Post Reply Japan's great potato shortage
22635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Online
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 6/28/17
Japan is facing a severe potato shortage to the point that a lot of Japanese stop producing a lot of their different flavored chips (or crisps if your British) some bags are selling online for up to $12

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/the-great-japan-potatochip-crisis-panic-buying-us12-bags-20170414-gvl8dw.html

I was going to call this the Japanese potato famine but thought that might have been a bit much
12115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 4/22/17
Well to be fair if the worst effect a typhoon bringing large damages to one of your biggest agricultural areas has is a shortage of snacks that don't contain any nutritional value anyway, I'd say you were relatively lucky.
22635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Online
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17

octorockandroll wrote:

Well to be fair if the worst effect a typhoon bringing large damages to one of your biggest agricultural areas has is a shortage of snacks that don't contain any nutritional value anyway, I'd say you were relatively lucky.


But...but potato chips man!!!!!!
One Punch Mod
116890 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 4/22/17

uncletim wrote:

Japan is facing a severe potato shortage to the point that a lot of Japanese stop producing a lot of their different flavored chips (or crisps if your British) some bags are selling online for up to $12

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/the-great-japan-potatochip-crisis-panic-buying-us12-bags-20170414-gvl8dw.html

I was going to call this the Japanese potato famine but thought that might have been a bit much


I was just trying to decide if I wanted potato chips enough to move my butt from the couch and walk to the convenience store to get some.

Then I read this thread.

And the answer is, YES. (Though if they were $12 a bag I'd probably just grab instant ramen from my cupboard and eat it dry as a poor substitute.)
22635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Online
Posted 4/22/17
Might be time for Japan to loosen some of it's trade restrictions
10725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
69 / M
Offline
Posted 4/22/17
They should just grow moar potatoes
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / America
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17
Japan will survive, they don't use potatoes nearly as much as europeans and americans do. So outside of a shortage of chips or certain curry sauces (which is easily remedied by imports) nothing will happen.
qwueri 
21959 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 4/22/17
Meh, corn chips are where it's at
22635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Online
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17
has anyone ever had shrimp chip? I use to love those
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / America
Offline
Posted 4/22/17

uncletim wrote:

has anyone ever had shrimp chip? I use to love those

When i moved into my current city back in 2007, one of the very first brands of chips i had were these fry shaped shrimp chips from korea.
They still sell them, though i've neglected to purchase any in recent years
1164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/22/17
Ireland: You think your potato shortages are bad?
19842 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17
Meh potatoes in Japan are either made in chips which no sane person should eat anyway since there are toxic health hazards. Or into a curry ingredient which I don't dig since curry does not agree with my super taster nature.
60971 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / Buried under a pi...
Online
Posted 4/22/17
Is it sad that my first thought when I saw this thread was, "Oh NOEZ! What will Potato Girl [from "Attack on Titan"] do NOW?!"
22635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Online
Posted 4/22/17

walker1455 wrote:

Ireland: You think your potato shortages are bad?


That was do more to British mishandling then anything else (no offence briton but you dropped the ball there)
You must be logged in to post.