Post Reply More Like Skip Beat?
4009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/31/17 , edited 5/31/17
So, I watched the Skip Beat anime and it was amazing. Great characterization, great acting, humor that wasn't just sex jokes. Reminded me of early Takahashi; best anime I've seen in years.

... Well, it's also the first shojo anime I've seen. Ever. I've mostly stick to shonen, with occasional ventures into seinen. Apparently I've been missing out on a lot...

Is there more like it out there? Are there other shows that have the same mixture of likable (and, often, charmingly horrible) characters, great acting, and excellent humor? Or is it as exceptional in its own class as, say, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Cowboy Bebop is in its?

Thanks in advance.

(And apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I'm new here.)
60037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/31/17
Ouran High School Host Club (more funny) and Glass Mask (more serious) are two classic shojo animes that anyone could like.

Also try giving Chihayafuru a shot -- it's extremely well written with wonderful characters who just so happen to be obsessed with a little-known traditional Japanese card game.
98492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/31/17
I really like Chihayafuru, Yona of the Dawn and Otome Yokai Zakuro, so you might want to give one of those a shot.

Skip Beat is really fantastic though, wish they had done more seasons. Been collecting the manga and there is so much great story in there. Watching her grow as an actress and a person is amazing
4009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/31/17 , edited 5/31/17
Thank you both very much!

Yeah, I'm hoping for a second season, too. The character development on the core cast is really interesting. None of them are quite the people they were when we started, and I'd love to see where it concludes.

Any other suggestions?
6831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Pacific North West
Offline
Posted 6/1/17 , edited 6/1/17

Aevylmar wrote:

Thank you both very much!

Yeah, I'm hoping for a second season, too. The character development on the core cast is really interesting. None of them are quite the people they were when we started, and I'd love to see where it concludes.

Any other suggestions?


Have you tried Bakemonogatari? Its actually a large collection of episodes(Bakemonogatai, nekomonogati,ect) but the humor is top notch atleast to me it is. The character development gets better and better as you learn all the characters back stories.

EDIT: Welcome to the CR forums/site
60037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 6/1/17

Aevylmar wrote:

Thank you both very much!

Yeah, I'm hoping for a second season, too. The character development on the core cast is really interesting. None of them are quite the people they were when we started, and I'd love to see where it concludes.

Any other suggestions?


If you've mostly been sticking to action shows, I'll just give you a list of good character-driven ones. Watch the first episode or two of each and see what appeals to you. The main thing to remember about shows like this is that the synopsis can often sound simplistic or boring, but with great writing and characters the show ends up being far better than the average shonen.

Toradora, Usagi Drop, Anohana, Nagi no Asukara, Angel Beats, Kawai Complex, Hanasaku Iroha, Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Kokoro Connect, Golden Time, Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, Shirobako, Your Lie in April, Sound! Euphonium, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Shin Sekai Yori.

Have fun!
4009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 6/2/17 , edited 6/9/17

DevinKuska wrote:

Have you tried Bakemonogatari? Its actually a large collection of episodes(Bakemonogatai, nekomonogati,ect) but the humor is top notch atleast to me it is. The character development gets better and better as you learn all the characters back stories.


I haven't. I've heard it's good, but I don't actually know anything about it. I might want to give it a try, though.


DevinKuska wrote:EDIT: Welcome to the CR forums/site


Thank you!


Sharizukami wrote:

If you've mostly been sticking to action shows, I'll just give you a list of good character-driven ones. Watch the first episode or two of each and see what appeals to you. The main thing to remember about shows like this is that the synopsis can often sound simplistic or boring, but with great writing and characters the show ends up being far better than the average shonen.

Toradora, Usagi Drop, Anohana, Nagi no Asukara, Angel Beats, Kawai Complex, Hanasaku Iroha, Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Kokoro Connect, Golden Time, Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, Shirobako, Your Lie in April, Sound! Euphonium, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Shin Sekai Yori.

Have fun!


I mean, I've mostly been sticking to action shows insofar as stuff like Erased and Death Note count as action shows. Which they sort of do, though not entirely.

Thanks for the list of recommendations! I will!

Edit - I have now discovered I don't like Bakemonogatari, Chihayafuru, Toradora, or Golden Time.
You must be logged in to post.