come, but it will.
and the people of the North will accept it gratefully.
qwueri 
20026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Online
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17

Mastersluthier wrote:

the South WILL rise again there is no doubt in many Southerners minds that the moment to strike has not yet come, but it will.
and the people of the North will accept it gratefully.


I think "many" is a bit too generous. The war is something some southerners are still salty about, but I don't see 'the South will rise again' as a common thing outside certain militia wannabes.

OT: It was a bloody, ugly war that harbored a lot of lasting resentment. Not a divide that needs any help getting dredged up on a yearly basis.
37369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/10/17
Sounds unnecessary since we already have Memorial day, which began due to the end of the Civil War. Plus Veteran's Day is also an appropriate holiday for the occasion as well, since it was once known as Armistice Day.
15100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17

Mastersluthier wrote:

many Southerners don't acknowledge that Lee surrendered, because he did so with out permission from President Jackson.

below is an excerpt taken from the record of Lee and Grants letters of correspondence prior to April 9th found at this link
:http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/appomattox-courthouse/appomattox-court-house-history/surrender.html


Note: Many point to Robert E. Lee's surrender on April 9, 1865 as the end of the American Civil War. This claim ignores the fact that other Confederate armies were still in the field and fighting after Lee's surrender. On April 26, 1865, Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston would surrender his forces to William T. Sherman in North Carolina. General Richard Taylor's forces in Alabama surrendered on May 4th. On June 2, 1865 General Edmund Kirby Smith surrendered the Confederate Department of the Trans-Mississippi. And on June 23, 1865, General Stand Watie surrendered his Cherokee forces to the Union army in Oklahoma.


So, you can see that the American Civil War did not end on April the 9th.. and for some in the south.. it is still being fought today.
Currently the North is weak and has come to rely on the southern states again for economic stability. The North has lost its moral compass while the South has a strong faith and creed. also many historians have pointed to a second Civil war one that is not fought with guns and bombs. but with business. much like the Chinese are doing to all of American at the moment.

the South WILL rise again there is no doubt in many Southerners minds that the moment to strike has not yet come, but it will.
and the people of the North will accept it gratefully.


Still salty about losing I see.

The Confederacy was a sad smear on american history, may it rot in it's hard earned grave as the testament to petulance, treason, and racism it really was under all the unmerited glorification and romance heaped on it's sorry memory. I'm sick of this Lost Cause of the South nonsense. Yes it was lost, and nothing of value went with it.

And as a proud elitist lobster eating Yankee who paaks his caa in the Haavaad Yard, I can say you severely overestimate how much rapport you have up here.
11577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17
I'm guessing that some people would see it as bad, kind of like showing off your bandage because you were a fucking stupid little shit teenager and accidentally got in an accident. Sure you're showing that your body preserved and that you got over it, but the fact that you had the wound in the first place is bad.

Plus some southerners are still a tad salty Not me of course
25640 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17
"I could not add anything material to the information existing on the subject. I think it wiser, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the example of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered." - Robert E. Lee

Feel free to put up more statues of him, though.
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 4/10/17
Well if the government won't celebrate it, let's do it ourselves.

Starting next year all Crunchyroll users will commemorate the end of the civil war by: playing North and South on NES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEIOBoKuwFM

I'm not even american and I'll still gladly join in. It's an important moment for human rights and we'd be celebrating by playing a cool game.
9344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 4/10/17
see, I didn't even know April 9th was the end of the Civil War

we definitely should
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.