First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply US may "pull out" on UN Human Rights Council
14424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/6/17
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40173472

Due to a focus by the UN on shitting on Israel, US may be leaving the laughably named Human Rights Council. UN Ambassador Nikki will be addressing them on Tuesday about why they're not passing resolutions on places such as Iran and Venezuela.

It is going to be a very interesting time to be alive.
28398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 6/6/17

gornotck wrote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40173472

Due to a focus by the UN on shitting on Israel, US may be leaving the laughably named Human Rights Council. UN Ambassador Nikki will be addressing them on Tuesday about why they're not passing resolutions on places such as Iran and Venezuela.

It is going to be a very interesting time to be alive.


So why is it laughable tl;dr?
8799 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 6/6/17
For an administration that campaigned on making America great again, they sure are doing everything imaginable to screw it up.
8799 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 6/6/17

MasterBismuth33 wrote:


geauxtigers1989 wrote:

For an administration that campaigned on making America great again, they sure are doing everything imaginable to screw it up.


You are wrong, You just don't understand what he is doing.


I'm not sure if Trump understands what he is doing.
21361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 6/6/17

Ryulightorb wrote:


gornotck wrote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40173472

Due to a focus by the UN on shitting on Israel, US may be leaving the laughably named Human Rights Council. UN Ambassador Nikki will be addressing them on Tuesday about why they're not passing resolutions on places such as Iran and Venezuela.

It is going to be a very interesting time to be alive.


So why is it laughable tl;dr?


Might be related to this:

Saudi Arabia elected to UN women's rights commission

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-un-womens-right-commission-un-watch-middle-east-muslim-driving-clothes-a7698536.html
28398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 6/6/17

Rujikin wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


gornotck wrote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40173472

Due to a focus by the UN on shitting on Israel, US may be leaving the laughably named Human Rights Council. UN Ambassador Nikki will be addressing them on Tuesday about why they're not passing resolutions on places such as Iran and Venezuela.

It is going to be a very interesting time to be alive.


So why is it laughable tl;dr?


Might be related to this:

Saudi Arabia elected to UN women's rights commission

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-un-womens-right-commission-un-watch-middle-east-muslim-driving-clothes-a7698536.html


Oh dear...
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/6/17 , edited 6/6/17
The human rights council has always been laughable. Seeing as it always has been led/made up of countries with the least amount of human rights. Saudi Arabia, India, and so on.
6216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22
Offline
Posted 6/6/17 , edited 6/6/17
I do agree that Israel has been treated poorly, but I am also afraid of the negative consequences of the United States leaving the UN. The United States wouldn't have to pay anymore money to the UN other than what they already owe, but wouldn't widespread international problems be a potential consequence (more international problems than there already are, I mean)? I hope the UN chooses to change its approach on Israel (although there are a lot more problems with the UN than just that).
43122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 6/6/17 , edited 6/6/17

Shipwright wrote:

I do agree that Israel has been treated poorly, but I am also afraid of the negative consequences of the United States leaving the UN. The United States wouldn't have to pay anymore money to the UN other than what they already owe, but wouldn't widespread international problems be a potential consequence (more international problems than there already are, I mean)? I hope the UN chooses to change its approach on Israel (although there are a lot more problems with the UN than just that).


Sorry, but I think that the UN causes more problems than they help solve--or pretend to be interested in solving. The US should have abandoned that particular ship of fools decades ago, and sure as heck shouldn't give them a dime more than we already have! Isolationism might not be the answer, but neither is feeding and financing a world full of people who want to kill us. [Just one example: the tons of foodstuffs shipped by the US to North Korea during their famine of 1994-1998. Doesn't Kim Pooh-Pooh and his fascination with missiles make everyone soooooo happy that we tried to feed North Korea, with whom we were--and remain--technically in a state of war?]

The citizenry of the United States should demand freedom from the oppression of foreign influence and intervention oozing from the UN[!] like raw sewage overflowing from a burst pipe.
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/6/17

Shipwright wrote:

I do agree that Israel has been treated poorly, but I am also afraid of the negative consequences of the United States leaving the UN. The United States wouldn't have to pay anymore money to the UN other than what they already owe, but wouldn't widespread international problems be a potential consequence (more international problems than there already are, I mean)? I hope the UN chooses to change its approach on Israel (although there are a lot more problems with the UN than just that).


We arn't pulling out of the entire UN. We are simply pulling out of the farce that is that Human Rights Council made up and led by countries with the worst human rights.

As for the UN as a whole, we should pull out. We spend the most money into it of any country, and give the most manpower. It was supposed to be a group that was for equality in countries and facilitate talks between other governments, but failed. Now it is almost like it's own government, with a military force.
59372 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
59 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/6/17

moonhawk81 wrote:



Sorry, but I think that the UN causes more problems than they help solve--or pretend to be interested in solving. The US should have abandoned that particular ship of fools decades ago, and sure as heck shouldn't give them a dime more than we already have! Isolationism might not be the answer, but neither is feeding and financing a world full of people who want to kill us. [Just one example: the tons of foodstuffs shipped by the US to North Korea during their famine of 1994-1998. Doesn't Kim Pooh-Pooh and his fascination with missiles make everyone soooooo happy that we tried to feed North Korea, with whom we were--and remain--technically in a state of war?]

The citizenry of the United States should demand freedom from the oppression of foreign influence and intervention oozing from the UN[!] like raw sewage overflowing from a burst pipe.


Funny, we said (and did) the exact same thing prior to WWII. Worked out really well, didn't it? We said "It's their problem, not ours!" - until it became our problem on December 7th, 1941.

I don't have an issue with an 'America First' concept, aside from the current vision being extremely short-sighted and isolationist. That didn't work well for US citizens in the past and I don't see it working well for us in the future.
17117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/17
We should just ditch the UN in general. It's not shit without the United States. And it's been encroaching on our Sovereignty for a long time.
lawdog 
44821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/6/17

geauxtigers1989 wrote:

For an administration that campaigned on making America great again, they sure are doing everything imaginable to screw it up.


That's one of the problems with Liberals: An unwillingness to look beyond the surface, an unwillingness to realize that naming something doesn't make it true.

These are the present members, followed by the year their present membership expires:

Albania 2017
Bangladesh 2017
Belgium 2018
Bolivia (Plurinational State of) 2017
Botswana 2017
Brazil 2019
Burundi 2018
China 2019
Congo 2017
Côte d’Ivoire 2018
Croatia 2019
Cuba 2019
Ecuador 2018
Egypt 2019
El Salvador 2017
Ethiopia 2018
Georgia 2018
Germany 2018
Ghana 2017
Hungary 2019
India 2017
Indonesia 2017
Iraq 2019
Japan 2019
Kenya 2018
Kyrgyzstan 2018
Latvia 2017
Mongolia 2018
Netherlands 2017
Nigeria 2017
Panama 2018
Paraguay 2017
Philippines 2018
Portugal 2017
Qatar 2017
Republic of Korea 2018
Rwanda 2019
Saudi Arabia 2019
Slovenia 2018
South Africa 2019
Switzerland 2018
Togo 2018
Tunisia 2019
United Arab Emirates 2018
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 2019
United States of America 2019
Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of) 2018

Seats on the council are mandated by region. This results in many of the world's worst offenders of human tights regularly serving on this council. The council is and has been an absolute farce for decades.
43122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 6/6/17 , edited 6/6/17

MeanderCat wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:



Sorry, but I think that the UN causes more problems than they help solve--or pretend to be interested in solving. The US should have abandoned that particular ship of fools decades ago, and sure as heck shouldn't give them a dime more than we already have! Isolationism might not be the answer, but neither is feeding and financing a world full of people who want to kill us. [Just one example: the tons of foodstuffs shipped by the US to North Korea during their famine of 1994-1998. Doesn't Kim Pooh-Pooh and his fascination with missiles make everyone soooooo happy that we tried to feed North Korea, with whom we were--and remain--technically in a state of war?]

The citizenry of the United States should demand freedom from the oppression of foreign influence and intervention oozing from the UN[!] like raw sewage overflowing from a burst pipe.


Funny, we said (and did) the exact same thing prior to WWII. Worked out really well, didn't it? We said "It's their problem, not ours!" - until it became our problem on December 7th, 1941.

I don't have an issue with an 'America First' concept, aside from the current vision being extremely short-sighted and isolationist. That didn't work well for US citizens in the past and I don't see it working well for us in the future.


December 7th, 1941. Being prior Navy, I am intimately familiar with that date--the date upon which Japan attacked the US with weapons constructed of steel, the majority of which had been supplied by. . .the US! So you see, a little more isolationism might have actually spared us the surprise attack at Pearl Harbor. But I'm no supporter of isolationism (please re-read my first post). My attitude is simply that you support your allies and don't support your enemies! It's a pretty simple approach, really, but something that the US seems to have trouble understanding. The US allows capitalism to become a political philosophy rather that relegating it to economic policy, and that's our big mistake. By accepting capitalism as political, we allow sales to our own enemies so long as they wear a thin veneer of alliance. How many allies do you really think we have in the Middle East? Yet we keep sending military and financial aid to the very countries that support and supply the terrorists who have attacked us. . .

Again, I repeat: Isolationism might not be the answer, but neither is feeding and financing a world full of people who want to kill us. The US should exit the UN, now.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.