First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Study shows that the same genes responsible for homosexuality cause mental illnesses
564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
All of time / God
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

Potentsaliva wrote:

I think the same like 6-8-ish people are gonna argue like they always do



LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i havent had a laugh like this for a long time
27177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/31/17 , edited 5/31/17

cdarklock wrote:

I will simply point at Thomas Szasz, and observe that for a great many years, a tiny minority of distinguished psychiatrists and psychologists have suggested the reasonably radical notion that mental illness does not exist.

What we call mental illness is, simply put, a collection of behaviours and beliefs which some group of people has decided are bad and wrong and constitute a disease. And when we think those people are qualified to decide such a thing, we nod our heads and agree. But nobody takes a vote on whether polio and lymphoma are a disease or not, because that's absurd. Why do we let it happen with mental disorders?

There shouldn't be any list of "approved" behaviours and beliefs. That's kind of the entire point of the first amendment. If you're not infringing anyone else's rights, you should be able to do and think whatever you damn well please. Even if it's weird or offensive.


No surprise his claims have been rejected by just about every health organization--even psychiatric critics say he goes a step too far. I hope you're joking about actually thinking mental illness is a myth, otherwise my ruined digestive system would like a word with you.

What we define as mental illness is directly related to distress and its physiological consequences. It's the the same reason being transgender is not a mental illness but the distress often associated with it--gender dysphoria, is.

If we forced homosexuals to have heterosexual sex--some may experience significant distress--unlike sexual orientation--when it comes to gender dysphoria society can't just change attitudes as such individuals are constrained by biology. Biology does not limit a homosexual from his behaviors as one's physical presentation limits a transgender--not societal views. It's why its defined by the state of mind and less to do with changing societal views, of course, in time it may be just lumped in with Body Dysmorphic Disorder--but nonetheless--the significant distress experienced over a prolonged duration is conclusively symptomatic of mental illness.

Same difference between "perfectionist" and OCD--someone with OCD is distressed by their behaviors and thoughts.

Being weird or descriptively eccentric is not evidence of a mental illness.

20684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

karatecowboy wrote:

As long as I'm paying taxes to support, educate, jail, medically treat the babies and or diseases/injuries that result then it's my business. Witness the gradual erosion of freedom and fundamental human rights that comes with creeping collectivism and government authority. Ain't it wonderful?


But you're not. You're paying taxes to cover your share of all the services the government provides to you.

If you live and work and make money in this country, that is a valuable service they provide. With no government, after all, there would be no country for you to live and work and make money in.

And the more money you make, the more you are profiting from the government's services, so the higher your tax bill goes. If you could make more money in another country, you would go there and pay their taxes instead - because they would be providing you with more and better services.

Then the government takes the money you paid in taxes, which is no longer yours, and does whatever they damn well please with it because it's their money. Just like when you sell a product or service, you can spend all the money on hookers and blow even if your customer doesn't approve, and he has little if any leverage to make you stop.

And yes, the government is using a great deal of that tax money to take people who don't make any money and point them in a direction where maybe they can go make some money. Then they will pay taxes, too.

Think of it this way: you are basically a business complaining that your investors take the profit they make from your company, and invest it in small start-ups that mostly fail... instead of investing it right back into you. But at some point, your business was one of those small start-ups that mostly fail. What if they'd never invested in you? You weren't special. You were just another small start-up, overwhelmingly likely to fail.
11423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 5/31/17

karatecowboy wrote:


Elvikun wrote:

I'm just baffled that people still care deeply and wish to change what other, unrelated people do in bed with others. Just don't care what other people willingly do to each other. It's easy, I promise.


As long as I'm paying taxes to support, educate, jail, medically treat the babies and or diseases/injuries that result then it's my business. Witness the gradual erosion of freedom and fundamental human rights that comes with creeping collectivism and government authority. Ain't it wonderful?


Yes, gay people being free to be gay is a phenomenal violation of your freedom, isn't it.
20684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

PrinceJudar wrote:

No surprise his claims have been rejected by just about every health organization


Which, lest we forget, is profiting from treatment of the condition he says doesn't exist.


I hope you're joking about actually thinking mental illness is a myth, otherwise my ruined digestive system would like a word with you.


A ruined digestive system is a physical condition, not a mental illness.


What we define as mental illness is directly related to distress and its physiological consequences.


If you are distressed by anything at all, you have basically two choices: you can change it, or you can accept it. That's it.

But if you are too weak to change and too stupid to accept it, you can also just take some drugs. Sometimes the drugs can produce actual change, but mostly they just make you stop giving a shit. That's why cannabis is a "cure" for so many things: smoke enough weed, and you won't care anymore. Cannabis "cures" OCD by making people who have it stop giving a shit whether they flipped the light switch enough times or not, because they can't remember whether they were up to five or twelve anyway.


If we forced homosexuals to have heterosexual sex


...that would be called "rape." Forcing people to have sex they don't want to have is rape. Why the fuck are you even going here? What is wrong with you? "Raping people is distressing to them" is news on what fucking planet, exactly?


Being weird or descriptively eccentric is not evidence of a mental illness.


That's going in the wrong direction. Being weird isn't a mental illness, but most mental illnesses are just being weird. I shared an office with a guy who had OCD. Whenever he turned the lights on or off, he had to flip the switch precisely seventeen times. This was weird. And it distressed him when someone else didn't, so if anyone else turned the lights on he would have to go turn them off... flipping the switch seventeen times... then count to seventeen and turn them on again, flipping the switch seventeen times.

So whenever he was coming to the meeting, we rapidly learned that he needed to get the lights. Is Barry here? Okay, Barry, get the lights. It didn't take long. Barry did not need therapy or drugs, both of which he had quit because the therapy made him feel self-conscious and the drugs made him feel drunk. Barry was just weird. But because he was good at his job, this was okay, he was allowed to be weird. We were software developers; most of us were weird.

If you're so weird that you can't hold down a job or maintain normal social relationships, then maybe you need help in CHANGING or ACCEPTING your particular weirdness. But you are not SICK. You do not have a DISEASE. You are just WEIRD.
10768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

cdarklock wrote:


karatecowboy wrote:

As long as I'm paying taxes to support, educate, jail, medically treat the babies and or diseases/injuries that result then it's my business. Witness the gradual erosion of freedom and fundamental human rights that comes with creeping collectivism and government authority. Ain't it wonderful?


But you're not......



Pretty much everything you wrote is factually false, starting with this:
But you're not. You're paying taxes to cover your share of all the services the government provides to you.

You can go through the government budget and see that most tax dollars are not spent on services rendered directly or even close to indirectly to the person who pays them

This is false:
I With no government, after all, there would be no country for you to live and work and make money in.
People have lived in non-sovereign territories without nation-states for most of history. They still made their lives and their livings.

This is also factually incorrect:
And the more money you make, the more you are profiting from the government's services,
Any accountant could look at a businesses revenues and show you, mathematically, how increased profits are a result of increased customer patronage and other business factors. With a few exceptions, itt is factually incorrect to say that government generates business revenues.

This is also factually false:
Then the government takes the money you paid in taxes, which is no longer yours, and does whatever they damn well please with it because it's their money.

The money is the taxpayer's and the government is the custodian of that. You need to learn the basics of American civics. The government gets its powers and abilities by delegation from individuals. Their ability to operate is predicated upon the rights and consent of the people. This is all written out in the Declaration and Constitution. It's factually incorrect to say they can spend it "however they want" because the Constitution regulates the government.

Then there's this...
Think of it this way: you are basically a business

Um, no, I will not think of it that way. I will think of it the American way, which is that God created us with certain inalienable rights, and the reason why we create governments is to delegate our authority to them to protect those God-given rights. One principle surrounding that is you cannot have rights without responsibility or responsibility without rights (eg taxation without representation). If someone has a right to my tax dollars for whatever reason, then they have responsibilities that must in turn be fulfilled. It's a fact of life and a matter of basic decency. I am not a business. I am a citizen and a human, with certain God-given rights.

10768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

octorockandroll wrote:



Yes, gay people being free to be gay is a phenomenal violation of your freedom, isn't it.


You clearly don't understand what it is I am saying.
mxdan 
10952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

karatecowboy wrote:

Um, no, I will not think of it that way. I will think of it the American way, which is that God created us with certain inalienable rights, and the reason why we create governments is to delegate our authority to them to protect those God-given rights. One principle surrounding that is you cannot have rights without responsibility or responsibility without rights (eg taxation without representation). If someone has a right to my tax dollars for whatever reason, then they have responsibilities that must in turn be fulfilled. It's a fact of life and a matter of basic decency. I am not a business. I am a citizen and a human, with certain God-given rights.



Go here:

http://constitutionus.com/

Press ctrl-f on your keyboard and type in 'god'.

I await your response and anticipate your deflection.
11423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 5/31/17

karatecowboy wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:



Yes, gay people being free to be gay is a phenomenal violation of your freedom, isn't it.


You clearly don't understand what it is I am saying.


What is it you're saying then?
10768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/31/17 , edited 5/31/17

mxdan wrote:

Go here:

http://constitutionus.com/

Press ctrl-f on your keyboard and type in 'god'.

I await your response and anticipate your deflection.


Why would I do that? What is your point?

EDIT: BTW, i'd like to apologize for yesterday in that other thread. I was a jerk and a brickhead about disagreement. I should be treat you gracefully, even if I disagree with what you're saying.
35671 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/31/17

Rujikin wrote:
I'd say the thing that helps keep evolution going is normal and the thing that stops evolution is abnormal. If everyone is straight the species survives while if they are all gay the species dies.


From an evolutionary standpoint, a gay member of a social species can contribute effort and resources into offspring who are not their own through familial bonds. Thus increasing the chances of said offspring's survival.

Also, natural is super gay. Amazingly gay, even.



PrinceJudar wrote:
The genetic variants responsible for higher intelligence are often associated with a higher risk of autism. I guess by this logic people should be running around saying how bad high intelligence is because it's genetically associated with a higher risk of autism.


Indeed. Genetic risk factors in particular are hard to pin down. Especially with complex, multi-factor things such as depression. Just because a gene is responsible for contributing a risk factor doesn't mean it's necessary for said problem. Only that it can contribute to an increase risk.

Devil is in the details and all that.



octorockandroll wrote:
I just wanted a convenient excuse to rant about how people who put pineapple on their pizza are grotesque deviants.


Yes, yes they are.
6895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Temple of Yaoiism
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

Potentsaliva wrote:

I think the same like 6-8-ish people are gonna argue like they always do


Spot on prediction.
10768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

octorockandroll wrote:


What is it you're saying then?


What I'm trying to get at is the tying together of rights and responsibility. For example, if I am going to claim to have a right to your money to pay my health bills then I have a responsibility to you to do my best to stay healthy. Likewise, if I have a responsibility to provide my neighbor's health bills then I have a right to demand he is doing things to avoid needing special health treatment and such, like staying healthy. Rights and responsibility are inexorably tied together. That's part of our heritage and our culture and it goes back to English Common Law; the US revolution was predicated upon the assertion that King George III, while exercising his powers as a ruler, had neglected his relevant responsibilities. Does that make sense?
27177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/31/17 , edited 5/31/17

cdarklock wrote:




Wait, you're actually serious? I thought you were legitimately joking. No one is that st--okay--


A ruined digestive system is a physical condition, not a mental illness.


What you need is a heavy dose of science immediately.

May I suggest Robert Sapolsky's Stanford lectures? He goes over fundamental neurological and biological science you appear to have missed in your education.
5796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Outer Orbit
Offline
Posted 5/31/17 , edited 5/31/17

karatecowboy wrote:


Elvikun wrote:

I'm just baffled that people still care deeply and wish to change what other, unrelated people do in bed with others. Just don't care what other people willingly do to each other. It's easy, I promise.


As long as I'm paying taxes to support, educate, jail, medically treat the babies and or diseases/injuries that result then it's my business. Witness the gradual erosion of freedom and fundamental human rights that comes with creeping collectivism and government authority. Ain't it wonderful?


Yeah, because straight people never need any of the things you just named and also homosexual people don't pay taxes, as is common knowledge.
On a serious note tho, if you are indeed being serious, you probably should worry about the other 97-98% of population, rather than the very few homosexuals, most of whom won't even need the things you listed in their life, or at the very least not any more or less than you or any average person.

And I agree, the people with the idea that they get to dictate who can do what and how because they pay taxes are wonderfull. It's like they live in their own little bubble reality, ain't it?

Yeah, I'm salty as hell here, but come on, you can't be serious with the "I pay taxes, so t's my business what you do in your bedroom" argument.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.