First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Christians most persecuted group in the world
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

Dark_Alma wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Okay I get that assholes like to shit on atheism constantly for no reason but what the hell kinds of jails are only filled eith believers?


But those two are like the most popular religions there are


All right, lets lower it to per capita!



Okay, I guess that's fair but that still doesn't mean correlation equals causation.
11841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

descloud wrote:


karatecowboy wrote:


descloud wrote:

I do feel sorry for those who lost their lives, it is truly sad. But I take no pity on Christianity itself. The criticism and resent it receives is rightly deserved.


What part of Christ's teachings do you think warrant resentment and criticism, and why?


The whole thing should be. But I'll answer your question with specific parts that are especially notable for their terrible logic.

-The bible was written by man and "surely" would never have any contridictions.

-Jesus is God and man at the same time.

-Jonah lived in a whale

-Slavery is okay

-Beating your wife is okay

-Abraham thought sacrificing his kid was okay

-God is benevolent regardless of the fact he sends people to hell who don't believe in him


I think Iv made my point why it's criticism is well deserved.


O.......K........ sounds like someone has consumed a highly bigoted overview of Christianity. What you wrote sounds like something I'd find on r/Atheism. Point by point:


-The bible was written by man and "surely" would never have any contridictions.
Not really sure what the flaw is here. Is it that humans recorded the Bible? Would you find it more reasonable to say ants did? Marsupials?

-Jesus is God and man at the same time.
If you believe the Universe has a Cause and that Cause is sentient and extremely powerful, then I don't see how this could be unreasonable, much less impossible or ridiculous.

-Jonah lived in a whale
If IIRC something like this has actually happened in the early 1900's. Even so, stranger things have happened. Also, you make it sound like he built a house and made his residence, when all he really did is survive.

-Slavery is okay
Yeah that's demonstrably false by most definitions of slavery. And, the thralldom of the Old Testament served a very important role in a society that had no prisons for criminals.

-Beating your wife is okay
Pretty sure Christianity doesn't teach that. On the contrary, Paul says, literally, "Husbands care for your wives as your own flesh".

-Abraham thought sacrificing his kid was okay
First of all, that's not a teaching of Christianity: that sacrificing your kid is OK. That's just a record of what one person did in a specific instance. Also, pretty sure he really, really didn't want to.

-God is benevolent regardless of the fact he sends people to hell who don't believe in him
This is too nebulous to really address. You'll have to clarify. Not only that, but believing in God doesn't get you out of Hell. Satan believes in God as well.

All in all, the teachings and doctrines you list out a distorted enough that I can say they don't represent the body of any mainstream denomination, much less Catholicism.
11841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

MonoDreams wrote:

Pretty sad that this thread pretty much turned to crap instantly...


Well, it just goes to show: Christians could, quite literally, be the most persecuted group in the world. It won't stop extremist haters from coming in and bombing bigot-bile all over.
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/15/17

nerdtox wrote:

You didn't respond in that thread when I asked:


Tell me a christian country where they kill homosexuals and treat women like shit based on the teachings of their holy book?tell me where Jesus married a child or called for wars and the killing of unbelievers/non-christians and people do this because of that?


So tell me what part of the new testament says it is ok to kill gays, marry children and kill non-christians?

I would have liked this to be kept on that thread but since you're talking behind my back, I have to mention it here.


1.) Nowhere in the new testament does it say to stop listening to the old testament
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets" (context: Jesus sayig that he is not here to replace the old teachings of The Lord)

2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," (affirmation in the new testament that all scripture applies)


2.) Every mainstream branch of Christianity considers the two equally cannon

3.) The old testament is routinely cited during mass

As for a christian country that treated gay people and women like shit, you alluded to one in your first post on this thread.
11841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

descloud wrote:

Yeah I just read his response, he will believe what we wants regardless of what I tell him. I would have continued with this had you not reminded me how pointless it is to debate this.

I'll see ya around XD


Completely ignoring your ad hominem attacks: if what you wrote is indicative of your general argument against Christianity then yes, I won't believe much of what you have to say, because it's an extremely inaccurate, distorted view of mainstream Christianity. If you can't grasp our faith accurately then you certainly can't criticize it with any merit. For example: you say Christianity teaches beating your wife is OK. That's demonstrably false in so many ways. It's not just wrong, it's out of touch. As a Catholic I've mingled with a lot of Protestants but I'd be hard pressed to find a denomination that teaches that. You'd really have to go to the extremities to find anything like that. And, in that case, they'd be easily contradicted with scripture.

Then, maybe I'm wasting my time. Maybe discussion and examination is not what you're after. Maybe you just wanted to walk in, take a dump on people, and walk out.

13315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

karatecowboy wrote:

All in all, the teachings and doctrines you list out a distorted enough that I can say they don't represent the body of any mainstream denomination, much less Catholicism.


Let me jump in on the fun!

If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you. Deuteronomy 22

1 Samuel 15:2-3
Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’”
Genocide #1 yay!

Deuteronomy 3:4-6
And we took all his cities at that time—there was not a city that we did not take from them—sixty cities, the whole region of Argob, the kingdom of Og in Bashan. All these were cities fortified with high walls, gates, and bars, besides very many unwalled villages. And we devoted them to destruction, as we did to Sihon the king of Heshbon, devoting to destruction every city, men, women, and children.
Genocide #2 yay!

Then we get the genocide of the flood, tower of babel, and Sodom and Gomorra. Plenty of genocide. Lots of love. Genocide with love? <3

We then get into the mess of Christianity and their hatred of LGBT. To me this is just unneeded hatred due to the bible. There is a lot I find wrong with the fundamentals of the current Christian doctrine. That is why I left it. I was a bigoted little twat when I was a Christian. I hurt so many people of different beliefs and thoughts. Thank god I opened my eyes.
1228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Minnesota
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17
If you mean persecution by muslims, I'd say atheists, jews, and gays have it worse. Maybe Hindus too at least in India they are often lynched by muslim mobs.

Also I'm an atheist but I'm glad Christians ignore the shitty aspects of the bible. The only real religion still raising hell based on bronze age fairy tales is Islam and 2nd place isn't even close.
9847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17
For as much as you hate it, you sure do talk about it a lot, lmao. Time well spent huh? Good day.
11841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

octorockandroll wrote:

I already called out your bullshit about pretending half the bible "doesn't count" but I guess you need me to go over it with a fine toothed comb

1.) Nowhere in the new testament does it say to stop listening to the old testament
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets" (context: Jesus sayig that he is not here to replace the old teachings of The Lord)

2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," (affirmation in the new testament that all scripture applies)


2.) Every mainstream branch of Christianity considers the two equally cannon

3.) The old testament is routinely cited during mass

As for a christian country that treated gay people and women like shit, you alluded to one in your first post on this thread. If you can't figure it out yourself then you're just proving my point of you being willfully ignorant.


It's not that the Old Testament doesn't count, but rather there are parts of Mosaic Law that have been fulfilled and no longer apply. He's a little cheeky about it, but Lutheran Satire does a somewhat entertaining breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r2m_cffRjI


The stuff he's talking about with Mosaic Law is not anything new or extreme; it's mainstream Christian teaching going back centuries. However, he talks about the Moral Law and the Ceremonial Law, but forgets the Civil Law. Nevertheless, the principle is the same.
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

AllMightt wrote:

If you mean persecution by muslims, I'd say atheists, jews, and gays have it worse. Maybe Hindus too at least in India they are often lynched by muslim mobs.


Thing is that those groups aren't nearly as big as Christians. Though if we're going by amount of people attacked per capita, there's a chance you would be right.
11841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

Dark_Alma wrote:

If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you. Deuteronomy 22

1 Samuel 15:2-3
Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’”
Genocide #1 yay!

Deuteronomy 3:4-6
And we took all his cities at that time—there was not a city that we did not take from them—sixty cities, the whole region of Argob, the kingdom of Og in Bashan. All these were cities fortified with high walls, gates, and bars, besides very many unwalled villages. And we devoted them to destruction, as we did to Sihon the king of Heshbon, devoting to destruction every city, men, women, and children.
Genocide #2 yay!

Then we get the genocide of the flood, tower of babel, and Sodom and Gomorra. Plenty of genocide. Lots of love. Genocide with love? <3

We then get into the mess of Christianity and their hatred of LGBT. To me this is just unneeded hatred due to the bible. There is a lot I find wrong with the fundamentals of the current Christian doctrine. That is why I left it. I was a bigoted little twat when I was a Christian. I hurt so many people of different beliefs and thoughts. Thank god I opened my eyes.


One of the first rules of scripture study, or even any text, is that "A text without a context is a pretext". A bunch of quotes deliberately divorced from their contexts is not a valid criticism; it's a straw man.

Oh, and BTW, hatred of mental illness, which you euphemize as "trans", is just normal and healthy. Anyone should want to get rid of mental illness. If you love health then you hate when people collaborate with illness.
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

karatecowboy wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

I already called out your bullshit about pretending half the bible "doesn't count" but I guess you need me to go over it with a fine toothed comb

1.) Nowhere in the new testament does it say to stop listening to the old testament
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets" (context: Jesus sayig that he is not here to replace the old teachings of The Lord)

2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," (affirmation in the new testament that all scripture applies)


2.) Every mainstream branch of Christianity considers the two equally cannon

3.) The old testament is routinely cited during mass

As for a christian country that treated gay people and women like shit, you alluded to one in your first post on this thread. If you can't figure it out yourself then you're just proving my point of you being willfully ignorant.


It's not that the Old Testament doesn't count, but rather there are parts of Mosaic Law that have been fulfilled and no longer apply. He's a little cheeky about it, but Lutheran Satire does a somewhat entertaining breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r2m_cffRjI


The stuff he's talking about with Mosaic Law is not anything new or extreme; it's mainstream Christian teaching going back centuries. However, he talks about the Moral Law and the Ceremonial Law, but forgets the Civil Law. Nevertheless, the principle is the same.


I'll watch the whole thing later when I have more time but I will say that my whole point is that it's okay to not listen to archaic or outdated parts of whatever your religious text is that may incite you to do bad things, it's good even. But just like I wouldn't expect a Christian to follow all the parts of the bible no matter how out of date they are and would judge that person based on their character alone, I would do the same for a muslim.

Also from what I've seen of this video so far the thesis that it appears to defend is that gay rights should be restricted. Not a great example to use when saying that the bible is not anti-gay. Though I haven't watched the full thing yet so who knows, that may not be the case by the end.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.