First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Study shows that the same genes responsible for homosexuality cause mental illnesses
11000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

PrinceJudar wrote:


What you need is a heavy dose of science immediately.




Tastes great, now with fewer calories!

15230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 5/31/17
I'm glad you both understood what I was going for here, even if you may not have realized it xD


octorockandroll wrote:

No, it would have to change it in other ways than just that. Look at it this way: is liking pineapple on your pizza a mental illness? It puts you in a minority and yes, some more insensitive people may call you a repugnant deviant for it not to mention that liking such a thing is a change in thinking and behaviour. So are we gonna start calling that a mental illness?


Thats largely my point. That definition of mental illness if far too broad to really use as a research question. Thats what makes it difficult to classify things as mental illness.

Dogempire wrote:

Homosexuality isn't really a change, unless you're speaking of relative to the norm of society. People aren't (at least I don't think they are, might be a good thing to research) automatically heterosexual prior to birth.


I agree. You have to define "normal" to speak about mental illness which again, opens up a lot of imprecision when trying to classify things as "mental illness"
20760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

karatecowboy wrote:

Pretty much everything you wrote is factually false,


Let's use a particular service as an example: the government prints money. So to sell a product or service for money, you must convince people who have money that they want your product or service more than they want the money. Without this government service, the customer would have no money to give you.

Of course, you don't need the money. You could sell your product or service for goats, potatoes, and back rubs. This is called "arbitrage," and if that's how you do all your business, you will pay little or nothing in taxes. But it is more profitable for you to use the government-provided service of currency. We can tell, because if it wasn't, you wouldn't do it.

You should probably have gone beyond civics and taken an economics course.


Um, no, I will not think of it that way. I will think of it the American way


This is the American way. You can tell, because it's how America actually works.
70 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

SchlomoShekelberg

Something tell me that this is just another alt righter trolling.
11774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 5/31/17

karatecowboy wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


What is it you're saying then?


What I'm trying to get at is the tying together of rights and responsibility. For example, if I am going to claim to have a right to your money to pay my health bills then I have a responsibility to you to do my best to stay healthy. Likewise, if I have a responsibility to provide my neighbor's health bills then I have a right to demand he is doing things to avoid needing special health treatment and such, like staying healthy. Rights and responsibility are inexorably tied together. That's part of our heritage and our culture and it goes back to English Common Law; the US revolution was predicated upon the assertion that King George III, while exercising his powers as a ruler, had neglected his relevant responsibilities. Does that make sense?


In a very twisted version of the word, yes.
Posted 5/31/17
Why do transgender people feel that they have to force the public to accept their alternative lifestyle?

it's a real question? that needs to be addressed.
11000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

SchlomoShekelberg wrote:

It's also found that being homosexually abused as a child increases your chances of being a homosexual. So theoretically if we cracked down on child abuse, and pedophiles abusing little boys we'd see a decrease in the amount of homosexuals.


Aberrosexual activists have long been loathe to acknowledge this, but they seem to be coming around lately now that SCOTUS has legislated them a big hunk of what they want. They say there are "multiple paths to homosexuality" and I feel confident saying this is one. So, it stands to reason that if there were a way to eliminate pedophilia and pederasty then we would see a decrease in the number of homosexuals in society at large.
9755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 5/31/17 , edited 5/31/17

cdarklock wrote:


karatecowboy wrote:

Pretty much everything you wrote is factually false,


Let's use a particular service as an example: the government prints money. So to sell a product or service for money, you must convince people who have money that they want your product or service more than they want the money. Without this government service, the customer would have no money to give you.

Of course, you don't need the money. You could sell your product or service for goats, potatoes, and back rubs. This is called "arbitrage," and if that's how you do all your business, you will pay little or nothing in taxes. But it is more profitable for you to use the government-provided service of currency. We can tell, because if it wasn't, you wouldn't do it.

You should probably have gone beyond civics and taken an economics course.


Um, no, I will not think of it that way. I will think of it the American way


This is the American way. You can tell, because it's how America actually works.


Read back on some of your stuff. I like you. You get it.

*EDIT* by getting it I mean that you understand the the systems themselves are user defined, and a such, are only "right" because they function. Money and government are necessary illusions to make things work and function, (at least easier and at a larger scale). Behind it all is anarchy and a chaotic reality, but the illusion of money being real or "self evident human rights" are things that make life SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more pleasant.
24684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / in the land of th...
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

There is no scientific proof you can see in a microscope that mental illness is caused by bad DNA. This is a myth.
The only reason the Chemical psychiatry industry hypothesizes a link between DNA and mental illness is because of social studies of identical twins and families. The problem with this, is that many things not related to DNA run in families like religion..

More said...a possible revulsion against same sex parent during childhood..you hate father and or are repulsed by abusive mother, etc..
Result could become, not bad DNA but a simplistic matter of sexuality becoming a burden, you turn to someone of same sex as you for relief...

QED
11000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 5/31/17

cdarklock wrote:



Let's use a particular service as an example: the government prints money. So to sell a product or service for money, you must convince people who have money that they want your product or service more than they want the money. Without this government service, the customer would have no money to give you.

Of course, you don't need the money. You could sell your product or service for goats, potatoes, and back rubs. This is called "arbitrage," and if that's how you do all your business, you will pay little or nothing in taxes. But it is more profitable for you to use the government-provided service of currency. We can tell, because if it wasn't, you wouldn't do it.

You should probably have gone beyond civics and taken an economics course.

That's still not profiting from the money; rather, the money represents the value accrued as a profit of the business you're doing. While using currency is easier than barter that's not really the purpose of government(and besides, private currencies can exist, as well as metal currencies that have value without relying on the government. The reason the government exists is written out pretty clearly in the Declaration: it exists to protect the God-given rights of individuals. Humanity --individuals --existed long before the government, and so everything the government has was provided to it by people. It has nothing of its own that was not given to it by people like you and I. Even the powers it have are given, by delegation, with the consent of the governed.




This is the American way. You can tell, because it's how America actually works.


Well, you've demonstrated how currency works, at least.. But, we're citizens, not walking, talking businesses, etc. Have you read the Federalist Papers?
24102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Online
Posted 5/31/17
I am not sure about you guys, but if studies like these are truthful, it may provide more insight to help people at a higher risk for these mental illnesses, among other things.
mxdan 
11220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Online
Posted 5/31/17

-Requiem wrote:


There is no scientific proof you can see in a microscope that mental illness is caused by bad DNA. This is a myth.
The only reason the Chemical psychiatry industry hypothesizes a link between DNA and mental illness is because of social studies of identical twins and families. The problem with this, is that many things not related to DNA run in families like religion..

More said...a possible revulsion against same sex parent during childhood..you hate father and or are repulsed by abusive mother, etc..
Result could become, not bad DNA but a simplistic matter of sexuality becoming a burden, you turn to someone of same sex as you for relief...

QED


Direct Illness perhaps not, but disposition is inherited. There is a causal link in percentage between people with mental illness and their children. A certain percentage of this you would think to be simply environmental but we see that children with links to mental illness generations back. This means that there are some genetic variables that cause certain things.

mxdan 
11220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Online
Posted 5/31/17 , edited 5/31/17

karatecowboy wrote:


mxdan wrote:

Go here:

http://constitutionus.com/

Press ctrl-f on your keyboard and type in 'god'.

I await your response and anticipate your deflection.


Why would I do that? What is your point?

EDIT: BTW, i'd like to apologize for yesterday in that other thread. I was a jerk and a brickhead about disagreement. I should be treat you gracefully, even if I disagree with what you're saying.



Hey no worries man. It's a heated subject, especially when it describes a part of your morality. I try not to let the small stuff effect me. Sometimes it does but if I'm really bothered I'll let you know haha.
9755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 5/31/17 , edited 5/31/17

karatecowboy wrote:

That's still not profiting from the money; rather, the money represents the value accrued as a profit of the business you're doing. While using currency is easier than barter that's not really the purpose of government(and besides, private currencies can exist, as well as metal currencies that have value without relying on the government. The reason the government exists is written out pretty clearly in the Declaration: it exists to protect the God-given rights of individuals. Humanity --individuals --existed long before the government, and so everything the government has was provided to it by people. It has nothing of its own that was not given to it by people like you and I. Even the powers it have are given, by delegation, with the consent of the governed.



Actually, that's a HUGE part of why governments work and also WHY they work. Government is about 80% economics and policy revolving around economics.

"god given rights" are a myth borne of the enlightenment.

Slavery can exist within a governmental system and function quite well (objectively). many nations exist even today that function and survive without the things you would consider "god given rights".
242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 5/31/17
SchlomoShekelb Just because someone did a study and get it somewhere published does not mean it is evidence or an absolute fact.

Read their methodology. What I smell? a lot of bullshit. Since it is utterly biased, using one of the lowest methods of acquiring qualitative information: a non-face-to-face interview.

You want to read studies on genes. Then (A) follow reasonably advanced genetics courses and pass their tests. So you may (B) start reading systematic reviews and meta-analysis published in high medical journals + wait or look for other researchers (with different data sets) to reproduce the whole research and come up with at least same results.

Fact are Facts, not opinions! An opinion/belief/thought/perceptions can be a 'fact' when they play are the subject study. Not the other way around.

A lot of the more than 20.000 'medical' studies yearly published, are not reproducible and have often weak evidence for anything they may study. Yes, some studies bring about great new findings or add understanding to the already available body of literature. However, most do not come close to this. At most provide extra data sets for further research.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.