First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply New York Times Article on Crunchyroll
34095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 5/17/17

54bubbles wrote:
When you walk into a store for the very first time and stop at the prominent display at the entryway, isn't it a good assumption that is what the store is selling? No different for CR. When accessing CR streaming services through the PS4 (which is a popular method) who in their right mind is going to think "Hold on, I have to Google everything I'm looking at because it's not self-explanatory."

The responsibility ultimately lies with CR to communicate and sell its services effectively.




Not when you're doing an article about anime. CR can't feature every single anime on their front page, or wherever. And as much as I dislike a great deal about CR, it's absurd to say that it's their responsibility to make sure journalists actually do their research, rather than just pick one popular currently airing anime, and use it to generalise the anime industry with. I don't see how CR is at fault for featuring popular shows. As a former journalism student who quit the course, journalism is all about that research. Sure, a regular customer of CR probably won't go through hours upon hours of anime, just to get a feel for it, and that's probably the same for a journalist, but it's their responsibility to at least make an effort. Since that's their job.
24367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M /
Offline
Posted 5/17/17
It was pretty obvious to me the author had a bias for the old time WB cartoons. Heck, I love them too. But he should have acknowledged that his anime sample size was, frankly, ludicrous. 1 episode out of 7 and i series out of over 800? Heck, I was not that super impressed with the first episode either, but it was table setting the rest of the series. It is like picking a bad porn movie and then making conclusions about all the rest of the movie industry based on that. I can only hope the author was under a tight deadline. He should be politely e-mailed and asked to increase his sample size and then rethink his position.
13715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / New York
Online
Posted 5/17/17

Frenzify wrote:
Not when you're doing an article about anime. CR can't feature every single anime on their front page, or wherever. And as much as I dislike a great deal about CR, it's absurd to say that it's their responsibility to make sure journalists actually do their research, rather than just pick one popular currently airing anime, and use it to generalise the anime industry with. I don't see how CR is at fault for featuring popular shows. As a former journalism student who quit the course, journalism is all about that research. Sure, a regular customer of CR probably won't go through hours upon hours of anime, just to get a feel for it, and that's probably the same for a journalist, but it's their responsibility to at least make an effort. Since that's their job.

Advertising responsibility is still ultimately CR’s. What they advertise is based on decisions made as a corporation to market their brand. While media producers may include promotional requirements in their contracts to stream their videos, it is CR who decides to oblige by signing the agreement. If the video becomes popular because of its viewership, it is more profitable to CR to display it prominently. Still, that is their decision.

As for journalistic responsibility, the author gave two specific examples in his search for cinematic videos — Akashic Records and Fist of the North Star — and mentioned “all of the other material” he viewed to make his point: “Cinema is pretty thin on the ground at Crunchyroll”.

People on the CR thread are upset with the article because (1) Akashic Records was selected as the popular face of “fresh anime” [phrase taken from the article’s title] and (2) CR received an unfavorable review as a source of cinematic video. To resolve either concern, people can try everything in their power to make Akashic Records unpopular and thus unavailable by not watching it, and/or ask CR to curate more cinematic videos.

Personally, I am totally guilty of supporting Glenn-sensei (♥). However, I also believe more cinematic anime should be curated. The author did admit CR knows its core demographic. CR and its community should be proud of that statement. But we, as a community, should not be offended if shows deemed popular reflect what we actually stream.
24367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M /
Offline
Posted 5/17/17

54bubbles wrote:
“Cinema is pretty thin on the ground at Crunchyroll”.

People on the CR thread are upset with the article because (1) Akashic Records was selected as the popular face of “fresh anime” [phrase taken from the article’s title] and (2) CR received an unfavorable review as a source of cinematic video. To resolve either concern, people can try everything in their power to make Akashic Records unpopular and thus unavailable by not watching it, and/or ask CR to curate more cinematic videos.
.


I don't disagree, but the article was about streaming services. So the gauntlet was wide, but the focus narrow. And I do like Akashic Records for the, uhm, record.
11151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/17
can someone point out where he said that all anime is garbage? cause i dont see it
25932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 5/17/17

54bubbles wrote:
The author did admit CR knows its core demographic. CR and its community should be proud of that statement. But we, as a community, should not be offended if shows deemed popular reflect what we actually stream.


This is pretty much what I disagree with.

All anime are not the same, and all anime fans are not the same.

By promoting the things "typical" anime fans like, I often feel like anime services are alienating people who might be interested in anime that aren't like that, but are horribly uninterested in popular anime.

You don't have to enjoy Dragonball to "earn" the "right" to watch something like Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Joker Game, Death Parade, Mononoke, etc.
There should be more marketing of titles like these to people who wouldn't be interested in things like Akashic Record, Naruto, or SAO. But I feel like the anime industry almost hides those titles behind the "otaku" shows.

. . . . . . . on one hand, I sort of get it, because typical anime fans are such that, if Crunchyroll doesn't make itself into basically a big flashing neon sign saying "YES WE HAVE BORUTO", those types of fans will just go pirate Boruto.

But at the same time... using Joker Game as an example, fans of good, historical spy dramas deserve to know that it exists. The writers and directors and everyone else who's worked on the show deserve to not have it hidden behind Fairy Tail.

I don't consider myself part of any "anime community" because I'm never into the shows everyone else is watching. I think Crunchyroll shouldn't just be for fans of popular things, it should be for everyone, just like Netflix and Hulu and other live-action streaming sites don't make themselves for just one genre.

(And like I said, that goes for casual viewers, but that doesn't cut it for a reporter. The reporter's job is to find those other titles and let the audience know they exist - research. It's really not hard to go to the "genres" filter and select "drama", even.)
13715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / New York
Online
Posted 5/17/17

LavenderMintRose wrote:
By promoting the things "typical" anime fans like, I often feel like anime services are alienating people who might be interested in anime that aren't like that, but are horribly uninterested in popular anime.

Then you'll have a difficult task ahead of you if you're looking to change the way typical anime fans measure up popular shows. Good luck with that.
5534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 5/19/17 , edited 5/19/17


Then you'll have a difficult task ahead of you if you're looking to change the way typical anime fans measure up popular shows. Good luck with that.


^^^




This is some good healthy discourse
6426 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / Pacific North West
Offline
Posted 5/19/17 , edited 5/19/17
Well, I have read the article, and read all the comments so I will give my 2 cents...

First of all the Author of the NY Times article seems to have a propensity towards older animation. In the article the author mentions Akira, and fist of the north star. While it is subjective I would say these older "Classics" were more up the Authors alley as no slander was implied. As to any journalist seeing Anime as soft porn or extremely violent... Forgive me for saying so, but I do no believe that is too far off the mark for CR.

I would encourage those familiar with anime to take a quick stroll through the 800+ list of shows and remove any that are violent or have "fan service." Not really a whole lot left is there? To a point I think many Anime viewers become Desensitized to a lot of fan service that likely many people would find offensive. Now don't get me wrong I myself find more enjoyment from shows like Mushi-Shi. or Shin Sekai yori, then i do shows like Akashic record. However The majority of shows on CR are popular because of fan service, violence, or a combination of the two. However, even the old western animation is not without its barrage of violence. Whether its Elmer Fudd shooting at Bugs Bunny, or the Coyote(who's name eludes me) executing any number of lethal traps to catch the road runner, violence in animation has been and likely always will be prevalent.

From what I read the Author stated CR was not much for Cinema. In a sense the author is correct. CR has alot more series to stream then it does actual cinema, however from his own writing it would seem Boomerang is in the same boat as it only features shorts(30 min or less) of western style animation. From what I have read here and the Article I have come to realize a few things. #1 I like what I like and dont give a damn what some pencil pusher thinks, #2 For what Akashic record is, the uniforms are a bit much #3 People like what they like and its almost impossible for them to change.

I for one am glad about the article. If nothing else its almost free advertising for CR. I hope someone out there will be interested in the lewd depiction of Akashic records, visit CR and stay for the works of art like Mushi-shi, Shin sekai yori, Flying witch, ect.
24367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M /
Offline
Posted 5/19/17

DevinKuska wrote:
However, even the old western animation is not without its barrage of violence. Whether its Elmer Fudd shooting at Bugs Bunny, or the Coyote(who's name eludes me) executing any number of lethal traps to catch the road runner, violence in animation has been and likely always will be prevalent.


Wile E. Coyote. And they have neutered Bugs Bunny by removing a lot of the violence and, hence, the humour. I don't like overly violent anime myself. Two that come to mind is Terraformars and Attack on Titan. But I guess that just means that I am in the minority.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.