Post Reply censorship and silencing from small scale to large
21873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17
idk if the title is good it was all I could think of
oh well lol
anyways
I just had an argument with my mother about me having to "monitor" what I post on FB because im about to add my great aunt on FB, I only post video game stuff, occasional news related things -gasp- ikr unlike here lol
and the even more occasional perverted video or some shit, example like the one with the rubber balloon animals humpin lol
in response I told her I could be doing much worst shit -in her eyes - like " 420 SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY" I said with my best smoker impersonation lol - for the record idc about weed , but to her its bad-
or I could be postin about the latest guy I screwed -which I haven't had sex since I was 17 -
but I don't, but it irritated me because its like, facebook is a diary, MY diary, about me, only thing is other people can CHOOSE to look at it I can say what ever I want, -unless I have a boss added-
I told her if you or someone else doesn't like something, just ignore it, don't get so offended and tell me what im allowed to post
or say
and with that^ it made me think about larger scale silencing
like we have all talked about speakers coming to talk and they are shut down with screaming people in the room, no im not talkin bout milo, but like ben Shapiro, people try and shut him down, as an example
people, instead of ignoring views or opinions or literally whatever they don't like, try to instead silence them, or control what is allowed to be said - like me with my fb lol reason why I put in from small scale to large-


it seems no one these days just goes on their way if they hear or see something they don't like
trump supporter? nope ya just GOTTA be alt right and a neo Nazi, cant have that now
democrat? ALL of yall are snowflakes
like SAO? you have shit taste in anime -jk lol-


either dem or rep say anything on FB , a forum or rl, its tried to be silenced
post ONE thing pervy on facebook and your prude mother says no one is gonna talk to you and be friends
lol xD but

why cant we all just try and get along , try and tolerate other views, opinions, and general comments ?
imo this is why we aren't accomplishing anything in our government
22866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17
Sadly there are many "tolerant" people completely incapable of tolerating opinions that differ from their own. They therefore try to silence it by giving it evil labels. Just keep posting it and if they get pissy then fuck off or click the unfriend button.

I've heard one of my friends trying to convert me to feel the burn for a year but I didn't act like a child and throw a tantrum that his beliefs differ from my own.
qwueri 
22900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17
I don't quite get the point of this thread. If you don't want to embarrass your great aunt, either don't post things that would embarrass her or don't friend her. Free speech isn't a freedom from the social consequences of that speech, be it embarrassing your aunt or upsetting your mother. I thought keeping your social media appropriate for your intended audience was common knowledge

*Hell, it's probably the #1 way an employer can legally discriminate against you.
21873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17

qwueri wrote:

I don't quite get the point of this thread. If you don't want to embarrass your great aunt, either don't post things that would embarrass her or don't friend her. Free speech isn't a freedom from the social consequences of that speech, be it embarrassing your aunt or upsetting your mother. I thought keeping your social media appropriate for your intended audience was common knowledge

well I should have added, im adding her because she lives in California, and because my grandpa never le tme see his side of the family I don't have a relationship wit any of em, so now that im an adult I want to


but I shouldn't have to censor myself so I don't "offend" her
or anyone for that matter
I hardl ypost anything anyways


and why should discrimination be LEGAL to a employer ? that's stupid and kinda part of what im trying to point out as well
its not like I post racist shit , or even intolerant shit on my FB
qwueri 
22900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17

redokami wrote:

well I should have added, im adding her because she lives in California, and because my grandpa never le tme see his side of the family I don't have a relationship wit any of em, so now that im an adult I want to


but I shouldn't have to censor myself so I don't "offend" her
or anyone for that matter
I hardl ypost anything anyways


and why should discrimination be LEGAL to a employer ? that's stupid and kinda part of what im trying to point out as well
its not like I post racist shit , or even intolerant shit on my FB


I have friends from church as well as family friended on facebook to (in some semblance) keep touch with them. I don't post anything I wouldn't mind talking face-to-face with any of them because I care about what they think. If you're insistent on posting whatever on facebook and you know it could damage any relationship with another person, you're better off either connecting with them another way or breaking off the connection altogether.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from judgement or opinions people form from what you say. Some will support you, some won't. That's the nature of putting your ideas and thoughts out onto a public space. If you don't want to be bothered showing respect enough to your great aunt to avoid embarrassing her on a whim, I do question what you hoped to gain from the connection in the first place.

As for employers, they're allowed to discriminate on what is and is not appropriate for their representatives (employees) to say. Depending on the employer, that's not purely an on-the-clock deal, especially if some opinion is made public and damages their image. In the legal sense "freedom of speech" exists only on the level of the government curtailing speech (and even that has it's limits).
21873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17

qwueri wrote:


redokami wrote:

well I should have added, im adding her because she lives in California, and because my grandpa never le tme see his side of the family I don't have a relationship wit any of em, so now that im an adult I want to


but I shouldn't have to censor myself so I don't "offend" her
or anyone for that matter
I hardl ypost anything anyways


and why should discrimination be LEGAL to a employer ? that's stupid and kinda part of what im trying to point out as well
its not like I post racist shit , or even intolerant shit on my FB


I have friends from church as well as family friended on facebook to (in some semblance) keep touch with them. I don't post anything I wouldn't mind talking face-to-face with any of them because I care about what they think. If you're insistent on posting whatever on facebook and you know it could damage any relationship with another person, you're better off either connecting with them another way or breaking off the connection altogether.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from judgement or opinions people form from what you say. Some will support you, some won't. That's the nature of putting your ideas and thoughts out onto a public space. If you don't want to be bothered showing respect enough to your great aunt to avoid embarrassing her on a whim, I do question what you hoped to gain from the connection in the first place.

As for employers, they're allowed to discriminate on what is and is not appropriate for their representatives (employees) to say. Depending on the employer, that's not purely an on-the-clock deal, especially if some opinion is made public and damages their image. In the legal sense "freedom of speech" exists only on the level of the government curtailing speech (and even that has it's limits).


I mean like, is a video about balloons squeaking humping really that bad, or a few curse words here and there
yea im open to judgement, but im NOT open to being told what I can and can not say/post -btw I don't have a employer so that's out of the scenario-
im an adult
what I was wanting was to message/talk to know eachother, and if a few curse words here and there, like legit mybe twice in 3 weeks? is enough to make someone stop contact with me then I don't need that person, people need to learn to ignore some shit
qwueri 
22900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 4/22/17 , edited 4/22/17

redokami wrote:

I mean like, is a video about balloons squeaking humping really that bad, or a few curse words here and there
yea im open to judgement, but im NOT open to being told what I can and can not say/post -btw I don't have a employer so that's out of the scenario-
im an adult


Presumably you are, and you get to choose how much you value the opinions and feelings of those around you, including your mother and great aunt. They're just as free to the same values and expressions.
Posted 4/22/17
I have 2 facebook accounts one just for family another for gaming solved my problem
22866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 4/22/17
I post nothing about myself on facebook so if anyone gets pissed off I tell them to unfriend me. Solves most problems.
You must be logged in to post.