First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply British PM Theresa May to seek snap election for 8th June
255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / England
Offline
Posted 4/18/17
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39629603

UK Prime Minister Theresa May has announced plans to call a snap general election on 8 June. She said Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership following the EU referendum. Explaining the decision, Mrs May said:


"The country is coming together but Westminster is not."


Opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn said his Labour Party wanted the election, calling it a chance to get a government that puts "the majority first". There will be a vote in the House of Commons on Wednesday to approve the election plan - the prime minister needs two thirds of MPs to vote in favour to hold a vote before the next scheduled election date of 2020.

Explaining her change of heart on an early election, Mrs May said: "I have concluded the only way to guarantee certainty and security for years ahead is to hold this election."

- - - - - -

Anyone's thoughts on this? I'm not really bothered by it as I genuinely believe no matter who gets put in charge, Brexit will not be easy for either side because they'll make sure it's painful for us.
5513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/18/17
She knows that every other party is worthless and if anything tory will get more seats etc. meaning more control over brexit stuff as well as other power things.

Or something like that.
11906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Birmingham, UK
Offline
Posted 4/18/17
Too many people divided, it's basically the trump card, whoever wins you gotta follow
21793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 4/18/17

jaragnaros wrote:

Too many people divided, it's basically the trump card, whoever wins you gotta follow

ahueahue

1239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/18/17
I suspect the strategy is something like this. Article 50 will be done in 2019. Prior to this election being called that would have given them only 12 months to try and fix any fallout caused by Brexit before the 2020 election came round.

With Labour currently looking like a disorganised shower of shite they're pretty much guaranteed to get in right now. By 2022 they'll be hoping either they've managed to use the extra time to either convince people that they're potatoes are just as valuable a currency as the pound used to be or that Brexit was a roaring success and we're all living in mansions brushing our teeth with the shorn pubes of Brazilian swimsuit models.

Basically they're hedging their bets to try and ensure they get another term after the Brexit dust has settled.
mo-gan 
8165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/18/17
No chance I'll be voting Labour, but right now, I don't know what I think of Theresa May. Will be between the Lib Dems and Conversates for my vote.
255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / England
Offline
Posted 4/18/17

mo-gan wrote:

No chance I'll be voting Labour, but right now, I don't know what I think of Theresa May. Will be between the Lib Dems and Conversates for my vote.


I honestly can't think of anyone I wish to vote for. Even my mate who's a UKIP supporter is totally lost, the people (regardless of what they voted for) really need to come together and sort this mess out.
255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / England
Offline
Posted 4/18/17
I voted to Stay and tbh my only political standing is "if you don't bother me, I don't bother you". While I'm upset about the outcome of Brexit, as long as decisions are made with both sides in mind - then I don't really mind. I just want people to be happy and have a fair chance at things (and my lgbt rights left alone), which I personally feel is something the Tories really don't get.

But then again, I have no clue what other party really cares.

There's just too much politics going on at the moment: we've got Brexit, Scotland wanting a referendum, we've got the middle east going absolutely ballistic, a complete and total division and now a General Election in June. That's not even that far away, and hardly ENOUGH TIME to come to a conclusion/decision.
6414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Uk
Offline
Posted 4/18/17

altaidox wrote:

I voted to Stay and tbh my only political standing is "if you don't bother me, I don't bother you". While I'm upset about the outcome of Brexit, as long as decisions are made with both sides in mind - then I don't really mind. I just want people to be happy and have a fair chance at things (and my lgbt rights left alone), which I personally feel is something the Tories really don't get.

But then again, I have no clue what other party really cares.

There's just too much politics going on at the moment: we've got Brexit, Scotland wanting a referendum, we've got the middle east going absolutely ballistic, a complete and total division and now a General Election in June. That's not even that far away, and hardly ENOUGH TIME to come to a conclusion/decision.


Eugh I was livid at the outcome when brexit happened, even though it was only a little while since that happened I think I've evolved from being an absolute lefty nutter to just accepting any outcome.

On the other hand, I've been reading a little bit more about the general election but still can't think of who to vote for - I don't wanna waste my vote but at the same time, I do so idk I might vote for labour or lib dems.
255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / England
Offline
Posted 4/18/17 , edited 4/18/17

Fozzles wrote:


altaidox wrote:

I voted to Stay and tbh my only political standing is "if you don't bother me, I don't bother you". While I'm upset about the outcome of Brexit, as long as decisions are made with both sides in mind - then I don't really mind. I just want people to be happy and have a fair chance at things (and my lgbt rights left alone), which I personally feel is something the Tories really don't get.

But then again, I have no clue what other party really cares.

There's just too much politics going on at the moment: we've got Brexit, Scotland wanting a referendum, we've got the middle east going absolutely ballistic, a complete and total division and now a General Election in June. That's not even that far away, and hardly ENOUGH TIME to come to a conclusion/decision.


Eugh I was livid at the outcome when brexit happened, even though it was only a little while since that happened I think I've evolved from being an absolute lefty nutter to just accepting any outcome.

On the other hand, I've been reading a little bit more about the general election but still can't think of who to vote for - I don't wanna waste my vote but at the same time, I do so idk I might vote for labour or lib dems.


Tbh I've progressed from being a lefty nutter to just more accepting. I think I can send thanks to my mate for that who has dealt with my angry ass for years regardless of him being a UKIP supporting Libertarian. He's a pretty chill dude who's not racist, homophobic, xenophobic or anything like that. I've voted for local MP's and stuff, but a general Election? I really don't think the UK needs this kind of stress.

I've never really thought about voting for LibDem, as I only ever hear really bad stuff about them.
Kinda' wish all parties were taught in school or something.
6414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Uk
Offline
Posted 4/18/17

altaidox wrote:


Fozzles wrote:


altaidox wrote:

I voted to Stay and tbh my only political standing is "if you don't bother me, I don't bother you". While I'm upset about the outcome of Brexit, as long as decisions are made with both sides in mind - then I don't really mind. I just want people to be happy and have a fair chance at things (and my lgbt rights left alone), which I personally feel is something the Tories really don't get.

But then again, I have no clue what other party really cares.

There's just too much politics going on at the moment: we've got Brexit, Scotland wanting a referendum, we've got the middle east going absolutely ballistic, a complete and total division and now a General Election in June. That's not even that far away, and hardly ENOUGH TIME to come to a conclusion/decision.


Eugh I was livid at the outcome when brexit happened, even though it was only a little while since that happened I think I've evolved from being an absolute lefty nutter to just accepting any outcome.

On the other hand, I've been reading a little bit more about the general election but still can't think of who to vote for - I don't wanna waste my vote but at the same time, I do so idk I might vote for labour or lib dems.


Tbh I've progressed from being a lefty nutter to just more accepting. I think I can send thanks to my mate for that who has dealt with my angry ass for years regardless of him being a UKIP supporting Libertarian. He's a pretty chill dude who's not racist, homophobic, xenophobic or anything like that. I've voted for local MP's and stuff, but a general Election? I really don't think the UK needs this kind of stress.

I've never really thought about voting for LibDem, as I only ever hear really bad stuff about them.
Kinda' wish all parties were taught in school or something.


Yeah I don't see why sociology and politics is missing from school systems, if they can go through the effort of doing sex ed and citizenship in some schools why not make them all one big subject instead. Kids are forced to learn about this stuff alone and that leads to bias opinion being engraved in them - basically me in high school and college
I know a few of local MP's and even so, they all sound like they're reading a script, they don't make it sound like they want to put in the effort so yeh idk and same about the lib dems, they're not THAT bad but it somehow took me 20 years of life to realise this xD
255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / England
Offline
Posted 4/18/17

HateKillingCamels wrote:

She knows that every other party is worthless and if anything tory will get more seats etc. meaning more control over brexit stuff as well as other power things.

Or something like that.


Tbh, I really don't know. I can't seem to read T.M. at all, she seems far less scummy than Cameron but because of her party I'm severely hesitant to really trust anything she's doing.
28146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/17
If they vote for someone that will undo Brexit there will be riots.
255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / England
Offline
Posted 4/18/17

MysticGon wrote:

If they vote for someone that will undo Brexit there will be riots.


Most likely. While I believe the people who march to have it turned around are well within their rights to protest, the actual outcome of Brexit/Article 50 being cancelled would be damaging. It would breach democracy, as well as betray a lot of voices.
Kadngi 
14040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Cardiff, Wales.
Offline
Posted 4/18/17
I suspect the Prime Minister looked at the polls which apparently show her party leading by a huge margin hence why she made this decision to announce a snap general election to just to capitalize her party's popularity while it's in her favor. But here's the thing to bear in mind, Theresa May doesn't want to participate in a live TV debate in the run-up to the election which to me shows she's not all that confident about her plans and wants to avoid debate and scrutiny at all costs. This isn't particularly surprising to me since she's been trying to avoid scrutiny whenever she can ever since she became Prime Minister.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.