First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Driving Over The Speed Limit
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/13/17


a relative of mine got a traffic ticket recently (failure to obey traffic light).

I didn't know you can take the traffic class online now a day...

"it's against the law to drive over the speed limit-- "

I'm one of those drivers who will drive 5 miles over the limit -- except for school zones 15mph (1 mile over) and it's 2x the fine.. so..

driving 5 miles over the limit is slow around here-- there are people pushing 10 miles over on 65 limit around here

you can receive a ticket driving under the speed limit (especially on freeway)
15868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/14/17
I usually go 5 over or 10 over on the highway. Its not uncommon to see people going 20-30 over on the highway though, so I'm usually considered a slow or average driver.
55268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/14/17
I was told the HIghway patrol officers allow driver go little over 5 miles an hour so if the speed limit is 75, can go up to 79.. But if it 45, and going 50 you might get ticket.

I did get ticket long time ago for driving 35 mile an hour on 30 miles an hour zone.. I told police officer that I thought it was 35, never knew it was 30.. He sort of nods. I noticed there long road that have 35 mile an hour zone half way though and it change to 30, that part can get lot of drivers get tickets. But, I'm sure officers understand the confusing. Since I rarely seen anyone get pull over b police officer in that area.
18866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/14/17
if im the only one on the road, ill drive as fast as my car can safely maintain.
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/14/17

JanusCascade wrote:

I was told the HIghway patrol officers allow driver go little over 5 miles an hour so if the speed limit is 75, can go up to 79.. But if it 45, and going 50 you might get ticket.

I did get ticket long time ago for driving 35 mile an hour on 30 miles an hour zone.. I told police officer that I thought it was 35, never knew it was 30.. He sort of nods. I noticed there long road that have 35 mile an hour zone half way though and it change to 30, that part can get lot of drivers get tickets. But, I'm sure officers understand the confusing. Since I rarely seen anyone get pull over b police officer in that area.



i drive 50 on 45 limit all the time around here-- been driving like this since i got my driver license-- no ticket for speeding yet

i think around here 5 mile over the limit is safe-- 10 mile over the limit is the borderline since i heard some police departments will pull people over when they are 11 mile over the limit

there are sections of the freeway where i have to be careful of

like when a 65 limit freeway connected to a 55 limit freeway -- driving 70mph on a 55 mph limit freeway = a speeding ticket

there are city streets where the speed limit dropped by 10 within 1 mile distance on the same street!! driving 50 on a 45 at one point then the posted speed limit dropped to 35 1 mile or so down the road

we need a car that can auto adjust its speed base on the posted speed limit
55268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/14/17

dulun18 wrote:


JanusCascade wrote:

I was told the HIghway patrol officers allow driver go little over 5 miles an hour so if the speed limit is 75, can go up to 79.. But if it 45, and going 50 you might get ticket.

I did get ticket long time ago for driving 35 mile an hour on 30 miles an hour zone.. I told police officer that I thought it was 35, never knew it was 30.. He sort of nods. I noticed there long road that have 35 mile an hour zone half way though and it change to 30, that part can get lot of drivers get tickets. But, I'm sure officers understand the confusing. Since I rarely seen anyone get pull over b police officer in that area.



i drive 50 on 45 limit all the time around here-- been driving like this since i got my driver license-- no ticket for speeding yet

i think around here 5 mile over the limit is safe-- 10 mile over the limit is the borderline since i heard some police departments will pull people over when they are 11 mile over the limit

there are sections of the freeway where i have to be careful of

like when a 65 limit freeway connected to a 55 limit freeway -- driving 70mph on a 55 mph limit freeway = a speeding ticket

there are city streets where the speed limit dropped by 10 within 1 mile distance on the same street!! driving 50 on a 45 at one point then the posted speed limit dropped to 35 1 mile or so down the road

we need a car that can auto adjust its speed base on the posted speed limit


I was told its really depend on Police Officers.. I thought that Police officers had to have Ouota per month on giving out tickets, but found out its a myth. My sister is dating a Highway Patrol officer, that how I know that.

I know that for 100% fact that if you're going over 20 miles an hour during school zone, you will get tickets heh.

I noticed on the Bridge people alway go 55 miles per hour and they're supposely go 40 miles an hour.

569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Behind You With A...
Offline
Posted 4/13/17 , edited 4/14/17
i speed a lot...

variable cam timing is good for the soul...
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/15/17 , edited 4/15/17

JanusCascade wrote:

I was told its really depend on Police Officers.. I thought that Police officers had to have Ouota per month on giving out tickets, but found out its a myth. My sister is dating a Highway Patrol officer, that how I know that.

I know that for 100% fact that if you're going over 20 miles an hour during school zone, you will get tickets heh.

I noticed on the Bridge people alway go 55 miles per hour and they're supposely go 40 miles an hour.


if it was some small police department in some rural areas with insufficient fundings.. maybe there's quota per month going on

20 miles in a school zone ?

there are 2 different school zone speed

35mph and 15mph

you can drive 5 miles over 35 and it's fine.. but driving 5 miles over 15mph then it's 2x the fine for you around here

bridge? like the freeway overpass ? i think it's 50mph here.. but people will always pushing 65-75mph

it's dangerous driving at high speed when you are turning around the curve + being 40-50+ ft above the ground..
13315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 4/15/17 , edited 4/15/17
I have never gotten a ticket in my 7 years of driving. I tend to go 3 over the speed limit max. All I need to worry about since most of my driving is 70 mph to 80 mph. Going 5 miles over the speed limit would save me all of 20 minutes or so on my 8 hour drive when I factor in food and what not. Twenty minutes of a full day of driving really doesn't bother me.

It just means I can listen to "The Greatest Show on Earth - Nightwish" one more time!
51875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/17 , edited 4/16/17
At 5 or 10 on the highway its usually pretty safe. Anything higher in a residential area or a school zone and your asking for a ticket.
5129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 4/15/17 , edited 4/16/17
Haven't gotten a ticket yet, and have been driving for 7 years now, pretty proud of that.

I always seem to miss the cops. Usually on the other side of the divider or not in their usual spots.

Hate to say it but I'm usually 25 or more over the limit. In my small town, everyone knows that the 15mph school zone limit is ridiculous, so unless it's classes are getting in or out, everyone goes 30-40.
5405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
67 / M / Arizona
Online
Posted 4/15/17 , edited 4/16/17
I am usually on the back of a motorcycle. I don't play the game of constantly changing lanes like some do. But, I will go with the flow of traffic. On one freeway the limit is 55 MPH. To more or less keep up with the traffic I am doing 70 to 75, and the cages are still passing me.

Where are you all from where you can get a ticket for 5 over the limit? Here in Arizona the highway patrol usually doesn't bother with you unless you are going more the 12 over. I think being ticketed for 5 over is a crock and just a way for them to make money. Most speedos are off by atleast that much.
5255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/15/17 , edited 4/16/17
Legally you can get a ticket for driving just 1 mile over the speed limit. but almost no one is going to waste time on a ticket that is sure to be thrown out if contested.
20031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / missouri
Offline
Posted 4/15/17 , edited 4/16/17
I speed sometimes, like if i'm late for work. I don't drive over 80 unless I realy have to get some where but the fastest I've driven for an extended period of time is 95. Driving to slow is a hazard for big trucks who can't slow down or swerve fast enough to avoid you when your over the top of a hill somewhere they can't see you in advance.
qwueri 
24168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 4/15/17 , edited 4/16/17
Only driving 5 miles over is asking to have some jerkass riding your bumper where I live -_-*
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.