First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
ACLU -do you support them
Posted 4/21/17
Do you support the ACLU?
if so why?
958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 4/21/17
Who?
jl6
467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Florida
Offline
Posted 4/21/17
hell no
24769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Online
Posted 4/21/17
I admire their defense of several controversial groups from Westboro Baptist Church to Neo Nazi groups. I am not sure of their other issues, but I suppose on those civil liberties, I do support them, if only our interests align.
37723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/21/17 , edited 4/21/17
Uh, there's no poll. Was this moved?

I don't particularly see why I shouldn't support them, and the work they do providing legal advice and representation in civil rights cases is very important, so yes.
5326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / The Cat Empire
Offline
Posted 4/21/17 , edited 4/21/17
well yeah, like BlueOni says
One Punch Mod
117915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 4/21/17 , edited 4/21/17


American Civil Liberties Union - https://www.aclu.org/



MysteryMiss wrote:

Do you support the ACLU?
if so why?



BlueOni wrote:

Uh, there's no poll. Was this moved?

I don't particularly see why I shouldn't support them, and the work they do providing legal advice and representation in civil rights cases is very important, so yes.


Yeah, not sure why this was originally in Polls. I've moved it into General Discussion now.

Do I support them as in do I donate money to them? No. (I contribute embarrassingly little to anyone, actually. I think at the moment the only support I routinely provide via monetary donations is to my local public radio station.)

Do I support them as in do I think they do valuable work? Yes.

I'm too lazy and lack the time to answer Why.
qwueri 
22868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 4/21/17
Yes, I think making sure minority voices are hears is important.
28496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/21/17
Nah...
Ejanss 
16967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/21/17 , edited 4/21/17

MysteryMiss wrote:

Do you support the ACLU?
if so why?


Like PETA, they're an attention-struck public nuisance, but I don't make them the new symbolic Juden-Suess "villain" just because they oppose all of Trump's accidental stumbles over the Constitution, if that's what you're asking.
Posted 4/21/17

MysteryMiss wrote:

Do you support the ACLU?
if so why?


ACLU is one of my rotating donations (every three to six months for the past 12 years). I think that people look at them too politically at times (on both sides). The interesting thing is that the ACLU will support even things that most people don't necessarily agree with, just because it's constitutional and/or part of a citizen's right. I don't always agree with some of the cases they take on or the statements they make but that's actually one of the reasons why I donate some money to them. They've supported cases that defended the second amendment (which I disagreed with) to defending the death penalty (which I also disagree with). Despite my disagreement with some of their stances, I'm just thankful that they do try to defend civil liberties and constitutional law as often as they can.
24769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Online
Posted 4/21/17 , edited 4/21/17

ninjitsuko wrote:


MysteryMiss wrote:

Do you support the ACLU?
if so why?


ACLU is one of my rotating donations (every three to six months for the past 12 years). I think that people look at them too politically at times (on both sides). The interesting thing is that the ACLU will support even things that most people don't necessarily agree with, just because it's constitutional and/or part of a citizen's right. I don't always agree with some of the cases they take on or the statements they make but that's actually one of the reasons why I donate some money to them. They've supported cases that defended the second amendment (which I disagreed with) to defending the death penalty (which I also disagree with). Despite my disagreement with some of their stances, I'm just thankful that they do try to defend civil liberties and constitutional law as often as they can.


I am really, really sure they do not support the death penalty. At all.

https://www.aclu.org/issues/capital-punishment

https://www.aclu.org/other/case-against-death-penalty
Posted 4/21/17


My bad, I won't edit the post but..

The case I was referring to was "Kennedy v. Louisiana" where they defended the child rapists against the death penalty. I'm against the death penalty but was against the fact that rape against an adult was punishable by death, but the rape of a minor was not. I'm against the death penalty but felt the juxtaposition of these two crimes didn't quite add up. If you're going to kill someone, the charge shouldn't differ depending on the age of the victim.
923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 4/21/17 , edited 4/21/17
Yes, because even though the ACLU is seen as left-wing, civil libertarians span the left-right divide, and the causes the ACLU supports in defense of individual rights do too. As such, it should have bipartisan support.
24769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Online
Posted 4/21/17

ninjitsuko wrote:



My bad, I won't edit the post but..

The case I was referring to was "Kennedy v. Louisiana" where they defended the child rapists against the death penalty. I'm against the death penalty but was against the fact that rape against an adult was punishable by death, but the rape of a minor was not. I'm against the death penalty but felt the juxtaposition of these two crimes didn't quite add up. If you're going to kill someone, the charge shouldn't differ depending on the age of the victim.


Not sure I understand you. Kennedy was nearly sent to the electric chair because he raped his eight year old niece, but I have not heard of any place in the US where adult on adult rape was punishable by death. If we are talking about capital cases concerning murder of police officers and minors, I could see your point.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.