First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Christians most persecuted group in the world
17165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/14/17

karatecowboy wrote:


descloud wrote:

Yeah I just read his response, he will believe what we wants regardless of what I tell him. I would have continued with this had you not reminded me how pointless it is to debate this.

I'll see ya around XD


Completely ignoring your ad hominem attacks: if what you wrote is indicative of your general argument against Christianity then yes, I won't believe much of what you have to say, because it's an extremely inaccurate, distorted view of mainstream Christianity. If you can't grasp our faith accurately then you certainly can't criticize it with any merit. For example: you say Christianity teaches beating your wife is OK. That's demonstrably false in so many ways. It's not just wrong, it's out of touch. As a Catholic I've mingled with a lot of Protestants but I'd be hard pressed to find a denomination that teaches that. You'd really have to go to the extremities to find anything like that. And, in that case, they'd be easily contradicted with scripture.

Then, maybe I'm wasting my time. Maybe discussion and examination is not what you're after. Maybe you just wanted to walk in, take a dump on people, and walk out.



I dropped the subject because I knew it would go nowhere. Yet here you are trying to interject your view is the "correct" way to perceive the bible. You can debate with others, but I have no desire to continue this.

1228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Minnesota
Offline
Posted 4/14/17

octorockandroll wrote:


AllMightt wrote:

If you mean persecution by muslims, I'd say atheists, jews, and gays have it worse. Maybe Hindus too at least in India they are often lynched by muslim mobs.


Thing is that those groups aren't nearly as big as Christians. Though if we're going by amount of people attacked per capita, there's a chance you would be right.


True although atheists in most muslim countries can't even admit to it unless they don't like their heads. I may be wrong but i don't think being a christian makes you a terrorist in most of the middle east. Atheists however aren't so lucky. That being said it's a shitty situation either way.


I'm not talking about all muslims for the easily offended
11307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

octorockandroll wrote:

I'll watch the whole thing later when I have more time but I will say that my whole point is that it's okay to not listen to archaic or outdated parts of whatever your religious text is that may incite you to do bad things, it's good even. But just like I wouldn't expect a Christian to follow all the parts of the bible no matter how out of date they are and would judge that person based on their character alone, I would do the same for a muslim.

Yah, agreed. That's generally a good idea. Though, religion weighs into character.



Also from what I've seen of this video so far the thesis that it appears to defend is that gay rights should be restricted. Not a great example to use when saying that the bible is not anti-gay. Though I haven't watched the full thing yet so who knows, that may not be the case by the end.


Yah, that's what Horus confronts him about, but it's one piece of a bigger pie about the relationship between old and new testaments.

On a side note I think it's quite clear that, overall, the Bible is anti-gay --and that's a good thing. Sexual deviancy is generally a bad thing.
11307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 4/14/17

descloud wrote:


I dropped the subject because I knew it would go nowhere. Yet here you are trying to interject your view is the "correct" way to perceive the bible. You can debate with others, but I have no desire to continue this.



Yah we know you have no desire to continue it. Waltzing in, talking about how horrible Christianity is, and walking out were on your agenda. Having your beliefs challenged and have to withstand scrutiny was not.
465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

octorockandroll wrote:


nerdtox wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:



Best not to bother with this particular bambina. She's the type who actively ignores whatever part of the bible she doesn't like while shitting on people from other religions for having passages she doesn't like while ignoring those that preach about peace and love and stuff. There's a lot you can do to combat ignorance, but not so much when it comes to willfull ignorance.


I believe he is a big man and he can make his own opinion about myself without your help.

You didn't respond in that thread when I asked:


Tell me a christian country where they kill homosexuals and treat women like shit based on the teachings of their holy book?tell me where Jesus married a child or called for wars and the killing of unbelievers/non-christians and people do this because of that?


So tell me what part of the new testament says it is ok to kill gays, marry children and kill non-christians?

I would have liked this to be kept on that thread but since you're talking behind my back like a lowlife, I have to mention it here.




I already called out your bullshit about pretending half the bible "doesn't count" but I guess you need me to go over it with a fine toothed comb

1.) Nowhere in the new testament does it say to stop listening to the old testament
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets" (context: Jesus sayig that he is not here to replace the old teachings of The Lord)

2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," (affirmation in the new testament that all scripture applies)


2.) Every mainstream branch of Christianity considers the two equally cannon

3.) The old testament is routinely cited during mass

As for a christian country that treated gay people and women like shit, you alluded to one in your first post on this thread. If you can't figure it out yourself then you're just proving my point of you being willfully ignorant.


America doesn't treat women like shit and America doesn't kill gay people so I have no idea what you're talking about. Plus, America is a melting pot and everyone is free to follow any religion. The majority is Christian but the state and the church are separated so this is not a Christian country. You still haven't given me the name of a christian country that does kill gay people and treat women like shit based on the teachings of their holy book

Christians follow Jesus' teachings, do christians follow the laws of the Israelites? He is referring to the 10 commandments in Matthew and not the laws of the Israelites (ie.mosaic law and purity codes) and I told you already that by following the 2 commandments Jesus gave us, you are following the whole law. However, Jesus fulfilled it *all* and while christians are not obliged to follow the moral law, true believers will follow it because of their love of God. (Rom 7:1-6; Gal 3:25, Matt 5:17).

Muslims follow Muhammad's teachings and what did he teach and what was the example to follow he gave? I told you to compare both of them. Like I said, the ignorant will quote only the old testament and Leviticus when they want to say that Christianity can be as evil as Islam. I knew you were one of them!!

You accused me of ignoring half the book but aren't you doing the same? and I never said christians ignore the old testament. You lack serious reading comprehension skills or you just want to interpret my words in your own way because you don't care about what I have to say.

If you still don't understand the difference between the old testament laws and the new one, here I go: Leviticus was strictly a set of rules written by men - and was strictly only a set of rules to live by for a people (ie.Israelites)in a time and place where hygiene was frequently poor and certain meats had to be avoided simply because they would be spoiled or tainted. Simply telling people "If you eat seafood you'll get ill!" wasn't enough, but by making it prohibited religiously it had the same effect - people no longer died of food poisoning because they'd eaten tainted seafood.

The prohibitions against masturbation and homosexuality were due to the fact the Hebrews were a nomadic people living in frequently hostile territory and they needed to increase their numbers - so if a man was not having sex with a woman, he wasn't procreating and increasing their numbers. Leviticus was concerned with purity codes to keep the Hebrews separate from the Canaanites, and as Jesus rejected the whole purity code they are no longer relevant except perhaps as a record of how the Hebrews once lived. I hope you understand now why Christians don't follow the mosaic law.

Of course, you will now say that this is all unsupported untrue crap. Well, go study the history of the hebrews and you'll see for yourself.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you stop talking behind my back and any thing you have to say about me, please say it on that thread or send me a PM.

553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

nerdtox wrote:


America doesn't treat women like shit and America doesn't kill gay people so I have no idea what you're talking about. Plus, America is a melting pot and everyone is free to follow any religion. The majority is Christian but the state and the church are separated so this is not a Christian country. You still haven't given me the name of a christian country that does kill gay people and treat women like shit based on the teachings of their holy book




America has a long history of treating women,and gay people like shit. The only reason we're treated better in the present is because we spent years fighting for better rights. It's true that we haven't promoted the killing of gay people,but they have been still mistreated. They can't even get married because some Christians see it as violating the Christian Religion.

Sadly there are people out there that believe that America is a Christian country


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Anti-Homosexuality_Act,_2014

"According to a reporter in Africa, "Africans see homosexuality as being both un-African and un-Christian".[17] Thirty-eight of 53 African nations criminalise homosexuality in some way.[11] A 2013 poll found that the overwhelming majority of Ugandans disapproved of homosexuality.[18] In sub-Saharan Africa, South Africa and Namibia are the only governments to support LGBT rights, but even there, curative rape is used against women, such as in the murder of Eudy Simelane, and violence is sometimes met with police inaction and apathy. Like the conditions in many other African nations, gays in Uganda currently face an atmosphere of physical abuse, vandalism to their property, blackmail, death threats, and "correctional rape""

"On 26 January 2011, Uganda's most prominent gay activist, David Kato, was found bludgeoned to death in what authorities in Uganda characterised as a robbery. His photograph had been published in Rolling Stone.[29] Kato had spoken at a United Nations-sponsored conference on the bill in December 2009, although his words were barely audible because he was nervous. Information in US embassy cables revealed that Ugandan human rights activists and anti-homosexuality bill supporters vocally mocked him during his presentation"

It's pretty ignorant to think that women, gays,or just anyone in general hasn't been mistreated by some followers of the Christian religion.
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17
Resurrection of Christ
> Matthew 28:6 NIV.
6. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay.


7109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/14/17

MysticGon wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

What discomforting news before Easter Sunday.


Considering today is Good Friday it's pretty profound.


Hah! That's what you think! Glory to the original Easter goddess!
Rejoice for Ostara, for all your spring-related needs!

Anyway, have a good weekend everyone. Don't bicker with each other too hard over religion.
465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17

danagram wrote:

It's pretty ignorant to think that women, gays,or just anyone in general hasn't been mistreated by some followers of the Christian religion.


I understand why you may be confused because that guy and I were discussing this topic on another thread.

In that thread I said I'm not against Muslim people but I'm against the Muslim religion. I said that westernized muslims are not the same as Muslims born in Islamic countries because their laws are based on their holy book and Muhammad's teachings while westernized muslims follow the laws of the western country they live in. I even said that gay people have been killed in the west by hateful people but they have not been killed because their country/religion says that all gays should be stoned to death. Islam has laws that support child marriage and the mistreatment of women. Like for example: people tried to abolish child marriage but it was denied because it goes against their holy book. Women need 4 male witnesses to prove rape or they are the ones who go to jail for adultery. The sharia law has a passage that says that gay people should be killed by stoning them to death or burn them while they are alive. This is been taught since they are born.

You don't see none of that in America. Not even before when women were supposedly oppressed. America have rights and laws that protect children and women against rape. If some gay people have been killed by christians and women have been abused, it wasn't because their holy book told them to do it. Christians who do this do it because they want to and not because they are following the Bible or any law that requires it. The bible NEVER says to stone gay people to death or to mistreat the women or to marry children.

And that guy bumped your post as if that answers my questions. Your post is not giving me any answers I'm looking for. I'm NOT ASKING FOR A LIST OF WRONG DOINGS BY CHRISTIANS. I'm asking for a country who do this BASED ON THE TEACHINGS OF THEIR HOLY BOOK.

By the way, Uganda is not a christian country. There are many religions, Christianity and Islam are some of them. I could have mentioned the Boko haram, a Islamic group who is being called "worse than ISIS" but I disregard them because they are not living in an Islamic country but they live in an Islamic state and they kill and oppress a lot of people.
Posted 4/14/17
The world hated the Master and they will hate us.
I pray constantly for the Catholic and Orthodox faithful who are persecuted for their faith.


Holy Mother of God pray for us!
12305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 4/14/17

karatecowboy wrote:

One of the first rules of scripture study, or even any text, is that "A text without a context is a pretext". A bunch of quotes deliberately divorced from their contexts is not a valid criticism; it's a straw man.

Oh, and BTW, hatred of mental illness, which you euphemize as "trans", is just normal and healthy. Anyone should want to get rid of mental illness. If you love health then you hate when people collaborate with illness.


And like that, I now see you as a monster. Congratz! Transgender is not a mental illness... any more than religion at least.

Joke.

Atheism and religion are two sides of the same coin. One uses their heads, the other relies on tales. Guess which is which?
12117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 4/14/17

nerdtox wrote:

And that guy bumped your post as if that answers my questions. Your post is not giving me any answers I'm looking for. It is clear that guy lacks reading comprehension skills. I'm NOT ASKING FOR A LIST OF WRONG DOINGS BY CHRISTIANS. I'm asking for a country who do this BASED ON THE TEACHINGS OF THEIR HOLY BOOK.


He gave you one, but you brushed it off as a "non Christian country" despite it being more than 84% christian, I also never provided a list of wrongdoing by christians as you posit maybe consider that before you put other people's reading skills into question. Anyway, if the country thing is where you've shifted the goalpost to now then you've had your answer. Uganda is more than 4/5 Christian majority and they do what was described by the last poster. Case closed, judge people on their character not their religion, etc. etc. good fucking bye.
336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Brasil
Offline
Posted 4/14/17 , edited 4/14/17
......
12117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 4/14/17


Pretty much.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.