First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Here are some reasons as to why some people don't read as much.
49226 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/29/17 , edited 5/24/17
Based off some very old thread that I couldn't find and can't even remember.

For those people who wonder why more and more people don't read for leisure time, here are the reason why.

If you have your own reasons, then list them. But these are some of my reasons. Feel free to agree or disagree with if you want.

1. Boring. Truth be told, some people see reading books for fun completely boring and refuse to do it.

2. Learning Disability. Some people can't read and rather not waste their time trying,

3. Time. Some people are too busy with their lives to stop at a bookstore or a library and get a book to read. No one has the time to do that.

4. Laziness. Some people are just too lazy to read the book and would rather watch the movie or the show.

5. Fear of the Terrible. Reading too many terrible books would make you wonder if every book is terrible.

6. No Entertainment. Some people don't want to read for fun and leisure, since they see no point in it.

7. Can't Visualize. If you're like me, unable to visualize when you read, then reading fiction novels is not really all that enjoyable. This is most likely caused by a mental disorder.

8. Magazine Fun. Some people prefer magazine or even newspapers over books.

9. School Dread. Some people hated that they read so much in school that they don't even want to touch a book.

10. Let's Get Digital. With newer technology coming our way, some people are more focused on that than read a book.

11. Just Not Into It. For some, reading is just one of those things that is simply not for them.

What do you think of the list?

26190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 4/29/17 , edited 4/30/17
First, I'm just going to say that I'm not one of those people who just thinks that books are just better than other media, and that everything in a book is automatically smarter than if it were in a video.

That said... no. Everyone should experience all forms of media. Everyone should read some books, and watch some movies/TV, and watch some plays, and read some comics, etc. If you don't, you're missing out.

All books aren't the same. There are books for everyone, just like there's anime for everyone, and movies for everyone, etc. Books are probably more diverse than anime and movies, because they're easier to make.

So saying you dislike all books is like if you were to watch one really bad movie and say all movies are like that. It's like people who think all anime is Yu-Gi-Oh!, or people who think all anime is hentai.

So... basically, that's silly. Not all books are the same. But the only one you're hurting is yourself, so I don't really care...
933 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / SOCAL for now
Offline
Posted 4/29/17 , edited 5/24/17
1. If you're bored reading, try reading something that's not.

3. If you have time to stand in a line for something or anything, you got time to read.

4. Fuck laziness when reading comes to it. Some of the laziest people read books.

5. If its' terrible, try something else.

6. You must be reading the wrong stuff not to be entertained.

7. Do you have to visualize it?

8. Go for it if that is what you like. If you have to, grab a Manga or comic.

9. School sucks the life out of everything at one point or time. You can't let if ruin the rest of your life.

10. What are you going to do when you're stuck out camping where there's no electricity?

11. It's not for everyone.
3258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Bent Reality
Offline
Posted 4/29/17
I don't read books because of school.
I used to love reading. Little known fact that's pretty well known: being forced to do something makes you dislike said thing. I hate reading now because of that.
49226 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/29/17

LavenderMintRose wrote:

First, I'm just going to say that I'm not one of those people who just thinks that books are just better than other media, and that everything in a book is automatically smarter than if it were in a video.

That said... no. Everyone should experience all forms of media. Everyone should read some books, and watch some movies/TV, and watch some plays, and read some comics, etc. If you don't, you're missing out.

All books aren't the same. There are books for everyone, just like there's anime for everyone, and movies for everyone, etc. Books are probably more diverse than anime and movies, because they're easier to make.

So saying you dislike all books is like if you were to watch one really bad movie and say all movies are like that. It's like people who think all anime is Yu-Gi-Oh!, or people who think all anime is hentai.

So... basically, that's silly. Not all books are the same. But the only one you're hurting is yourself, so I don't really care...


Hmm....this is good.


6636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/29/17
i use to read a lot but for awhile now just have had a hard time finding books i feel like reading.
49226 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/29/17

Flying_Sea_Turtle wrote:

1. If you're bored reading, try reading something that's not.

2. If you have a reading disability, How the hell do you get through daily life without knowing what the signs around you say?

3. If you have time to stand in a line for something or anything, you got time to read.

4. Fuck laziness when reading comes to it. Some of the laziest people read books.

5. If its' terrible, try something else.

6. You must be reading the wrong stuff not to be entertained.

7. Do you have to visualize it?

8. Go for it if that is what you like. If you have to, grab a Manga or comic.

9. School sucks the life out of everything at one point or time. You can't let if ruin the rest of your life.

10. What are you going to do when you're stuck out camping where there's no electricity?

11. It's not for everyone.



Is this your own list? Or are you going based of my list?
49226 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/29/17

jaykirbydudee wrote:

I don't read books because of school.
I used to love reading. Little known fact that's pretty well known: being forced to do something makes you dislike said thing. I hate reading now because of that.


For some people, it's like that.
933 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / SOCAL for now
Offline
Posted 4/29/17

qualeshia3 wrote:


Flying_Sea_Turtle wrote:

1. If you're bored reading, try reading something that's not.

2. If you have a reading disability, How the hell do you get through daily life without knowing what the signs around you say?

3. If you have time to stand in a line for something or anything, you got time to read.

4. Fuck laziness when reading comes to it. Some of the laziest people read books.

5. If its' terrible, try something else.

6. You must be reading the wrong stuff not to be entertained.

7. Do you have to visualize it?

8. Go for it if that is what you like. If you have to, grab a Manga or comic.

9. School sucks the life out of everything at one point or time. You can't let if ruin the rest of your life.

10. What are you going to do when you're stuck out camping where there's no electricity?

11. It's not for everyone.



Is this your own list? Or are you going based of my list?


It's a reply to your list, or to say the people who like to use those lines to avoid reading. No offense directed at you. I met people who used some of those lines as a reason not to read. The worse explanation was "I Don't want to read it because it would ruin the movie that's based on it."
23048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 4/29/17

jaykirbydudee wrote:

I don't read books because of school.
I used to love reading. Little known fact that's pretty well known: being forced to do something makes you dislike said thing. I hate reading now because of that.


^ School made me hate books.
15750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 4/29/17

Flying_Sea_Turtle wrote:The worse explanation was "I Don't want to read it because it would ruin the movie that's based on it."


I've avoided watching a movie because I wanted to read the book first but never the other way around. If you were wondering, the book/movie was The Martian and the book turned out to be pretty "meh" so I never got around to watching it.
12032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The outer atmoshe...
Offline
Posted 4/29/17 , edited 4/29/17

qualeshia3 wrote:

3. Time. Some people are too busy with their lives to stop at a bookstore or a library and get a book to read. No one has the time to do that.

4. Laziness. Some people are just too lazy to read the book and would rather watch the movie or the show.


In response to these two, I'd like to mention that audio books don't require any particular time or effort investment. You can listen to them while you're driving to work, walking between classes at school, working out at the gym, out shopping at a store, etc. All you need is your phone and some headphones, and you don't have to dedicate time to specifically sit down and read.
1077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/29/17
Every book I try to pick up and read nowadays just feels the same. It's like publishers can only get X author to write everything or everything in a particular genre. Most of the time I think it's also because all the books seem to likely be geared towards the teenage group of readers out there when even they find those books recommended to their age group likely boring or uninteresting too. Everyone from R.A. Salvatore to "Who Knows Who You Are" author just feels bland in my opinion too.
Ejanss 
17033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/29/17 , edited 4/29/17

Flying_Sea_Turtle wrote:"I Don't want to read it because it would ruin the movie that's based on it."


Although--pre-written YA cult-series franchises aside--when do we even SEE "Movies based on books" anymore?

After "The Accidental Tourist", it sort of sank into Hollywood that "Acclaimed NYT bestsellers" and "Movies where things actually happen" were growing off into two different directions, and it wasn't like the 70's of expecting the latest Sidney Sheldon or Stephen King paperback to be filmed.
Nowadays, if we hear "Based on the bestselling book", we all hide under our bed thinking it's going to be Nicholas Sparks.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.