Post Reply Tried the free trail. But issues with the site have decided for me that I'm not gonna stay.
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/17
The first and biggest issue is the predatory marketing practice that is the way you do your free trial. It wants a credit card, it signs you up for more payments automatically, and it makes it impossible to cancel future payments without also cancelling your free trial. It's fucking predatory and whomever came up with this idea is a scumbag who should feel ashamed.
The second issue. No advanced search options, no filters, no list of tags or instructions on how tags work on this site, many animes are badly tagged, etc. The search is just in general garbage. I looked around for something that recommends animes based on animes you like, no such thing exists on the site.
Plus several minor issues such as videos freezing if my browser is open on the same page for too long (several hours).

All in all this is not a service I would pay for. There's sites that make finding new anime easier than this site does, and there's places I can go to watch anime for free. This site does nothing unique, well designed, or particularly useful, but especially the predatory marketing practices are the worst.
6558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada Ontario
Offline
Posted 4/10/17
The first issue you bring up is something pretty much all buisinesses do.
A buisiness is out to make money. If they dont make money they dont survive. So its a given they will try to lure you in.
Also it clearly tells you that you will be charged at the end of the trial period so they arent going behind your back YOU agreed to that when you gave your payment info.

As for suguestions they offer the popular tab.
There is searching by genra.
As for tags they are working to add them it just takes time.
As for freezing try a 64 bit browser. I recomend 64 bit Firefox.

As for sites that offer anime free they are illegal to begin with. CR also gets all the anime first so you dont have to wait as long for it.
CR also makes sure their subs are properly translated. Other sites often mess up the subs.


11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17
Just because many businesses do it doesn't mean pretty much all do, and it especially doesn't mean crunchyroll has to, or that it is more acceptable that they do. That's like saying slavery was okay because everyone did it (for the sake of pointing out the issue with your logic, not because I think a site with predatory marketing is equal to slavery) Plus crunchyroll does it worse than most sites. For example amazon gave me a free trial of amazon prime completely for free and while I was signing up I had the option to make it a recurring payment or not. DURING SIGN UP. I didn't have to go into options, or jump through hoops, it was blatant, obvious, and I didn't have to wait until a month later to cancel it.
Predatory marketing is not okay and there are no excuses.

Popular is not the same as recommended. Most major companies know this. Take a look at youtubes algorithm for recommending videos. It's fucking fantastic. I don't CR to be on par with youtube, but if they aren't going to at least make an effort, why would I want to pay them my valuable money which I already don't have enough of?

If They want more robust tags, appoint a moderator, and allow any user with an account to modify tags. Having one person do all the tagging is good for when you first release a video, but you get more accurate (and just more) tags with user based tagging. Hell I bet there's users that would be willing to be moderators in their spare time for free.

I've never had any major issues with subs, plus I usually go for dubs (something this site seems to not have that much of) when it's available on account of not wanting to be attached to a screen 100% of the time I'm watching something.

Hey, here's an idea. Hire some dubbers, dub animes and have CR exclusive dubs. That's something I'd pay for.
6558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada Ontario
Offline
Posted 4/10/17

Sevikodkod wrote:

Just because many businesses do it doesn't mean pretty much all do, and it especially doesn't mean crunchyroll has to, or that it is more acceptable that they do. That's like saying slavery was okay because everyone did it (for the sake of pointing out the issue with your logic, not because I think a site with predatory marketing is equal to slavery) Plus crunchyroll does it worse than most sites. For example amazon gave me a free trial of amazon prime completely for free and while I was signing up I had the option to make it a recurring payment or not. DURING SIGN UP. I didn't have to go into options, or jump through hoops, it was just an option, and I didn't have to wait until a month later to cancel it.
Predatory marketing is not okay and there are no excuses.

Popular is not the same as recommended. Most major companies know this. Take a look at youtubes algorithm for recommending videos. It's fucking fantastic. I don't CR to be on par with youtube, but if they aren't going to at least make an effort, why would I want to pay them my valuable money which I already don't have enough of?

If They want more robust tags, appoint a moderator, and allow any user with an account to modify tags. Having one person do all the tagging is good for when you first release a video, but you get more accurate (and just more) tags with user based tagging. Hell I bet there's users that would be willing to be moderators in their spare time for free.

I've never had any major issues with subs, plus I usually go for dubs (something this site seems to not have that much of) when it's available on account of not wanting to be attached to a screen 100% of the time I'm watching something.

Hey, here's an idea. Hire some dubbers, dub animes and have CR exclusive dubs. That's something I'd pay for.


Dubs are FAR less popular than subs for many reasons.

If you want dubs go to FUNimation.

But a few of the problems with dubs.

Dubs end up making you miss content
Example 1 the ending of Code Geass is completely changed to a character dieing where in the subbed the character lives.
Example 2 Okabe in Steins Gate makes a joke by suddenly speaking broken English instead of Japanese. The joke was completely removed in the dubbed version.

There are not many dubbed voice actors so many voices sound alike.

There are quite a few notably bad dubbed voice actors that a lot of people hate

Most anime has not been dubbed so you wont get to watch it

Dubbed content is always months or years behind the subs.


As for the predatory thing you have to also consider CR doesnt want taken advantage of either. They arnt massive like amazon with huge servers. They can afford to let people take unfair advantage of their free trial. You are looking at it one sidedly


11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17
Either way the dubs are not the main issue. I prefer them, some people don't, whatever.

The thing about a free trial is that it's advertising. They SHOULD pay for it. They paid for it to be in the youtube video I watched, how much could it possibly cost for the extra server bandwidth compared to the ads they took out? It's not like anything is being stolen from them, they are just getting a bit more site activity for a while, and they would have made sure their servers were ready to handle the load before they even started the advertising. It's like when a store gives you store credit for returns. Sure they miss out on cash because they have a used product they can't sell or have to sell at a reduced price, but because the money they are losing out on goes back into their store it's not a huge loss. It's sort of the same with this. They already have the servers and the servers are being used by many people. The extra traffic from the free trial is nothing. Nobody is being taken advantage of, my presence on this site probably costs them a couple cents. If hundreds use the free trial and don't pay that's still a couple bucks. If thousands do it it's a couple hundred maybe.
Compared to the new subscriptions they get that probably balances out in the short term and earns them money in the long term, regardless of how many people freeload. There's really no reason for them to be dicks about it. In fact being dicks about it stresses people out and gives them bad experiences with the site, lowering the rate of subscription, which means they really are just shooting themselves in the foot with this.
6558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada Ontario
Offline
Posted 4/10/17
Yet the point is no one thinks its a dick move is but you...

Also server bandwidth costs stupid ammounts more than ads do =\

As for taking advantage I wasnt refering to freeloaders I was refering to DDoS attacks =\

Set up a program that keeps making free trials bogs down the system.

Program eventually gets blocked all free trials then bill the attacker. Due to this attackers dont DDoS the free trials
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/17
Okay so make it require a credit card, so you can deal with that, but allow for non-recurring payments. Problem solved. no DDoS attacks on free trials and no dick move. Also you say nobody but I guarantee you that's not the case. You're the only person who has responded to this, plus anyone who responds to this here is more likely to be biased in favor of CR. There's probably tons of people who saw how the free trial worked and were like "fuck that noise" and just didn't bother with it.
6558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada Ontario
Offline
Posted 4/10/17

Sevikodkod wrote:

Okay so make it require a credit card, so you can deal with that, but allow for non-recurring payments. Problem solved. no DDoS attacks on free trials and no dick move. Also you say nobody but I guarantee you that's not the case. You're the only person who has responded to this, plus anyone who responds to this here is more likely to be biased in favor of CR. There's probably tons of people who saw how the free trial worked and were like "fuck that noise" and just didn't bother with it.


The only people who have a probem with it aere the people who arnt willing to pay to begin with. The free trial is EXTRAS you can already use the site for FREE indefinatly. The fact you are complaining about it just shows you were just a freeloader to begin with. So what you are actually crying is

"Why CR are you making my life as a freeloader difficult let me take advantage of you easier"
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17
Oh the sites free normally? I didn't know that. I thought you needed to pay to get videos. So what are you even paying for then?
106041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 4/10/17

MrEnder1337 wrote:

Dubs end up making you miss content
Example 1 the ending of Code Geass is completely changed to a character dieing where in the subbed the character lives.

That is completely false.

I was still watching fansubs back when R2 aired, and saw the very same ending as is currently present in both the dubbed and subbed versions that are currently available.

It sounds like you were duped by a certain faked video.

23007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Online
Posted 4/10/17
Yeah, automatically signing you up is predatory. In any case, the tags are also complete crap.

MAL is something you will probably have to use.
6558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada Ontario
Offline
Posted 4/10/17

TheAncientOne wrote:


MrEnder1337 wrote:

Dubs end up making you miss content
Example 1 the ending of Code Geass is completely changed to a character dieing where in the subbed the character lives.

That is completely false.

I was still watching fansubs back when R2 aired, and saw the very same ending as is currently present in both the dubbed and subbed versions that are currently available.

It sounds like you were duped by a certain faked video.



No sir I see you missed some small important details ^.^

106041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 4/10/17 , edited 4/10/17

MrEnder1337 wrote:

No sir I see you missed some small important details ^.^


That was not the command that Suzaku was given by Lelouch.

You must be logged in to post.