First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply What is the appeal of K-Pop?
20007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / missouri
Offline
Posted 6/7/17 , edited 6/7/17
I like Kpop, because the girls are cute, and I can't understand most of what they are saying. It makes me feel free to judge the song solely based on the performance and technique.

Unless you actualy care about my views on music you probably shouldn't read this.
7220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/19/17 , edited 6/19/17
I see no real appeal in K-pop, I just listened to this music around my house and the lyrics are anything but thought-provocative or deep. So yeah, I can't relate to the whole K-pop sound or lyrics (I prefer foreign music without random English words thank you very much). To be honest, I'm not deeply into post-1996 music.
11825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/22/17 , edited 6/22/17
Lets be honest, the sexy music videos. I mean i cant speak on the boy bands and that but the female groups are always full of sexy as hell women dancing extremley sexy and provocatively.
I mean the music really, whilst it has its own sound to an extent, really just sounds like commercial American music. Sounds like American pop and rap.
It has the formular. Hip hop and pop style beats, there's always a rapper that dose his/her little bit. Even the fashion, Whilst the Asians most definitely have their own style and hair cuts and that, some of it is very western/Americanized also.

Some of it is catchy. But alot of it i think is all about the music video's. I'll never understand why girls like the Asian boys who look like girls?
It looks so funny to me when they try to look cool and hard/tough and dress like black rappers but eh what ever floats your boat. Who am i to judge?




I should have just quoted you and saved myself some time ^^;
1006 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/17
I like kpop because ....the DANCE!!!

This made me a kpop fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoTBL39i60M

They're literally the best kpop dance group but they also sing amazingly and they write songs w/ meaningful lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBj4y9Zibao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALj5MKjy2BU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVwAVbKYYeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTcKkcyS410



and <insert all Bigbang videos here> those 2 groups made me a kpop fan.

I'm not a fan of most female kpop groups because they act like 5 years old (with all the cute and innocent act) but I LOVE strong female kpop groups like 2NE1 and Blackpink.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7_lSP8Vc3o THEY'RE MY QUEENS!



MrAnimeSK wrote:


Some of it is catchy. But alot of it i think is all about the music video's. I'll never understand why girls like the Asian boys who look like girls?
It looks so funny to me when they try to look cool and hard/tough and dress like black rappers but eh what ever floats your boat. Who am i to judge?


what kpop group dress like black rappers? some of them used to in the beginning because hip hop and rap is very popular over there but nowadays I can find no kpop groups that act like that. Bigbang? they're the best kpop group in all history and they don't look like girls to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZRb1we80kM they pull it off very well! (but nobody complains when it is female kpop artists who act like black rappers? haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o4Zj98FeX4 but they pull it off too)

Asians in general have a soft look to them, and in the west being soft = girl but in Korea is different, women actually love boys who dye their hair and wear make up.

Sometimes I think the west is full of stereotypes >_> being a man is not about what you wear but about how you behave.



11825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/26/17 , edited 6/26/17



I'll check out those dance ones at some point.
I find that quite surprising to hear you say that about female k pop groups. I dont find that at all. Sounds to me like you're talking about how most J pop female groups are??
I find the Korean girls to always be super sexy and/or strong and cool. I dont think i've ever seen a K pop video where they look or act like young girls or innocnet like the Japanese ones often do?

Yeah Black pink are kinda cool. I've actually seen that one you linked of the other group.

I dont know K pop groups by name. I know G.Dragon though. But here in Australia there is a show called "Pop Asia" and it plays mostly Korean music videos but also some Japanese.
I've seen videos on there of rappers but also pop groups/boy bands dressing like that.
Some of them look a cross between a final fantasy character, a punk or goth and a black rapper or white wigger lol.
Yeah i wouldn't say they look like girls. But they do look pretty and feminine. They dont really look tough or anything. Not compared to black rappers anyhow (well, old school black rappers, not the current bunch )

Yeah you're probably right, no one complains about the chicks doing it.

Yeah i mean it's true. Asians tend to be smaller than western men and often look young for a long time. It's really weird, Asians(like Chinese and Vietnamese and Korean, Japanese) seem to either look really goofy and geeky or just really small and short and not overly manly and etc yet often will have a stunningly georgeous Asian girlfriend. By that i mean they have this beautiful women who just looks way out of their leauge. But i know alot of them stick to their own because of culture and tradition and strict parents and money and etc.
But then the other Asians look very pretty like pretty boys.
Just seems like Asian girls are better looking overal than Asian men? or maybe tht's just through a guy who likes Asian girls eyes?
And what you say is true, but even in western countires you quite often see really really hot girls with white pretty boys. Like white pretty boys with the boy band hair and pink shirts and dress a bit feminine.
Plus i mean look how popular pretty boy actors and musicians are. Like how girls love the pretty boys in the boy bands and that.

So even though in western countires men are overall seen in a certain light or its viewed that they should look or dress in certian ways or there are ways that a man is seen as "manly" pretty boys do ok.
Better than ok. But i mean in hip hop it was always about the bars and the image.
Not all rappers were on the gangsta or thug image but in general rappers are tough or aggressive or , well, not pretty and the fashion sure has changed.
It was funny seeing korean rappers but now the new black American rappers are not much different with the fashion and hair and that.

Anyways iam rambling.

But all the songs you posted were good examples of how they sound exactly like American music. The beats inparticular.




34962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Vancouver, BC, Ca...
Offline
Posted 6/26/17

jujitsu213 wrote:

I like Kpop, because the girls are cute, and I can't understand most of what they are saying. It makes me feel free to judge the song solely based on the performance and technique.


All of the above.

I can't stand current American Top 40 (whatever is popular in the US right now, basically) because it all sounds so... redundant, uninspired, and the lyrics make me cringe.

As far as performance and technique in K-Pop goes, while there are a lot of talented vocalists, there are also a lot of groups with members who are there just for eye candy and can't really sing without a backing track. And speaking of, I wish more K-Pop events had a live band instead of the backing tracks.
34962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Vancouver, BC, Ca...
Offline
Posted 6/26/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:

I find that quite surprising to hear you say that about female k pop groups. I dont find that at all. Sounds to me like you're talking about how most J pop female groups are??
I find the Korean girls to always be super sexy and/or strong and cool. I dont think i've ever seen a K pop video where they look or act like young girls or innocent like the Japanese ones often do?




A lot of the current generation girl groups debut with innocent concepts. One of my favorite groups right now, GFriend, had a "trilogy" of releases where it was a schoolgirl concept. Admittedly, I didn't like them then because I'm not a fan of the cutesy style (I became a fan when I saw live performances of their song "Navillera").

11825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/26/17

miGneto wrote:




A lot of the current generation girl groups debut with innocent concepts. One of my favorite groups right now, GFriend, had a "trilogy" of releases where it was a schoolgirl concept. Admittedly, I didn't like them then because I'm not a fan of the cutesy style (I became a fan when I saw live performances of their song "Navillera").



Hmm not sure if i've seen them or not. Probably. I'll suss them out. Hmm yeah not sure i've seen Koreans do the school girl thing before?
1220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / Haymarket, VA
Offline
Posted 6/29/17 , edited 6/29/17
I don't get it either. It just feels like an inferior Korean rip-off of J-Pop like Peppero is to Pocky.
11825 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 6/29/17

GundamQueen wrote:

I don't get it either. It just feels like an inferior Korean rip-off of J-Pop like Peppero is to Pocky.


It is kind of a rip off of J pop but it's a much sexier version and much more westerized, sort of a rip off or American music also.
77795 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 7/1/17
Music is subjective man. Just like art...or taste...
26696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / Saniwa's Citadel
Offline
Posted 7/30/17
I think it's because of their catchy songs + pretty faces. And I would like to add that many of the artists had great and nice voices.
502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 7/31/17
My friend says he loves Korean girls
8512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / a pop tart
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 7/31/17
I like French music....
Posted 8/17/17
What's not to get? Philip of Wong Fu productions already explained, "it's a group of really good looking Asian guys who can sing and dance."
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.