First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Homophobia in people might make me quit watching anime
1174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 4/13/17

octorockandroll wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:


DanteVSTheWorld wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:

I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc)


Lol then stop watching shows made for idiots



I never said I watched them. I just used them as an example.


octorockandroll wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:

You're the minority so you're just gunna have to push through and shrug it off.

No offense to you or any other homosexuals but I don't see homosexuality as normal (and most likely never will) and there are a lot of countries that also see it that way and will treat it as such. I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc) and I can't stand it. People's sexuality should be kept to themselves and not shoved in our faces as if it's the norm.


LMAO. If you're surprised that someone's sexuality and who they date is brought up in a soap opera then I think it's you who needs to learn to shrug things off.


Not surprising at all. UK is always pandering to SJW nonsense and what not. I don't particularly care what someone's sexuality is so long as they don't shove it in my face.


If your definition of "shoving it in my face" is acknowledging it, like just about any person does with anything then you just shoved your heterosexuality in all our faces. Of course I'm sure your response would be something detailing how it's okay for you to do it but when a gay person does it it's "SJW nonsense".


Heterosexuality is the norm though so it's not really shoving it in your face. If it wasn't I'm sure there wouldn't be billions of humans on the Earth :)

Let me share with you an example of what I mean when I don't want it shoved in my face.

Persona 5 was recently released on PS3 and PS4 and received high praise but in some reviews they marked the game down as a con for not having gay relationships. The developer did not intend to have any same-sex relationships and we're playing the story of this character. People want to push homosexuality into things such as art, media, etc when the original creator never intended such things.

Anyway, I have to go to work now so I'll just end it with this: I don't hate gay people, I just don't like it when it's pushed on to us like changing characters in a series to being interested in the same-sex all of a sudden when 3 seasons ago they had not even a speck of interest in it, crying over certain media not having options for same-sex themes when they weren't aimed at them in the first place, etc, etc.
234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17

IHateUsrnames wrote:

I don't really understand why the community is something that makes you consider quitting anime, seeing as how the community is something that can be completely ignored. I mean, why do you care what people say about something you watch, especially when it's people you're more than likely never going to meet face to face? If I let negative comments about various anime hinder my enjoyment, I'd probably never watch anime again, because someone is always going to have something negative to say about a show you enjoy watching. Just watch the show you enjoy and ignore the comments.


Thats something I can try, I made the mistake of seeing those comments after all. But I think its fine to state an opinion. Im just stating my thoughts on it. I know theres nothing I can do to help people like that posting those comments but in a way, it does kind of hinder the experienc. Even though its not face to face its like sitting in a small cinema room with people like that, however since its not face to face I guess I can accept that theres ppl with different views everywhere and assholes and move on
11403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 4/13/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:



I think a better example to support his claim Is Star Trek movie Hikari Sulu. I have to wonder, "why"?

I mean, Spock was written without much faithfulness, but his sudden homosexuality did not have that much point to it, and not only that, he was not canonically gay in the original series, and something George Takei spoke against when asking them to respect Roddenberry's creation.


That's different though. First off that wasn't for "SJW pandering" it was a tribute to the actor. A forced, uninteresting and downright stupid tribute, but a tribute nonetheless. Secondly as you noted yourself I believe a character coming out as gay can serve all kinds of narrative purposes in a romantic story and lead the audience through different emotions than it had before. In the example this dude is giving, there's no pandering, there's just gay people's existence being acknowledged.
29069 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 4/13/17

amifaingold wrote:


I had a friend who used to use the word Gayy for things. I just dont quite understand it. Just how other people might find another word offensive I do kind of find if offensive, for me its kinda just trivilazing who I am. Or making it seem gross or wrong.. I think the word Gay is meant to represent something beautiful.. and I thought in old English it meant happiness? Anyway you can use it all you want, I dont mind, me personally I only use it as a descriptor. So its fine to have differing opinions on that word. Maybe one day ill grow used to other ppl using it.


i can understand that it makes sense sadly you can't change others...i'm Autistic people make jokes about Autism all the time it's something you get used to heck ill even joke now and call things "Autistic" even though i used to feel the same as you do about the world gay.
223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 4/13/17

amifaingold wrote:


IHateUsrnames wrote:

I don't really understand why the community is something that makes you consider quitting anime, seeing as how the community is something that can be completely ignored. I mean, why do you care what people say about something you watch, especially when it's people you're more than likely never going to meet face to face? If I let negative comments about various anime hinder my enjoyment, I'd probably never watch anime again, because someone is always going to have something negative to say about a show you enjoy watching. Just watch the show you enjoy and ignore the comments.


Thats something I can try, I made the mistake of seeing those comments after all. But I think its fine to state an opinion. Im just stating my thoughts on it. I know theres nothing I can do to help people like that posting those comments but in a way, it does kind of hinder the experienc. Even though its not face to face its like sitting in a small cinema room with people like that, however since its not face to face I guess I can accept that theres ppl with different views everywhere and assholes and move on


Stating an opinion is fine. I'm just saying that, why let the Internet affect your enjoyment of something. I mean... it's the Internet.
11403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17

Sgtlunatics wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:


DanteVSTheWorld wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:

I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc)


Lol then stop watching shows made for idiots



I never said I watched them. I just used them as an example.


octorockandroll wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:

You're the minority so you're just gunna have to push through and shrug it off.

No offense to you or any other homosexuals but I don't see homosexuality as normal (and most likely never will) and there are a lot of countries that also see it that way and will treat it as such. I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc) and I can't stand it. People's sexuality should be kept to themselves and not shoved in our faces as if it's the norm.


LMAO. If you're surprised that someone's sexuality and who they date is brought up in a soap opera then I think it's you who needs to learn to shrug things off.


Not surprising at all. UK is always pandering to SJW nonsense and what not. I don't particularly care what someone's sexuality is so long as they don't shove it in my face.


If your definition of "shoving it in my face" is acknowledging it, like just about any person does with anything then you just shoved your heterosexuality in all our faces. Of course I'm sure your response would be something detailing how it's okay for you to do it but when a gay person does it it's "SJW nonsense".


Heterosexuality is the norm though so it's not really shoving it in your face. If it wasn't I'm sure there wouldn't be billions of humans on the Earth :)

Let me share with you an example of what I mean when I don't want it shoved in my face.

Persona 5 was recently released on PS3 and PS4 and received high praise but in some reviews they marked the game down as a con for not having gay relationships. The developer did not intend to have any same-sex relationships and we're playing the story of this character. People want to push homosexuality into things such as art, media, etc when the original creator never intended such things.

Anyway, I have to go to work now so I'll just end it with this: I don't hate gay people, I just don't like it when it's pushed on to us like changing characters in a series to being interested in the same-sex all of a sudden when 3 seasons ago they had not even a speck of interest in it, crying over certain media not having options for same-sex themes when they weren't aimed at them in the first place, etc, etc.


That is literally the very thing you are doing, you are absolutely crying over media that isn't aimed at you except you want to scrub gay people from said media instead of add them. You are literally doing the same thing you're railing against but for the opposite perspective. At least it's good to know I called it with your "it's okay when straight people do it but whenever a gay person does it it's SJW pandering" attitude. I like to think of myself as a good prognosticator so a minor affirmation like that is always welcome.
234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17

Sgtlunatics wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:


DanteVSTheWorld wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:

I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc)


Lol then stop watching shows made for idiots



I never said I watched them. I just used them as an example.


octorockandroll wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:

You're the minority so you're just gunna have to push through and shrug it off.

No offense to you or any other homosexuals but I don't see homosexuality as normal (and most likely never will) and there are a lot of countries that also see it that way and will treat it as such. I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc) and I can't stand it. People's sexuality should be kept to themselves and not shoved in our faces as if it's the norm.


LMAO. If you're surprised that someone's sexuality and who they date is brought up in a soap opera then I think it's you who needs to learn to shrug things off.


Not surprising at all. UK is always pandering to SJW nonsense and what not. I don't particularly care what someone's sexuality is so long as they don't shove it in my face.


If your definition of "shoving it in my face" is acknowledging it, like just about any person does with anything then you just shoved your heterosexuality in all our faces. Of course I'm sure your response would be something detailing how it's okay for you to do it but when a gay person does it it's "SJW nonsense".


Heterosexuality is the norm though so it's not really shoving it in your face. If it wasn't I'm sure there wouldn't be billions of humans on the Earth :)

Let me share with you an example of what I mean when I don't want it shoved in my face.

Persona 5 was recently released on PS3 and PS4 and received high praise but in some reviews they marked the game down as a con for not having gay relationships. The developer did not intend to have any same-sex relationships and we're playing the story of this character. People want to push homosexuality into things such as art, media, etc when the original creator never intended such things.

Anyway, I have to go to work now so I'll just end it with this: I don't hate gay people, I just don't like it when it's pushed on to us like changing characters in a series to being interested in the same-sex all of a sudden when 3 seasons ago they had not even a speck of interest in it, crying over certain media not having options for same-sex themes when they weren't aimed at them in the first place, etc, etc.


I get your point how you dont like it pushed on to you. But did you know ( no offence to christians or catholics) that before christianity, there was no such thing as Heterosexual or Homosexual? or even the concept or word Gay? In ancient Greece men had sex with men And Women, and there was no word for it, even in ancient Japan, there was an older male and a younger male, and they still had wives.. So there is no such thing as a "norm", culturally or religiously it was unfortunately made as a "norm" So we could say its fairly modern the idea that heterosexuality is the norm. Im not shoving it down your face im just giving you information. And I totally respect how a work of art,etc. should include whatever it wants to in its work. But there is nothing nothing wrong with having homosexual characters involved, If its not your kinda thing, just dont watch/play it.

Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17
Gay characters in anime tend to be joke characters dude. Unless you're talking about yaoi manga, in that case you have to wonder why the heck the people you're talking about view it in the first place.
2425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Miami/Hawaii
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17

DanteVSTheWorld wrote:


amifaingold wrote:

So.. How to say this.. Im gay


Cool


amifaingold wrote:

enduring fan service filled shows (even Highschool DxD).


How painful


amifaingold wrote:

in Akame Ga Kill, the response (sometimes) is : eww that character is gay, or simply: gayyyyy. and i find that response So childish and offensive. you dont say that when its 2 girls do you??.


Literally everyone I know who's watched Akame ga Kill loves Bro. And no the response isn't a childish 'gayyyyyy' but obviously as a straight person, it can come off as a surprise, just like finding out when a girl is gay, except as a normal red blooded straight male, it's normal to find that hot as opposed to 2 gay dudes. If you want some attention or love, go talk to some fan-girls who write shit about Levi x Eren.


amifaingold wrote:

most mainstream anime, a gay character usually falls under the stereotype of a really feminine or weird acting character.


This is no different than the stereotypical fat guy who's comedy relief or how every straight guy at the age of 15-17 life goal was to see a girls panties.

Overall you need to get over it, you're thinking way to much.


I hadn't read a single response past the first page when typing this however this was probably the most well-rounded, unbiased, "cold turkey" response (in rebuttal to the initial claim)^^
1174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 4/13/17

octorockandroll wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:


DanteVSTheWorld wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:

I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc)


Lol then stop watching shows made for idiots



I never said I watched them. I just used them as an example.


octorockandroll wrote:


Sgtlunatics wrote:

You're the minority so you're just gunna have to push through and shrug it off.

No offense to you or any other homosexuals but I don't see homosexuality as normal (and most likely never will) and there are a lot of countries that also see it that way and will treat it as such. I hate my country because they keep pandering and adding gay themes in almost everything now (e.g. soaps like Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc) and I can't stand it. People's sexuality should be kept to themselves and not shoved in our faces as if it's the norm.


LMAO. If you're surprised that someone's sexuality and who they date is brought up in a soap opera then I think it's you who needs to learn to shrug things off.


Not surprising at all. UK is always pandering to SJW nonsense and what not. I don't particularly care what someone's sexuality is so long as they don't shove it in my face.


If your definition of "shoving it in my face" is acknowledging it, like just about any person does with anything then you just shoved your heterosexuality in all our faces. Of course I'm sure your response would be something detailing how it's okay for you to do it but when a gay person does it it's "SJW nonsense".


Heterosexuality is the norm though so it's not really shoving it in your face. If it wasn't I'm sure there wouldn't be billions of humans on the Earth :)

Let me share with you an example of what I mean when I don't want it shoved in my face.

Persona 5 was recently released on PS3 and PS4 and received high praise but in some reviews they marked the game down as a con for not having gay relationships. The developer did not intend to have any same-sex relationships and we're playing the story of this character. People want to push homosexuality into things such as art, media, etc when the original creator never intended such things.

Anyway, I have to go to work now so I'll just end it with this: I don't hate gay people, I just don't like it when it's pushed on to us like changing characters in a series to being interested in the same-sex all of a sudden when 3 seasons ago they had not even a speck of interest in it, crying over certain media not having options for same-sex themes when they weren't aimed at them in the first place, etc, etc.


That is literally the very thing you are doing, you are absolutely crying over media that isn't aimed at you except you want to scrub gay people from said media instead of add them. You are literally doing the same thing you're railing against but for the opposite perspective. At least it's good to know I called it with your "it's okay when straight people do it but whenever a gay person does it it's SJW pandering" attitude. I like to think of myself as a good prognosticator so a minor affirmation like that is always welcome.


No i'm not. Most Soaps were never focused on gays in the first place so it was at me, the normie. (Not like i'd watch that trash anyway) There's also lots of anime aimed at yuri/yaoi fans but I don't complain about them, I just don't watch them.
2518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17
You really shouldn't be concerned about what others think but this is super easy to say and not always easy to do. All of us to some extent care what a group of our peers thinks and everyone wants to be accepted but at the same time if you enjoy something then enjoy it and don't worry about what other people say or do. As a gay person I'm sure you've had to deal with your fair share (or maybe even more than your fair share) of adversity. Did you allow that adversity to define who you are? How many people have you run into in real life that were homophobic or just plain ignorant or hurtful? Probably as much or more than anyone else I imagine. Now did you allow those people to sway who you are and who you've become? It doesn't sound like you did so. You are openly gay and are being true to your real self so you didn't allow other people to dictate who you get to be. So why would you allow others to dictate whether you like anime or not? You shouldn't.

Now I can give you my own thoughts on gay characters in anime. Honestly I just like really well written characters and too often I find myself annoyed at gay characters for all of the same cliché's that you mentioned above. My biggest complaint I have with Japanese anime's handling of gay characters is that all too often these relationships are based more on abuse and sex than actual love, intimacy, togetherness, loyalty, etc. All too often these shows have a much older male who usually somehow abuses (even physically) a much younger adolescent who years later realizes he's now gay and runs back into his former (abuser/mentor) and they now start a relationship. I see it over and over again and even Yuri on Ice had a bit of that going on. At least it seemed that way to me It's almost as if the whole anime industry is dead set against showing a real relationship. Why do 90% of all gay male relationships in anime have the relationships foundations built on lies, deceit, abuse, neglect, rejection instead of trust and love. I find very few anime's that deal with this matter very naturally. I don't like abuse in any format and certainly not in anime. Over and over again you see the older guy abuse the younger one, even blackmailing him at times to get his way. He treats the young man poorly, makes fun of him, is a jerk to him but it's okay because hey now I'm gay and I need you and love you because you were the one who showed me who I am. That's not love. I don't know what it is but I don't like it. I would no more like it if it were two girls than I do with two guys. I like love stories and romance but not garbage like that. In real life the abuser would hopefully go to prison, not get rewarded with a loyal companion. That is my main gripe about the characterizations of gay people in anime. They do it every so often with regular couples and females too. Also a lot of times their gay/bi/lesbian characters feel more like afterthoughts and are too horribly cliché for me to enjoy properly.

Maybe I've just been unfortunate enough not to find a good anime that depicts real gay people, real lesbians, real relationships. Maybe one day I'll find one that shows a loving relationship between two men. One that is based on honesty and love instead of abuse and cliché's. I'm open to any suggestions if you know of any good ones.
234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17

salamisama wrote:


DanteVSTheWorld wrote:


amifaingold wrote:

So.. How to say this.. Im gay


Cool


amifaingold wrote:

enduring fan service filled shows (even Highschool DxD).


How painful


amifaingold wrote:

in Akame Ga Kill, the response (sometimes) is : eww that character is gay, or simply: gayyyyy. and i find that response So childish and offensive. you dont say that when its 2 girls do you??.


Literally everyone I know who's watched Akame ga Kill loves Bro. And no the response isn't a childish 'gayyyyyy' but obviously as a straight person, it can come off as a surprise, just like finding out when a girl is gay, except as a normal red blooded straight male, it's normal to find that hot as opposed to 2 gay dudes. If you want some attention or love, go talk to some fan-girls who write shit about Levi x Eren.


amifaingold wrote:

most mainstream anime, a gay character usually falls under the stereotype of a really feminine or weird acting character.


This is no different than the stereotypical fat guy who's comedy relief or how every straight guy at the age of 15-17 life goal was to see a girls panties.

Overall you need to get over it, you're thinking way to much.


I hadn't read a single response past the first page when typing this however this was probably the most well-rounded, unbiased, "cold turkey" response (in rebuttal to the initial claim)^^


I think there were better responses on this page. I think because this is the internet comments come about as aggresive. However I respect your opinion and you made a good point about the fat character and the straight character. Ill keep that in mind. I dont care about shippig as you said about Levi x Eren so I dont care about that comment you made, Im not looking for attention or love since I have too much of that in my life anyway but thanks for your input. It is Appreciated
2425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Miami/Hawaii
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17


Tbh, I didn't expect this thread carry on docile-natured, but I have to say OP you've handled responses maturely ^^ +1 for non over-problematic thread, seems quite rare to have this.

(In the sense that things didn't get personal, of course there are opinions of different perspective like yours and my own.)
234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:

You really shouldn't be concerned about what others think but this is super easy to say and not always easy to do. All of us to some extent care what a group of our peers thinks and everyone wants to be accepted but at the same time if you enjoy something then enjoy it and don't worry about what other people say or do. As a gay person I'm sure you've had to deal with your fair share (or maybe even more than your fair share) of adversity. Did you allow that adversity to define who you are? How many people have you run into in real life that were homophobic or just plain ignorant or hurtful? Probably as much or more than anyone else I imagine. Now did you allow those people to sway who you are and who you've become? It doesn't sound like you did so. You are openly gay and are being true to your real self so you didn't allow other people to dictate who you get to be. So why would you allow others to dictate whether you like anime or not? You shouldn't.

Now I can give you my own thoughts on gay characters in anime. Honestly I just like really well written characters and too often I find myself annoyed at gay characters for all of the same cliché's that you mentioned above. My biggest complaint I have with Japanese anime's handling of gay characters is that all too often these relationships are based more on abuse and sex than actual love, intimacy, togetherness, loyalty, etc. All too often these shows have a much older male who usually somehow abuses (even physically) a much younger adolescent who years later realizes he's now gay and runs back into his former (abuser/mentor) and they now start a relationship. I see it over and over again and even Yuri on Ice had a bit of that going on. At least it seemed that way to me It's almost as if the whole anime industry is dead set against showing a real relationship. Why do 90% of all gay male relationships in anime have the relationships foundations built on lies, deceit, abuse, neglect, rejection instead of trust and love. I find very few anime's that deal with this matter very naturally. I don't like abuse in any format and certainly not in anime. Over and over again you see the older guy abuse the younger one, even blackmailing him at times to get his way. He treats the young man poorly, makes fun of him, is a jerk to him but it's okay because hey now I'm gay and I need you and love you because you were the one who showed me who I am. That's not love. I don't know what it is but I don't like it. I would no more like it if it were two girls than I do with two guys. I like love stories and romance but not garbage like that. In real life the abuser would hopefully go to prison, not get rewarded with a loyal companion. That is my main gripe about the characterizations of gay people in anime. They do it every so often with regular couples and females too. Also a lot of times their gay/bi/lesbian characters feel more like afterthoughts and are too horribly cliché for me to enjoy properly.

Maybe I've just been unfortunate enough not to find a good anime that depicts real gay people, real lesbians, real relationships. Maybe one day I'll find one that shows a loving relationship between two men. One that is based on honesty and love instead of abuse and cliché's. I'm open to any suggestions if you know of any good ones.


Thank you so much hmm in my life i havent had much adversity, the only adversity i find funnily enough is online, but that cant be helped, maybe thats why I bring it up, because I have never encountered it in my life? But you have given me great advice and one of the best comments on this thread so far And yes I agree on how relationships even in general are portrayed in anime, straight or gay. Expect maybe for white album 2.
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17
As a trans guy (who gets mistaken for a butch lesbian a lot..), I feel your pain. I avoided a lot of things that I enjoyed for a long time, due to how the community treated the characters. I think that positive visibility is still a thing that a lot of show writers can work on. It wasn't until I started watching The Fosters (ABC/Freeform show on Netflix) that I saw a trans masculine character that wasn't instantly killed or ridiculed.
Sometimes, how the community acts does determine how a show flows. If a character isn't popular with the majority of people who watch the show, why keep them around? Unfortunately, a lot of those characters end up being POC, or MOGAI/LGBT, or have mental illness, or something else that makes them human and relate-able.
If the show is alright, but the community sucks, perhaps you shouldn't read the comments for that show. But that's just my two cents.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.