First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply the draft and hypothetical WW3
21698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 5/8/17

Rowan93 wrote:


redokami wrote:

you are free to disagree with me but IMO women should not be drafted until its the last option in a huge conflict like ww3


In WW3, there wouldn't even be a "first option" for who gets drafted, let alone a "last" - in the time it takes a draft letter to be issued and reach its recipient, the major cities of every participating country will be radioactive and on fire.

Maybe once military technology has advanced to the point where that's not the case, we can worry about the draft, but the question arises of whether the new form of warfare arising in that era would resemble wars of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th enough that we'd need a draft at all.

And if your justification is reproduction, what are the odds that artificial wombs become mainstream before missile defence is good enough to stop 21st-century ICBMs?

hmm yes artificial wombs that rely on power that can easily be knocked out by a EMP... that we all know America is not ready for our grid system is shit
27011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Wales, UK
Offline
Posted 5/8/17

redokami wrote:


Rowan93 wrote:


redokami wrote:

you are free to disagree with me but IMO women should not be drafted until its the last option in a huge conflict like ww3


In WW3, there wouldn't even be a "first option" for who gets drafted, let alone a "last" - in the time it takes a draft letter to be issued and reach its recipient, the major cities of every participating country will be radioactive and on fire.

Maybe once military technology has advanced to the point where that's not the case, we can worry about the draft, but the question arises of whether the new form of warfare arising in that era would resemble wars of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th enough that we'd need a draft at all.

And if your justification is reproduction, what are the odds that artificial wombs become mainstream before missile defence is good enough to stop 21st-century ICBMs?

hmm yes artificial wombs that rely on power that can easily be knocked out by a EMP... that we all know America is not ready for our grid system is shit


This is in the context of a future America whose missile defence is good enough to keep fighting WW3 long after the ICBMs have started flying - if EMPs are even still a threat at all, a technology vital for repopulating after mass deaths would be provided for with EMP-hardened systems.
15100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 5/8/17
If there is a draft I believe it should be equal but that's a moot point for me because I disagree with the draft in the first place.
40 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/8/17 , edited 5/8/17

redokami wrote:


jugrnot007 wrote:

If women want to be treated equally they must accept the bad with the good, that includes the draft and possibly dying for their country. Anything else would be sexist.


we need women to keep a country going, ya know, more people born? I wasn't saying don't let women fight AT ALL , I said only as a last resort in a HUGE conflict like ww3
please re read
also remember when in ww2 women worked in factories and other jobs when the men left? we stil have a economy and work to do you know now imagine if more women and men left , what would happen? it wouldn't be good, thos factory jobs for war supplies being made by women really helped , so there is that issue too


The problem with this argument is that the social arrangements of the early 20th century and today in the second decade of the 21st are vastly different. First off, there are already more women than men in the U.S., if we sent an equal amount of both in the draft, then then there would be an equal amount of both to remain behind. In the early 20th century women took those jobs because they needed to, but would not normally do so (see: 1950s). Most women already work today. If only men got drafted its unlikely women would leave their jobs and careers to fill the positions the men left.

Not to mention the fact that the draft will be largely obsolete as large armies have a limited use in modern warfare. A small, elite team can accomplish as much as any army nowadays. Likely there will never be another draft. There's no point to them.
18337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 5/8/17
Putting aside my personal distaste for the draft, in the name of equality men and women should both have to register for the draft. individuals should receive equal benefits and equal responsibilities regardless of their gender. The Armed Forces is a very diverse area there are a plethora of different roles individuals can fulfil such as logistics, Administration, welfare, religion, nursing etc. etc. hell, the Israeli defence Force has a deaf people serving! (albeit in noncombative roles) there are plenty of roles within the military that women can fulfil and have successfully fulfilled in militaries around the world.


repopulating a country or the world after a war is not a difficult task especially when wars do not kill that many people when compared to the rest of the population. World War II killed approximately 50-80,000,000 people at a time when the world's population stood at about 2.5 billion; that's about 2-3.2% of the worlds population. Hardly a decimation. if a full on Armageddon style world war three occurred thinking about repopulation would be utterly pointless as we would obliterate ourselves in a brief nuclear exchange with any "survivors" dying of radiation poisoning (and other various related illnesses) in the subsequent days, weeks, months or even, years. this would be a civilisation destroying Rubicon from which we would never recover and if we ever descended into the madness of World War Three, we should not recover.

Putting all that to one side however, the only way your logic would work, would be to instigate and "encourage" widescale bigamy IE a man being able to take many wives.
21698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 5/8/17

Rasmend wrote:


redokami wrote:


jugrnot007 wrote:

If women want to be treated equally they must accept the bad with the good, that includes the draft and possibly dying for their country. Anything else would be sexist.


we need women to keep a country going, ya know, more people born? I wasn't saying don't let women fight AT ALL , I said only as a last resort in a HUGE conflict like ww3
please re read
also remember when in ww2 women worked in factories and other jobs when the men left? we stil have a economy and work to do you know now imagine if more women and men left , what would happen? it wouldn't be good, thos factory jobs for war supplies being made by women really helped , so there is that issue too


The problem with this argument is that the social arrangements of the early 20th century and today in the second decade of the 21st are vastly different. First off, there are already more women than men in the U.S., if we sent an equal amount of both in the draft, then then there would be an equal amount of both to remain behind. In the early 20th century women took those jobs because they needed to, but would not normally do so (see: 1950s). Most women already work today. If only men got drafted its unlikely women would leave their jobs and careers to fill the positions the men left.

Not to mention the fact that the draft will be largely obsolete as large armies have a limited use in modern warfare. A small, elite team can accomplish as much as any army nowadays. Likely there will never be another draft. There's no point to them.


if it is likely there will never be another draft then why the hell do our politicians keep fighting over it?
40 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/8/17 , edited 5/8/17

redokami wrote:


Rasmend wrote:


redokami wrote:


jugrnot007 wrote:

If women want to be treated equally they must accept the bad with the good, that includes the draft and possibly dying for their country. Anything else would be sexist.


we need women to keep a country going, ya know, more people born? I wasn't saying don't let women fight AT ALL , I said only as a last resort in a HUGE conflict like ww3
please re read
also remember when in ww2 women worked in factories and other jobs when the men left? we stil have a economy and work to do you know now imagine if more women and men left , what would happen? it wouldn't be good, thos factory jobs for war supplies being made by women really helped , so there is that issue too


The problem with this argument is that the social arrangements of the early 20th century and today in the second decade of the 21st are vastly different. First off, there are already more women than men in the U.S., if we sent an equal amount of both in the draft, then then there would be an equal amount of both to remain behind. In the early 20th century women took those jobs because they needed to, but would not normally do so (see: 1950s). Most women already work today. If only men got drafted its unlikely women would leave their jobs and careers to fill the positions the men left.

Not to mention the fact that the draft will be largely obsolete as large armies have a limited use in modern warfare. A small, elite team can accomplish as much as any army nowadays. Likely there will never be another draft. There's no point to them.


if it is likely there will never be another draft then why the hell do our politicians keep fighting over it?


I see you've surreptitiously avoided responding to any of the points made. Politicians don't always fight over things that are actually important, often, in fact, they fight over things they believe others want them to fight over and take a stand on.
4104 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/11/17

redokami wrote:


Rasmend wrote:


redokami wrote:


jugrnot007 wrote:

If women want to be treated equally they must accept the bad with the good, that includes the draft and possibly dying for their country. Anything else would be sexist.


we need women to keep a country going, ya know, more people born? I wasn't saying don't let women fight AT ALL , I said only as a last resort in a HUGE conflict like ww3
please re read
also remember when in ww2 women worked in factories and other jobs when the men left? we stil have a economy and work to do you know now imagine if more women and men left , what would happen? it wouldn't be good, thos factory jobs for war supplies being made by women really helped , so there is that issue too


The problem with this argument is that the social arrangements of the early 20th century and today in the second decade of the 21st are vastly different. First off, there are already more women than men in the U.S., if we sent an equal amount of both in the draft, then then there would be an equal amount of both to remain behind. In the early 20th century women took those jobs because they needed to, but would not normally do so (see: 1950s). Most women already work today. If only men got drafted its unlikely women would leave their jobs and careers to fill the positions the men left.

Not to mention the fact that the draft will be largely obsolete as large armies have a limited use in modern warfare. A small, elite team can accomplish as much as any army nowadays. Likely there will never be another draft. There's no point to them.


if it is likely there will never be another draft then why the hell do our politicians keep fighting over it?


Come back when you're not fresh out of liberal training camp and have lived some real life. It'll change your perspective, perhaps.
21698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 5/11/17

Zennethe wrote:


redokami wrote:


Rasmend wrote:


redokami wrote:


jugrnot007 wrote:

If women want to be treated equally they must accept the bad with the good, that includes the draft and possibly dying for their country. Anything else would be sexist.


we need women to keep a country going, ya know, more people born? I wasn't saying don't let women fight AT ALL , I said only as a last resort in a HUGE conflict like ww3
please re read
also remember when in ww2 women worked in factories and other jobs when the men left? we stil have a economy and work to do you know now imagine if more women and men left , what would happen? it wouldn't be good, thos factory jobs for war supplies being made by women really helped , so there is that issue too


The problem with this argument is that the social arrangements of the early 20th century and today in the second decade of the 21st are vastly different. First off, there are already more women than men in the U.S., if we sent an equal amount of both in the draft, then then there would be an equal amount of both to remain behind. In the early 20th century women took those jobs because they needed to, but would not normally do so (see: 1950s). Most women already work today. If only men got drafted its unlikely women would leave their jobs and careers to fill the positions the men left.

Not to mention the fact that the draft will be largely obsolete as large armies have a limited use in modern warfare. A small, elite team can accomplish as much as any army nowadays. Likely there will never be another draft. There's no point to them.


if it is likely there will never be another draft then why the hell do our politicians keep fighting over it?


Come back when you're not fresh out of liberal training camp and have lived some real life. It'll change your perspective, perhaps.


im a conservative lol and I have lived some real life, for instance ik what its like to be poor, according to government standards im considered 150 percent below poverty, I know what its like to be discriminated against etc, ,
19763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 5/11/17

MasterBismuth33 wrote:

It is against free will or divine law to force people to do anything. Government has become way too controlling of the people. Government should work for the people which is how it should be.


And free loaders like you have no right to expect to be taken care of for doing shit all. Either earn the right to live in a First World country or leave for some third world hell hole.

Service is a privilege and is the only true way to earn the rights so many whining people take advantage of.
Posted 5/11/17

Ranwolf wrote:


MasterBismuth33 wrote:

It is against free will or divine law to force people to do anything. Government has become way too controlling of the people. Government should work for the people which is how it should be.


And free loaders like you have no right to expect to be taken care of for doing shit all. Either earn the right to live in a First World country or leave for some third world hell hole.

Service is a privilege and is the only true way to earn the rights so many whining people take advantage of.


Yeah I agree with you on that one. I hope I get in the army before a war starts. I want a piece of the pie.
28408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 5/11/17 , edited 5/11/17

Zennethe wrote:


redokami wrote:


Rasmend wrote:


redokami wrote:


jugrnot007 wrote:

If women want to be treated equally they must accept the bad with the good, that includes the draft and possibly dying for their country. Anything else would be sexist.


we need women to keep a country going, ya know, more people born? I wasn't saying don't let women fight AT ALL , I said only as a last resort in a HUGE conflict like ww3
please re read
also remember when in ww2 women worked in factories and other jobs when the men left? we stil have a economy and work to do you know now imagine if more women and men left , what would happen? it wouldn't be good, thos factory jobs for war supplies being made by women really helped , so there is that issue too


The problem with this argument is that the social arrangements of the early 20th century and today in the second decade of the 21st are vastly different. First off, there are already more women than men in the U.S., if we sent an equal amount of both in the draft, then then there would be an equal amount of both to remain behind. In the early 20th century women took those jobs because they needed to, but would not normally do so (see: 1950s). Most women already work today. If only men got drafted its unlikely women would leave their jobs and careers to fill the positions the men left.

Not to mention the fact that the draft will be largely obsolete as large armies have a limited use in modern warfare. A small, elite team can accomplish as much as any army nowadays. Likely there will never be another draft. There's no point to them.


if it is likely there will never be another draft then why the hell do our politicians keep fighting over it?


Come back when you're not fresh out of liberal training camp and have lived some real life. It'll change your perspective, perhaps.


There perspective has nothing to do with being a liberal or not what the fuck is with the liberal bashing for no reason.
Why not bash the right whilst your at it also?
28408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 5/11/17 , edited 5/11/17

Ranwolf wrote:


MasterBismuth33 wrote:

It is against free will or divine law to force people to do anything. Government has become way too controlling of the people. Government should work for the people which is how it should be.


And free loaders like you have no right to expect to be taken care of for doing shit all. Either earn the right to live in a First World country or leave for some third world hell hole.

Service is a privilege and is the only true way to earn the rights so many whining people take advantage of.


I would rather sit in jail or die in a third world country then fight it's not a privilege it's stupid.
I will earn the right to live in my country without fighting in a war if im in a war i'm not following anyones orders i make my own decisions otherwise your going to have a bad time with me if you expect me to follow any orders

I'm loyal to no country nor would i risk my life for one ill fight to survive if i have to but it will be on my terms.
19763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 5/11/17

Hobomilk wrote:


Yeah I agree with you on that one. I hope I get in the army before a war starts. I want a piece of the pie.


I hear ya, wouldn't mind a shot at North Korea myself. CAF could really clean house there.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.