Post Reply i made a metal song with my guitar
2994 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/13/17
iambetterthanyou wrote a metal song on his guitar

have a listen: https://youtu.be/2XoMW4YDjrc
271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Ypsilanti, Michigan
Offline
Posted 5/14/17
I can dig that. May want to consider some more dynamics besides just cutting out, though. Additionally if you aren't going to use bass, consider recording separate guitar tracks, and boost the bass on one of them. That way if gives your guitar that thick tone. I'm not sure what you use to record, but even copying the exact guitar recording and creating multiple tracks with different EQ's can go a long way.
2994 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/14/17

kata89 wrote:

I can dig that. May want to consider some more dynamics besides just cutting out, though. Additionally if you aren't going to use bass, consider recording separate guitar tracks, and boost the bass on one of them. That way if gives your guitar that thick tone. I'm not sure what you use to record, but even copying the exact guitar recording and creating multiple tracks with different EQ's can go a long way.


thanks. the song does have bass but i guess i didn't make it loud enough. i use fl studio hardcore guitar plugin to record guitar and thanks for the tips
271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Ypsilanti, Michigan
Offline
Posted 5/15/17
So it was written entirely with plugins? You didn't record a real instrument?
2994 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/15/17

kata89 wrote:

So it was written entirely with plugins? You didn't record a real instrument?


i use a real guitar to record with my audio interface but i use a plugin amp. i don't have a real amp.
14842 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 5/16/17
Do you like the guitar tone you are getting? I don't have a ton of experience with plugin amps because they've always given me a sound like the one you are getting. It sounds a bit too thin and tinny for me. Are you getting thicker sounding cleans? Sometimes the drive sucks the weight out of the sound in which case, it might be a good investment to buy an Overdrive or Distortion Pedal. If your cleans are tinny too, maybe try out some other plugin amps or try messing with your settings more.
2994 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/16/17

sundin13 wrote:

Do you like the guitar tone you are getting? I don't have a ton of experience with plugin amps because they've always given me a sound like the one you are getting. It sounds a bit too thin and tinny for me. Are you getting thicker sounding cleans? Sometimes the drive sucks the weight out of the sound in which case, it might be a good investment to buy an Overdrive or Distortion Pedal. If your cleans are tinny too, maybe try out some other plugin amps or try messing with your settings more.


i like it but i know it can be better. the cleans sound good enough to me and thanks for the tips
321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 5/18/17

iambetterthanyou wrote:


kata89 wrote:

I can dig that. May want to consider some more dynamics besides just cutting out, though. Additionally if you aren't going to use bass, consider recording separate guitar tracks, and boost the bass on one of them. That way if gives your guitar that thick tone. I'm not sure what you use to record, but even copying the exact guitar recording and creating multiple tracks with different EQ's can go a long way.


thanks. the song does have bass but i guess i didn't make it loud enough. i use fl studio hardcore guitar plugin to record guitar and thanks for the tips


Oh god please don't use that fx, it's horrendous.
Your mix is pretty terrible, probably because you have never done this before.

- Get better drum samples or something like EZ/Superior drummer. Even without mixing those sound 10 times better than what you have now.
- Record rythm and lead guitar even if they are the same. Pan lead on left and rythm on right.
- If you don't have a bass make a bass party with a plugin (sine wave, 1 oscillator, tune down 2 octaves)
- Pan your cymbals as if you were sitting behind the drums
- Remove your reverb from your guitar, only add it if needed after you mixed your track

That's some stuff, I can honestly make a list with about 100 things but it's all about trial and error.
Your writing is pretty much beginner level, but you play the guitar pretty decent as far as I can hear.

Not trying to be harsh on you, so don't take offense if it sounds that way.
Goodluck with your music bruh, if you need any help let me know.
2872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / La
Online
Posted 6/4/17 , edited 6/4/17
Look up guides for things if you want to get better. I use TSE X50 for my guitar tone. Lepou plugin's are free and will sound better than what you are using.

Big tone factor is the cabinet you use. As you know real guitar uses a cabinet connected to an amp. So most plugins emulate this. Getting a good cab impulse will drastically change your sound.

EZ drummer or Superior drummer is basically the standard drum machine.

Keep playing, I used to make a song every day and I still suck. I just suck less

Here is my best mix. It's not the greatest and I can see the flaws, but it's a step in the right direction compared to yours.

https://soundcloud.com/ascenttozenith/sleeper

idc if this thread is old. I see metal in the title and had to throw out my opinion.

also imo the biggest thing in a mix is getting the low end to play well. Bass and kick is what gives you the big booty girl sound. But don't over do it. It's kind of overdone in my above mix.
1166 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Online
Posted 6/4/17

Zenpie wrote:

Look up guides for things if you want to get better. I use TSE X50 for my guitar tone. Lepou plugin's are free and will sound better than what you are using.

Big tone factor is the cabinet you use. As you know real guitar uses a cabinet connected to an amp. So most plugins emulate this. Getting a good cab impulse will drastically change your sound.

EZ drummer or Superior drummer is basically the standard drum machine.

Keep playing, I used to make a song every day and I still suck. I just suck less

Here is my best mix. It's not the greatest and I can see the flaws, but it's a step in the right direction compared to yours.

https://soundcloud.com/ascenttozenith/sleeper

idc if this thread is old. I see metal in the title and had to throw out my opinion.

also imo the biggest thing in a mix is getting the low end to play well. Bass and kick is what gives you the big booty girl sound. But don't over do it. It's kind of overdone in my above mix.


dis is still my favorite one tho

https://soundcloud.com/ascenttozenith/heat-remixed
2872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / La
Online
Posted 6/4/17

Elk_Whisperer wrote:


Zenpie wrote:

Look up guides for things if you want to get better. I use TSE X50 for my guitar tone. Lepou plugin's are free and will sound better than what you are using.

Big tone factor is the cabinet you use. As you know real guitar uses a cabinet connected to an amp. So most plugins emulate this. Getting a good cab impulse will drastically change your sound.

EZ drummer or Superior drummer is basically the standard drum machine.

Keep playing, I used to make a song every day and I still suck. I just suck less

Here is my best mix. It's not the greatest and I can see the flaws, but it's a step in the right direction compared to yours.

https://soundcloud.com/ascenttozenith/sleeper

idc if this thread is old. I see metal in the title and had to throw out my opinion.

also imo the biggest thing in a mix is getting the low end to play well. Bass and kick is what gives you the big booty girl sound. But don't over do it. It's kind of overdone in my above mix.


dis is still my favorite one tho

https://soundcloud.com/ascenttozenith/heat-remixed


Thanks lol. The song I'm working on is closer to heat than it is to my other songs. You should make a metal song
1166 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Online
Posted 6/4/17

Zenpie wrote:


Thanks lol. The song I'm working on is closer to heat than it is to my other songs. You should make a metal song



:thinking emoji: i cant SCREAM or else I will wake up my NEIGHBORS the walls are too thin for that SCREAMING !!!!

Guitar is too loud too, piano is quieter and kicks and snares are all digital in FL studio so im not waking any bl00ds up
2872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / La
Online
Posted 6/4/17

Elk_Whisperer wrote:


Zenpie wrote:


Thanks lol. The song I'm working on is closer to heat than it is to my other songs. You should make a metal song



:thinking emoji: i cant SCREAM or else I will wake up my NEIGHBORS the walls are too thin for that SCREAMING !!!!

Guitar is too loud too, piano is quieter and kicks and snares are all digital in FL studio so im not waking any bl00ds up


Excuses! You can play your guitar with your computer like I do. And I know FL has real drum samples too. They sound bad but yeah.

You can rap still too. Rap metal is a thing lmao.
You must be logged in to post.