Post Reply Accidentally wen to a gay bar, and it was pretty damned fun.
10627 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 4/26/17
So, was in the Houston area over the weekend.
Going home I wanted to stop at a bar. I saw this place called "The Room" in Spring Texas. There wasn't really any give away that it was a gay bar. I go in, and order a drink. After a few minutes, it dawns on me that I am in a gay bar.
So, I ask these two guys, Manuel and Anthony, and they say yes. I ask if it is all right if I stick around an have a few drinks. They were super cool about it, and started asking me what I was doing in the area, etc.
Turns out Manuel is bi, but prefers men. He has a 17 year old daughter he raised himself. We talk about raising girls, because I have two and one on the way (long story) shared a pitcher of beer with me. He also said he was still afraid to tell his father about it.
Anthony seemed to be his reasonable, cover his ass, buddy... trying not to let him get too drunk. He worked for the post office as a carrier.
The bar tender was a super awesome older lady who made sure everyone was having a good time. She made me try an olive stuffed with blue cheese. I didn't enjoy that part.
It was all in all really great. I felt like I was being wrapped up in with the people. Like they cared. And they all knew I was a straight duded.

The next day, I went to a regular bar, and had a terrible time. People were either quiet or just there with their small groups. I felt alone.

Anyway.... the reason I wanted to tell this story is because, people out there judge. Or have the wrong idea about what happens at a gay bar. Or think that if they are around gay people they are going to get uncomfortable. Maybe it was just because the people there all knew what it was like to feel so alone, but I have rarely felt so welcome anywhere.

I am really glad I accidently found that place.
12117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 4/26/17
I've never been in a gay bar but I have a friend who's band played inside one and they also said that it was a really welcoming environment. Despite the nomenclature they have no issues with straight people being there, which is cool as is just about any inclusivity.
2547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 4/26/17


thanks for sharing dude. I'm happy you stumbled upon it too.
llunga 
4721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Mᴇᴡɴɪ
Offline
Posted 4/28/17 , edited 4/28/17
I accidentally did this once with my male friend.
The entire fucking bar meowed at me.
We sat down for God knows why,
My dumb ass friend ordered a drink because he was panicking apparently.
After the drink we ran out of there laughing our asses off.

When I say the whole bar meowed at me I fucking mean it. As I was going up to the bar a bunch of elderly gay men did this and I swear to god I was never more uncomfortable in my life.
26552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / FL
Offline
Posted 4/28/17 , edited 4/28/17


boy wanted his lollipop licked
10627 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 4/28/17 , edited 4/28/17

llunga wrote:

I accidentally did this once with my male friend.
The entire fucking bar meowed at me.
We sat down for God knows why,
My dumb ass friend ordered a drink because he was panicking apparently.
After the drink we ran out of there laughing our asses off.

When I say the whole bar meowed at me I fucking mean it. As I was going up to the bar a bunch of elderly gay men did this and I swear to god I was never more uncomfortable in my life.

Likely an inside joke. Probably took shit the wrong way. Or maybe they knew you were straight and were fucking with you.

Actually a couple got called out over karaoke for asking if it was a gay bar. But it was friendly, though slightly embarrassing. I think I didn't because I had a different demeanor. Like, I didn't give a fuck... beer is beer and people are people.
llunga 
4721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Mᴇᴡɴɪ
Offline
Posted 4/28/17

HolyDrumstick wrote:


llunga wrote:

I accidentally did this once with my male friend.
The entire fucking bar meowed at me.
We sat down for God knows why,
My dumb ass friend ordered a drink because he was panicking apparently.
After the drink we ran out of there laughing our asses off.

When I say the whole bar meowed at me I fucking mean it. As I was going up to the bar a bunch of elderly gay men did this and I swear to god I was never more uncomfortable in my life.

Likely an inside joke. Probably took shit the wrong way. Or maybe they knew you were straight and were fucking with you.

Actually a couple got called out over karaoke for asking if it was a gay bar. But it was friendly, though slightly embarrassing. I think I didn't because I had a different demeanor. Like, I didn't give a fuck... beer is beer and people are people.


They were messing with me because I was the only female that walked into the bar. It was funny in a really creepy way. They were hissing and everything too, I mean calm down. I felt worse for my friend because he's straight and just looking at his terrified face while he drank quickly to leave, I don't know how I controlled my laughter. I don't even remember if I did control it.
10627 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 4/28/17

llunga wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:


llunga wrote:

I accidentally did this once with my male friend.
The entire fucking bar meowed at me.
We sat down for God knows why,
My dumb ass friend ordered a drink because he was panicking apparently.
After the drink we ran out of there laughing our asses off.

When I say the whole bar meowed at me I fucking mean it. As I was going up to the bar a bunch of elderly gay men did this and I swear to god I was never more uncomfortable in my life.

Likely an inside joke. Probably took shit the wrong way. Or maybe they knew you were straight and were fucking with you.

Actually a couple got called out over karaoke for asking if it was a gay bar. But it was friendly, though slightly embarrassing. I think I didn't because I had a different demeanor. Like, I didn't give a fuck... beer is beer and people are people.


They were messing with me because I was the only female that walked into the bar. It was funny in a really creepy way. They were hissing and everything too, I mean calm down. I felt worse for my friend because he's straight and just looking at his terrified face while he drank quickly to leave, I don't know how I controlled my laughter. I don't even remember if I did control it.


Perhaps exclusively male gay bar?
llunga 
4721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Mᴇᴡɴɪ
Offline
Posted 4/28/17

HolyDrumstick wrote:


llunga wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:


llunga wrote:

I accidentally did this once with my male friend.
The entire fucking bar meowed at me.
We sat down for God knows why,
My dumb ass friend ordered a drink because he was panicking apparently.
After the drink we ran out of there laughing our asses off.

When I say the whole bar meowed at me I fucking mean it. As I was going up to the bar a bunch of elderly gay men did this and I swear to god I was never more uncomfortable in my life.

Likely an inside joke. Probably took shit the wrong way. Or maybe they knew you were straight and were fucking with you.

Actually a couple got called out over karaoke for asking if it was a gay bar. But it was friendly, though slightly embarrassing. I think I didn't because I had a different demeanor. Like, I didn't give a fuck... beer is beer and people are people.


They were messing with me because I was the only female that walked into the bar. It was funny in a really creepy way. They were hissing and everything too, I mean calm down. I felt worse for my friend because he's straight and just looking at his terrified face while he drank quickly to leave, I don't know how I controlled my laughter. I don't even remember if I did control it.


Perhaps exclusively male gay bar?


I haven't the slightest clue. That would make more sense. The bartender was really nice and didn't say anything about it. Not a lot of thinking went into that night to be honest.
13596 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / AH / Helipad
Offline
Posted 4/28/17
Kind of makes me want to visit a gay bar now. Except I would probably walk into one that didn't have nice people, knowing my luck.
61937 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 7/30/17
I had same experience , driving interstate pulled overto nearest bar for drink toilet break. Bar was aweome music everyone having good time. When hit destination normal bar dead quiet.
1051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 7/30/17
"ACCIDENTLY"
9575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/11/17
Sounds like you found a bar full of good people who just happened to be gay. Good find.
4610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 8/11/17
I accidentally went to gay bar in Omaha during a 77 hour cross country bus ride. One of the highlights of my trip.
2005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 8/11/17
I accidentally walked into a gay bar with a few of my friends while on a pub crawl once. I was so thick I didn't even notice when the male bartender handed me my drink with a wink and a "here you go cutie." I even walked out of there saying, "wow those guys were super friendly." I didn't realize it was a gay bar until my friend told me they were hitting on me.

I also went to a gay club once for my (now ex) GF's best friend's birthday. It was kind of nice not being the one paying for drinks for once.
You must be logged in to post.