First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Homophobia in people might make me quit watching anime
234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17
So.. How to say this.. Im gay, 23 years old, (though ppl think im straight, because I act straight it seems lol) , and ive been watcing anime for a while now, enduring fan service filled shows (even Highschool DxD). which I somehow endure just because I think it has a good story, music, characters etc. However theres something ive noticed in this medium which kinda makes me rethink what im doing.. Im going to talk about 2 things:

1- The community:
Now this doesnt apply to Everyone of course, but ive noticed that whenever a male homosexual character appears in an anime, such as Paranoia Agent ep 8, From the New World, or in Akame Ga Kill, the response (sometimes) is : eww that character is gay, or simply: gayyyyy. and i find that response So childish and offensive. you dont say that when its 2 girls do you??. at that moment when I read that I just think: hmm is this a really young child or a homophobic idiot? and its just kind of.. how to explain it..makes me not enjoy what im watching anymore, because If I cant feel accepted in what im seeing, whats the point in watching it? Now im thinking, what was the point in watching 200 episodes of Fairy Tail? What was the point in watching Gurren Laggan which had a horrible representation of a gay character?... Its as if a straight person was watching an anime purely about homosexual relationships and when a straight character appeared all the comments said: Ew a straight one, get rid of it its ruining the show! Ew a "breeder" (yes that word sounds horrible lol). So I ask of people who say things like (WHICH IVE SEEN ON CRUNCHYROLL FORUMS) "gay people should die" or " its an ilness" , to seriously rethink what they are saying and re evaluate themselves and the hate they have in them.

2- Gay representation in Anime:
Utena, From the New world, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Sakura Card captors, yuri kuma arashi, Yuri on Ice ( i think?) and more that im probably missing had great representations of gay characters, they just flowed with the story or were central to the story, I mean the director for utena and yuri kuma is gay himself, and i wish we saw more of that.. However it just maddens me how in most mainstream anime, a gay character usually falls under the stereotype of a really feminine or weird acting character. (Theres nothing wrong with being a feminine gay person, im just saying when thats all they represent) I myself am a mixture of feminine acting and male, thats why in my life, both straight and gay men and women usually find me attractive haha, but anwyay as I was saying, the representation is just limited to one OVERexagerated stereotype like in Gurren Laggan. Which sucks because I Loved that show. Do you see what I mean?

Closing comments:
I just want to be proven that there are still people with a brain and a heart.. people who even if they are straight, Dont care if there is a homosexual characer or relantionship in their show, like most of my friends. Are there any other gay, lesbian. trans, etc, people who feel how I do? or do you not mind about how most of the community reacts? Because I sincerely like to feel part of a show when im watching it, not a stranger to it . And honestly at this point i hate to admit it but I might quit watching it.. which sucks because ive loved anime for so long, but the sexist mysoginistic and homophobic trends I keep seing are keeping me from it. I Hope someone proves me wrong, because I dont want to leave the medium like this.. xx
5568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17
Honestly I'm not sure why you should care about how a community reacts to homosexuality if you already enjoy the medium. You're not a fan of the anime community, you're a fan of anime. Ignore it and move on.
234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17
good point however, I enjoy the medium but the medium also reflects the viewer. I think its good to discuss this, I could "ignore it and move on" as you say, but what im saying is sometimes those comments are more hurtful than they seem and we should be more accepting instead of throwing it under the rug. I Never complain or make posts like this so im just letting my thoughts out there.
11766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17
Well I can certainly agree about the point of the treatment of gay people in anime and that there aren't many anime that do particularly respectful or grounded gay characters. Actually that's not quite true, there are a lot of anime that do gay female characters very well, but I can probably count on one hand the times I've seen that done with a male character in anine and a few of those times would still include a female gaze aspect to it so I can understand you feeling a tad miffed about it.

I don't think you should really care one way or another about the community though. Something's fanbase should not be used to determine the quality of that thing, it should stand on its own merits. I'm just saying if I can play Sonic The Hedgehog games in spite of THAT franchise's fanbase then you can probably still watch anime.
155 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17
1. Those people are probably kids or idiots either ignore them or insult them back. If this was reversed I'd say the same thing.
2. Anime has (as u pointed out) made numerous shows with gay and lesbian characters so what's the problem? just cos you're not in every show? that can't be changed unless u want to be a token character. Also most characters in mainstream anime are stereotypes not just gay characters the writers probably don't interact with gay people irl so they use what they know.

If u leave anime or stop watching a show over this u didn't really like it is my opinion.
BTW Sorry if my wording comes off as harsh but i'm tired atm.
234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17
no i think you make a good point, I do like anime, but perhaps it just hurts me more than I think sometimes.. Ive just seen it too often, maybe I should stop reading the comment sections.
234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17
So for example im watching symphogear G, the girls have huge breasts which is fine, Im not going to be all like: "OMG, sexist, why are their breast so big when they look 12?" I accept it, and keep watching it, maybe even find it funny, i dont know i dont really mind but on the flip side, if a gay character appears.. maybe I shouldnt care what kids or retards say? I should be like: wow hes so hot, those abs are mine. :) hahaha. jk but i see your point, ill try and rethink about it, I still have a slight problem with it but if I can get over it and see the bigger picture I might be able to enjoy the shows. might.
29743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17
that's kind of gay man :^)
234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17
lol. thats kind of straight
8801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Definitely not EU
Offline
Posted 4/13/17

amifaingold wrote:

So.. How to say this.. Im gay


Cool


amifaingold wrote:

enduring fan service filled shows (even Highschool DxD).


How painful


amifaingold wrote:

in Akame Ga Kill, the response (sometimes) is : eww that character is gay, or simply: gayyyyy. and i find that response So childish and offensive. you dont say that when its 2 girls do you??.


Literally everyone I know who's watched Akame ga Kill loves Bro. And no the response isn't a childish 'gayyyyyy' but obviously as a straight person, it can come off as a surprise, just like finding out when a girl is gay, except as a normal red blooded straight male, it's normal to find that hot as opposed to 2 gay dudes. If you want some attention or love, go talk to some fan-girls who write shit about Levi x Eren.


amifaingold wrote:

most mainstream anime, a gay character usually falls under the stereotype of a really feminine or weird acting character.


This is no different than the stereotypical fat guy who's comedy relief or how every straight guy at the age of 15-17 life goal was to see a girls panties.

Overall you need to get over it, you're thinking way to much.
Cenric 
12734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17
As Mathar said most anime writers have no intention of making their characters realistic. More often then not they're using already established tropes because it's easy and works for many anime viewers. Anime is so out there I don't take it seriously anymore, just try to enjoy it for what it is and cherish the times something is actually done well.
As for people on the internet, if you can learning to just laugh at them is best. That's what I do anyway, idiotic craziness is always present.
1174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17
You're the minority so you're just gunna have to push through and shrug it off.

No offense to you or any other homosexuals but I don't see homosexuality as normal (and most likely never will) and there are a lot of countries that also see it that way and will treat it as such. I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc) and I can't stand it. People's sexuality should be kept to themselves and not shoved in our faces as if it's the norm.
8801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Definitely not EU
Offline
Posted 4/13/17

Sgtlunatics wrote:

I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc)


Lol then stop watching shows made for idiots

234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17
I think its okay that I state an opinion. I'm not the kind who goes to gay parade or does things like that, but I am a person who thinks love is love, it helps that im not religious so I dont have that stupid stigma of "being gay is a sin" but regardless, you have your views. You are straight and that is fine, and yes peoples sexuality should be kept to themselves, well so should homophobic comments. I find it sad that youll never find it normal that love is love.. that anyone can love anyone. I think you will someday. Honestly I think a part of you does think its OK, maybe you dont like seeing it in front of you or having too much of it, but Hate is a strong word.. And this is not only in the anime community but worldwide.
11766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17

Sgtlunatics wrote:

You're the minority so you're just gunna have to push through and shrug it off.

No offense to you or any other homosexuals but I don't see homosexuality as normal (and most likely never will) and there are a lot of countries that also see it that way and will treat it as such. I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc) and I can't stand it. People's sexuality should be kept to themselves and not shoved in our faces as if it's the norm.


LMAO. If you're surprised that someone's sexuality and who they date is brought up in a soap opera then I think it's you who needs to learn to shrug things off.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.