First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Video quality of older DBS episodes
95 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/16/17 , edited 5/11/17
For some reason,older DBS episode are in Super Bad quality? Video AND audio.Feels like i'm watching a 360p video.Same thing is happening with other anime
It's not my DNS or my connection and I dont think it's my device since newer episodes and other apps are playing in HD just fine
The isssue is only happening with my Roku,everything is working correclt ony my other devices(Ipad and desktop)

For me it's kind of a big issue,Roku is my main method of watching, it makes older DBS and Yu Gi Oh episodes unwatchable,and I dont even know it's they're the only show affected like that.Still waiting for a reply from the support about it.

My Roku is a
Roku Stick 2016 3600X
7.5.0-build 4099-24


95 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/18/17
Been 3 days,still cant watch older episodes because of the quality issue.
95 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/22/17
Been more than a week and the issue is still there.
30000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
84 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17

Shoryuguitard wrote:

For some reason,older DBS episode are in Super Bad quality? Feels like i'm watching a 360p video.Same thing is happening with the orignal Yu Gi Oh and Bleach.

It's not my DNS or my connection and I dont think it's my device since newer episodes and other apps are playing in HD just fine
The isssue is only happening with my Roku,everything is working correclt ony my other devices(Ipad and desktop)

For me it's kind of a big issue,Roku is my main method of watching, it makes older DBS and Yu Gi Oh episodes unwatchable,and I dont even know it's they're the only show affected like that.Still waiting for a reply from the support about it.

My Roku is a
Roku Stick 2016 3600X
7.5.0-build 4099-24
I'm not sure what you mean by "DBS" (Dragon Ball Super?), but is it possible that on Bleach and Yu-Gi-Oh! your Roku Stick is trying to re-scale them because they are in the 4:3 aspect ratio?



Both of those show's early episodes are maxed at 480P, which I'm sure you know. However, they look pretty terrible even at 480P and the SD stuff looks worse. The only other thing I can think of is your Roku Stick is only grabbing the SD quality and not the 480P. I believe CR's SD quality is 360P so that might be the only level you're getting.

Maybe the 4:3 aspect ratio is tripping up your Roku? Have you tried other old 4:3 shows through your Roku? Any problems with those?

Is there an episode in Bleach where the "Super Bad" quality stops and it changes to something watchable? I noticed for Bleach, HD streams don't begin until Season 14. Are the first 13 seasons of Bleach in bad quality for you?

I have a Roku 3 that I'll try streaming Bleach to my 55" TV and see how it looks.

95 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17

Hairbelly wrote:


Shoryuguitard wrote:

For some reason,older DBS episode are in Super Bad quality? Feels like i'm watching a 360p video.Same thing is happening with the orignal Yu Gi Oh and Bleach.

It's not my DNS or my connection and I dont think it's my device since newer episodes and other apps are playing in HD just fine
The isssue is only happening with my Roku,everything is working correclt ony my other devices(Ipad and desktop)

For me it's kind of a big issue,Roku is my main method of watching, it makes older DBS and Yu Gi Oh episodes unwatchable,and I dont even know it's they're the only show affected like that.Still waiting for a reply from the support about it.

My Roku is a
Roku Stick 2016 3600X
7.5.0-build 4099-24
I'm not sure what you mean by "DBS" (Dragon Ball Super?), but is it possible that on Bleach and Yu-Gi-Oh! your Roku Stick is trying to re-scale them because they are in the 4:3 aspect ratio?



Both of those show's early episodes are maxed at 480P, which I'm sure you know. However, they look pretty terrible even at 480P and the SD stuff looks worse. The only other thing I can think of is your Roku Stick is only grabbing the SD quality and not the 480P. I believe CR's SD quality is 360P so that might be the only level you're getting.

Maybe the 4:3 aspect ratio is tripping up your Roku? Have you tried other old 4:3 shows through your Roku? Any problems with those?

Is there an episode in Bleach where the "Super Bad" quality stops and it changes to something watchable? I noticed for Bleach, HD streams don't begin until Season 14. Are the first 13 seasons of Bleach in bad quality for you?

I have a Roku 3 that I'll try streaming Bleach to my 55" TV and see how it looks.

I know older show are in 480p(I watch an awful lot of older shows), that's not the issue.For exemple,Dragon Ball Super episode 24 on my Roku stick is at an unwatchable level of quality while newer episode plays in HD just fine.

30000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
84 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/22/17

Shoryuguitard wrote:

I know older show are in 480p(I watch an awful lot of older shows), that's not the issue.For exemple,Dragon Ball Super episode 24 on my Roku stick is at an unwatchable level of quality,and the newer episode plays in HD just fine.
All right... I ran early Bleach through my Roku 3 and it was indeed 480P and not SD (360P). A terrible looking 480P with interlacing problems, but 480P none-the-less.

If you could find someone else who has the same Roku as you, you could compare notes to see if it's a bug with that particular Roku, or maybe other Roku owners could chime in here with their test findings.

I run episode 24 of DBS through my Roku 3 and see how it looks.
95 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/22/17

Hairbelly wrote:


Shoryuguitard wrote:

I know older show are in 480p(I watch an awful lot of older shows), that's not the issue.For exemple,Dragon Ball Super episode 24 on my Roku stick is at an unwatchable level of quality,and the newer episode plays in HD just fine.
All right... I ran early Bleach through my Roku 3 and it was indeed 480P and not SD (360P). A terrible looking 480P with interlacing problems, but 480P none-the-less.

If you could find someone else who has the same Roku as you, you could compare notes to see if it's a bug with that particular Roku, or maybe other Roku owners could chime in here with their test findings.

I run episode 24 of DBS through my Roku 3 and see how it looks.


It plays fine on every device I have,only my stick has issue with these.
30000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
84 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/22/17

Shoryuguitard wrote:

For exemple,Dragon Ball Super episode 24 on my Roku stick is at an unwatchable level of quality while newer episode plays in HD just fine.
Well, Dragon Ball Super Episode 24 streams 480P (non-paying member) and looks great:



That's through my Roku 3 onto a 50" (not 55") flat screen. I hate to say it, but it looks great. If we could get more Roku owners to test out DBS Episode 24, we might be able to narrow it down to either a bug in the Roku Stick or a tweak that CR needs make to the uploaded encodes.
95 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17

Hairbelly wrote:


Shoryuguitard wrote:

For exemple,Dragon Ball Super episode 24 on my Roku stick is at an unwatchable level of quality while newer episode plays in HD just fine.
Well, Dragon Ball Super Episode 24 streams 480P (non-paying member) and looks great:



That's through my Roku 3 onto a 50" (not 55") flat screen. I hate to say it, but it looks great. If we could get more Roku owners to test out DBS Episode 24, we might be able to narrow it down to either a bug in the Roku Stick or a tweak that CR needs make to the uploaded encodes.


I asked the support if I was the only one,apparently i'm not,but it's a frustrating issue.Maybe a specific set of Roku is affected like you said.
30000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
84 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17

Shoryuguitard wrote:

I asked the support if I was the only one,apparently i'm not,but it's a frustrating issue.Maybe a specific set of Roku is affected like you said.
Say, I have an idea if you're up for it:



Oops... never mind... I just noticed you're in Canada. Forget that idea.
95 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/22/17

Hairbelly wrote:


Shoryuguitard wrote:

I asked the support if I was the only one,apparently i'm not,but it's a frustrating issue.Maybe a specific set of Roku is affected like you said.
Say, I have an idea if you're up for it:

Are you located in the U.S.? If so, VRV (https://vrv.co) is the new site that Crunchyroll put together with Funimation and a bunch of other people. The three shows that you would like to watch are available through VRV:

DBS: https://vrv.co/series/GR19V7816/Dragon-Ball-Super
Bleach: https://vrv.co/series/G63VGG2NY/Bleach
YU-GI-OH!: https://vrv.co/series/G6P8DV7V6/Yu-Gi-Oh

VRV now has a Roku app: https://channelstore.roku.com/details/143105/vrv

Maybe what you could do is check out the VRV site, learn how to link your CR account with a VRV account, load up the VRV Roku app, and try streaming the show you want to see from there. Might be worth looking into if it will improve the quality of the videos.

Here's the VRV FAQ if you want to research it: https://help.vrv.co/hc/en-us

I don't know if that will fix your issue, but it might be worth a shot.

Canadian,so no VRV for me.

30000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
84 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/22/17

Shoryuguitard wrote:

Canadian,so no VRV for me.

Sorry about that.... I just noticed. Hmm...
50433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 4/22/17
Episode 24 plays crystal clear on my Insignia 55" Roku TV...
One Punch Mod
99323 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 4/22/17

Shoryuguitard wrote:
My Roku is a
Roku Stick 2016 3600X
7.5.0-build 4099-24


I'm not as sensitive as many about video quality, and I'm using an older model Roku stick (Model 3500R) but for what it's worth, Episode 24 looks fine to me and not at all close to "unwatchable."

95 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17

lorreen wrote:


Shoryuguitard wrote:
My Roku is a
Roku Stick 2016 3600X
7.5.0-build 4099-24


I'm not as sensitive as many about video quality, and I'm using an older model Roku stick (Model 3500R) but for what it's worth, Episode 24 looks fine to me and not at all close to "unwatchable."



Might be some 3600CA? New episodes in Crunchy plays in HD just fine and every other app works correctly,so I dont think it's my device(well,let'shope it's not my device? Ahah)
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.