First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply Social Justice Warriors
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/29/17
I'm looking for your opinions of social justice warriors. Why do they push their views on others so hard, why do they get so mad all the time, why do they judge an entire group of people on one act by a few people and why do they act like complete mongs in public. If you identify as a social justice warrior please explain to me why you do what you do. tyty
22955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 5/16/17
They are stupid. That being said, the term is used to denote an enemy, or what I call an "enemy term", I am not fond of using terms to describe people, especially one like "social justice warrior" that is wholly derived from the internet. I think it brings to a mind a sort of herd or mob instinct, to rally against someone, but I feel it is no different than the people you oppose. Might, or numbers, does not make right.

It is thrown around too often to label anyone who views on solutions and perceived societal inadequacies differ from ones own, usually from a conservative perspective.

Not to knock on you, but I will, but I dislike when people our age use the term. It feels like its fighting liberal indoctrination with conservative indoctrination, both of which I find dangerous to thought and discussion.



I would like to think I have gotten better at this sort of thing, but Iunno.
3134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/29/17
The wasted potential of not rallying against racism/sexism/injustice/etc. in less developed/war torn countries is astounding.

That's my main issue. Priority, initiative, these things too often get flushed down the drain.
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/24/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

They are stupid. That being said, the term is used to denote an enemy, or what I call an "enemy term", I am not fond of using terms to describe people, especially one like "social justice warrior" that is wholly derived from the internet. I think it brings to a mind a sort of herd or mob instinct, to rally against someone, but I feel it is no different than the people you oppose. Might, or numbers, does not make right.

It is thrown around too often to label anyone who views on solutions and perceived societal inadequacies differ from ones own, usually from a conservative perspective.

Not to knock on you, but I will, but I dislike when people our age use the term. It feels like its fighting liberal indoctrination with conservative indoctrination, both of which I find dangerous to thought and discussion.



I would like to think I have gotten better at this sort of thing, but Iunno.


I can see what you are saying. But dont they call themselves social justice warriors?
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/24/17
I don't care
Posted 4/24/17

MysteryMiss wrote:

I don't care


For once, I think we agree.

"Social Justice Warriors" are actually on both sides of the political spectrum. They're extreme "freedom fighters" who have differing views as to what "freedom" should mean (based on their views). I'm pretty much over it.
5322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/24/17
I wish people would call me a justice warrior of some sort, it sounds awesome.
22955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 4/24/17

Hobomilk wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

They are stupid. That being said, the term is used to denote an enemy, or what I call an "enemy term", I am not fond of using terms to describe people, especially one like "social justice warrior" that is wholly derived from the internet. I think it brings to a mind a sort of herd or mob instinct, to rally against someone, but I feel it is no different than the people you oppose. Might, or numbers, does not make right.

It is thrown around too often to label anyone who views on solutions and perceived societal inadequacies differ from ones own, usually from a conservative perspective.

Not to knock on you, but I will, but I dislike when people our age use the term. It feels like its fighting liberal indoctrination with conservative indoctrination, both of which I find dangerous to thought and discussion.



I would like to think I have gotten better at this sort of thing, but Iunno.


I can see what you are saying. But dont they call themselves social justice warriors?


Most usage of the term arisen out of a need to determine the enemy. Like these movements, the definitions are amorphous in a way, bought by their ill defined traits. In a sense, because these movements lack cohesiveness and even limits to what constitutes a member, or social justice warrior, so do the terms that describes them.

That being said, it is broadly defined word, to paint people in broadly defined strokes.

The application of enemy terms is sinister, and makes it easier to shut down discussion. That being said, while words like"racist" does have a storied history to derive meaning, people for themselves have not defined what they constitute racism, and they are the ones who usually use it.
Posted 4/24/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Hobomilk wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

They are stupid. That being said, the term is used to denote an enemy, or what I call an "enemy term", I am not fond of using terms to describe people, especially one like "social justice warrior" that is wholly derived from the internet. I think it brings to a mind a sort of herd or mob instinct, to rally against someone, but I feel it is no different than the people you oppose. Might, or numbers, does not make right.

It is thrown around too often to label anyone who views on solutions and perceived societal inadequacies differ from ones own, usually from a conservative perspective.

Not to knock on you, but I will, but I dislike when people our age use the term. It feels like its fighting liberal indoctrination with conservative indoctrination, both of which I find dangerous to thought and discussion.



I would like to think I have gotten better at this sort of thing, but Iunno.


I can see what you are saying. But dont they call themselves social justice warriors?


Most usage of the term arisen out of a need to determine the enemy. Like these movements, the definitions are amorphous in a way, bought by their ill defined traits. In a sense, because these movements lack cohesiveness and even limits to what constitutes a member, or social justice warrior, so do the terms that describes them.

That being said, it is broadly defined word, to paint people in broadly defined strokes.

The application of enemy terms is sinister, and makes it easier to shut down discussion. That being said, while words like"racist" does have a storied history to derive meaning, people for themselves have not defined what they constitute racism, and they are the ones who usually use it.


Well what do you think about Feminists
qwueri 
20394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Online
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/24/17

Hobomilk wrote:

I can see what you are saying. But dont they call themselves social justice warriors?


Not typically. The SJW label gets thrown at feminists, lgbt activists, and racial equality activists among others. They're a monolithic group, and rarely use the label to describe themselves.
Posted 4/24/17

qwueri wrote:


Hobomilk wrote:

I can see what you are saying. But dont they call themselves social justice warriors?


Not typically. The SJW label gets thrown at feminists, lgbt activists, and racial equality activists among others. They're a monolithic group, and rarely use the label to describe themselves.


Why do people label them as social justice warriors and do the feminists hate it.
321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 4/24/17
I try to not pay attention to the absolutely idiotic people in this world.
Posted 4/24/17

PurpleJaeden wrote:

I try to not pay attention to the absolutely idiotic people in this world.


thats precisely why i'm asking this question. I want to know a bit more
qwueri 
20394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Online
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/24/17

Hobomilk wrote:

Why do people label them as social justice warriors and do the feminists hate it.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/social-justice-warrior

Some are probably bothered by the term, I doubt most feminists care. It's a pejorative that only has a sting within the internet communities that use it.
321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/26/17

Hobomilk wrote:


PurpleJaeden wrote:

I try to not pay attention to the absolutely idiotic people in this world.


thats precisely why i'm asking this question. I want to know a bit more


Ok let me clarify my response a bit I guess. Here's my opinion on "social justice warriors"
People like the one on the picture are absolutely incapable of putting their mind to something useful. They are a bunch of sheep who think they are standing up for something, while in fact they are just making statements that no one cares about.

They are the people that take jokes seriously, not because they don't understand the joke, but because they think it's highly offensive. These are the people that would go on a picture with a person because that person looks famous and someone else is taking a picture with him. They are the people who simply just follow other people because they can't think properly for themselves.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.