First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply A question for the religious people
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/29/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Yonatan2 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

.. but you presume God is not a dick. Let us run with that, and ask if God would get mad if you did happen to renounce your faith to save your life, and who is the real dick here.

I believe a "loving" god will understand, but who knows?



Loving God?? He demanded child sacrifice.

Christianity is just slightly evolved from the Canaanite child sacrifice cults of Moloch.

Easter is a celebration of extreme child abuse.

WTF .... are all those church goers blind and stupid not to see this???

Why we are and what we are is way more wonderful than any fear and ego centered irrational explanation.


I have to avoid stepping on toes, I see no reason to, really. I have kept my own ideas towards the Christian beliefs out as much as necessary.

I apologize if I offended you. :(


No offense taken Perpheral

I regret the abrasive angry tone in my post.
I never bring this subject up with anyone because I try to respect the importance of their belief system.
I have been retired from the military for 12 years now, living in "the woods". I have spent those years reading to my hearts content, following my curiosity muse. I would like to reference Volume 1 of Will Durant "The Story of Civilization".
I also used to read my Bible most nights before bed from my mid teens to about 10 years ago. I could never stand Bible studies because they always cherry picked and tried to make truths through constant repetition of twisted dogma.

I would like to try again in a more useful and polite manner.
I offer my conclusions from my readings.

First, politicians and religious leaders who call abortion the same as sacrificing to Molock are just grandstanding with no knowledge of History. The actual equivalent would be bringing the newborn to the city dump to die. That is what they did back then for birth control. The discarded child might then be picked up by a family that could afford to raise that child. Making child sacrifice prior to going into battle was considered sound military strategy. The family would then give the adopted child up for sacrifice rather than their own children. Sacrifice to Moloch was done for some kind of gain or favor. Modern abortion is about birth control.

Child sacrifice while probably not done on a regular basis was a cultural norm in that area at the time. Several times in the Old Testament, the Hebrews were reminded not to pass their children through the fire, as if it was something that still could happen on occasion.

Abraham and Issac was child sacrifice practice even though it was not consummated.
Jesus was Gods child and God demanded that his child be sacrificed.
So roughly speaking, child sacrifice was a thing back then.

Today we still celebrate the child sacrifice of Jesus even though it is supposed to be the last. The fundamental precept of Christianity and Catholicism is that you you can be purposely evil your whole life and then claim the blood sacrifice of Jesus before you die and then be deserving of heavenly reward. The other good people of the world who will have nothing to do with blood sacrifice are condemned to burn in hell for eternity.

It is all about blood.

It is very depressing to me.

The good news is that people go to church for the community. Most churches cherry pick what fits community standards. And then there is some seriously twisted work to make some things fit the story. And nobody focuses too much on the blood. It is mostly about community.

I try not to criticize someones peaceful community but I guess I am challenging you to learn the historic facts that our culture has evolved from.

Time to watch some peaceful anime and forget for a time the horrors of our cultural foundation.
11000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/30/17

Rasmend wrote:


First part, yes, that is true.

Fine line, you're drawing there. Are you prepared to say when a person is actually alive in the womb? A very small portion of Planned Parenthood clinics were found selling body parts, to vilify all of them for it is rather generalizing. I would like to take this time to say I do not support wholeheartedly support abortion, but I also don't believe that abortion is always wrong.


This is not a matter of personal judgment but rather objective, scientific fact. The human life-cycle begins and a new, living individual of the human species exists upon conception. It's literally textbook science that you can find in biology, embriology, and medical textbooks. I can overwhelm you with quotes if you like.

It's true that prenatal murder is a small portion of what Planned Parenthood does; it's also true that the extermination camps were a small portion of the Third Reich's operations.


11000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/30/17

runec wrote:

No, they weren't. After 13 separate state investigations and a congressional inquiry there was no evidence of wrong doing or illegal activity within PP. On the other hand, the two shitheads responsible for that entire scandal are currently facing 15 felonies. -.-

Carry on.


During his trials, Heinrich Himmler repeated, ad nauseum, that not only was he merely obeying orders, but everything he did was legal. And he was right; it was all within the realm of German law at the time.

Doesn't make him *not* a monster.

Actually, at least his victims weren't exclusively children. He probably has less guilt on his shoulders than Cecile Richards.
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/30/17
It's also a proven fact that using a comparison to Hitler and Nazi Germany is the sign of a weak argument.
42429 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 5/30/17 , edited 5/30/17
For everyone in general,

One of the things I find interesting about questions to religious people is that people tend to say Christians "believe" or "disbelieve/confused" without actually backing up from authority from what Christians consider to be an authority.

Usually it is Jesus or the Bible. Some Churches also include an Apostolic Succession as well, which to them is a major authority to explain how Christians of their respective Churches should interpret what comes from scriptures. Additionally, there are numerous people who make a study of topics about Christianity.

Just saying that there's loads of commentators, and everyone has an opinion. But what makes yours about Christianity valid? Past experience in elementary religious school? That you went to Sunday school? That you went to Church for a few years or read a few pages in the Bible? Or that you simply knew a person who was Christian?

Why should someone take your claims as effective arguments which obtain your points beyond the simple random stream of consciousness?

The OP question was:


redokami wrote:
If you were taken hostage, by lets say, isis and were forced to confess your religion otherwise you would die-like how they have done it before
Would you say your true religion,and not deny your god in that moment even though you will die
Or would you say you are muslim to save your life?
runec 
36313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/30/17

karatecowboy wrote:
During his trials, Heinrich Himmler repeated, ad nauseum, that not only was he merely obeying orders, but everything he did was legal. And he was right; it was all within the realm of German law at the time.

Doesn't make him *not* a monster.

Actually, at least his victims weren't exclusively children. He probably has less guilt on his shoulders than Cecile Richards.


If you have to Godwin this right out of the gate you've already lost whatever argument you were trying to make.

Have you ever had a vaccine at any point in your life? Have your parents? Your grandparents? Then you've benefited from this. Your life has potentially been saved by it even. If one fetus can ( and quite literally has ) saved the lives of millions of other children, when it would just have been destroyed anyway, would you potentially doom millions of other children to death over your personal morality?

2201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / :)
Offline
Posted 5/30/17 , edited 5/30/17

redokami wrote:

If you were taken hostage, by lets say, isis and were forced to confess your religion otherwise you would die-like how they have done it before
Would you say your true religion,and not deny your god in that moment even though you will die
Or would you say you are muslim to save your life?

I honestly dont know what I woulddo..i have thought both



I'd tell them i'm muslim because i really am.
11000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/30/17 , edited 5/30/17

runec wrote:


If you have to Godwin this right out of the gate you've already lost whatever argument you were trying to make.

That is completely irrational. And, as one who lost relatives in the camps, I really resent that BS. It's a legitimate comparison; deal with it.




Have you ever had a vaccine at any point in your life? Have your parents? Your grandparents? Then you've benefited from this. Your life has potentially been saved by it even. If one fetus can ( and quite literally has ) saved the lives of millions of other children, when it would just have been destroyed anyway, would you potentially doom millions of other children to death over your personal morality?



So what? That's like saying you can't condemn slave labor or sweatshops because you bought an Apple product at some point in your life. It's just stupid. Human rights are important, and a new human exists upon conception.
runec 
36313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/30/17

karatecowboy wrote:
That is completely irrational. And, as one who lost relatives in the camps: you can take your "nyur nyur Godwin you lose!" and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. It's a legitimate comparison; deal with it.


No, it's not and having lost relatives in the camps doesn't make you immune to a bad argument.



karatecowboy wrote:
So what? That's like saying you can't condemn slave labor or sweatshops because you bought an Apple product at some point in your life. It's just stupid. Human rights are important, and a new human exists upon conception.


Well, thank you for establishing once and for all that it only matters to you before they're born. After that, fark em. Also, let me know when an iPhone saves millions of lives and becomes a cornerstone of medical research. Lets let our children die from easily preventable diseases. Heck, fuck people with HIV, Parkinson's, Diabetes and Alzheimer's while we're at it.

Hey! Do you know what else causes abortions? Rubella! Do you know where the vaccine for it comes from? That's right. Shut down fetal tissue usage and guess what you get? More abortions.
11000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/30/17 , edited 5/30/17

runec wrote:


No, it's not and having lost relatives in the camps doesn't make you immune to a bad argument.

Except it's not a bad argument; saying "Godwin! Neener neener!" is a bad argument, and you can't even address the content of what I said.



Well, thank you for establishing once and for all that it only matters to you before they're born. After that, fark em. Also, let me know when an iPhone saves millions of lives and becomes a cornerstone of medical research. Lets let our children die from easily preventable diseases. Heck, fuck people with HIV, Parkinson's, Diabetes and Alzheimer's while we're at it.

Hey! Do you know what else causes abortions? Rubella! Do you know where the vaccine for it comes from? That's right. Shut down fetal tissue usage and guess what you get? More abortions.


This is just non-sequiturs and pure bullshit. You know the point is that just because someone benefited from some human rights abuses doesn't justify human rights abuses. You're well aware of this; you just don't fucking care. They're sub-human to you, you're against equality, and nothing will change that.
11000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/30/17

Rasmend wrote:

It's also a proven fact that using a comparison to Hitler and Nazi Germany is the sign of a weak argument.


Actually, the comparison kind of is an insult to Nazi Germany. I mean, at least they generally killed other people's kids, rather than their own. Cursed is the kinslayer.
mxdan 
11240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 5/30/17

karatecowboy wrote:


This is just non-sequiturs and pure bullshit. You know the point is that just because someone benefited from some human rights abuses doesn't justify human rights abuses. You're well aware of this; you just don't fucking care.


'Human rights abuses'

...As defined by:

'A clump of cells with no sentience.'

So basically I'm committing human rights abuses when I masturbate.

Good god lock me up.
11000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/30/17 , edited 5/30/17

mxdan wrote:

'Human rights abuses'

...As defined by:

'A clump of cells with no sentience.'

So basically I'm committing human rights abuses when I masturbate.

Good god lock me up.


You're not making yourself look good here. You would fail a seventh grade advanced bio class. You know, at least the Creationists can't actually witness dinosaurs evolving into birds. You have no excuse.

All you're doing is showing you don't understand basic human reproduction and development. That's the "ignorant" part of your ignorant bigotry.
mxdan 
11240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 5/30/17

karatecowboy wrote:


mxdan wrote:

'Human rights abuses'

...As defined by:

'A clump of cells with no sentience.'

So basically I'm committing human rights abuses when I masturbate.

Good god lock me up.


You're not making yourself look good here. You would fail a seventh grade advanced bio class. You know, at least the Creationists can't actually witness dinosaurs evolving into birds. You have no excuse.

All you're doing is showing you don't understand basic human reproduction and development. That's the "ignorant" part of your ignorant bigotry.



I'm pretty sure I understand it extraordinarily well seeing as it is my minor amigo. Please do explain where I don't understand.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.