First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Huge portion of U.S. Economy pledges the Paris Agreement despite government withdrawal.
TPmanW 
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/7/17 , edited 6/8/17
I guess everybody was willing to sit on the sidelines while government looked to be dragging its heels. No that it's actually confirmed the US gov't is going nowhere on the issue, people feel the need to act.
It would be a brilliant strategy if it were intentional.
mxdan 
11951 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Online
Posted 6/7/17 , edited 6/8/17
EU will work directly with states and go forward with Paris Agreement plans:

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/eu-ignore-white-house-work-directly-states-paris-agreement/all/
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/7/17 , edited 6/8/17
https://pics.conservativememes.com/trump-pulls-paris-deal-liberals-we-cant-rely-on-the-22129190.png
17505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Verginia
Offline
Posted 6/7/17 , edited 6/8/17
Still waiting for that commitment of $200+ billion per year that europe really wanted.. Anny takers california.... I guess not how about philly...(crickets chirping). Yeah the carbon crap was all volintary, it was the us cash payments that were legally binding. I hate trump expecially for what is going on in the fcc. But this was nothing but a redistribution of wealth scheme like the billions the eu is trying to blackmail briton with over brexit.

I supose someone has to pay for the greek bailout because the Grecian's don't pay taxes lmao.
4516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/8/17

dulun18 wrote:



- spend less -- do you really need new clothes, purse, shoes, etc..so often when the ones you have are still usable ? etc.. i'm still wearing the same t-shirts and shorts that i keep patching up every time there's a hole



i'm sure you will hit a nerve of the climate change extremists for sure

speaking of patching up clothes... I think there's a company that is doing exactly just that
http://www.patagonia.com/home/

conserving energy by making your house more energy efficient is also a good step to take.. but of course it will cost money.. not many people have the money up front or willing to stack on more debts just to be efficient.
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/8/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:



i'm sure you will hit a nerve of the climate change extremists for sure

speaking of patching up clothes... I think there's a company that is doing exactly just that
http://www.patagonia.com/home/

conserving energy by making your house more energy efficient is also a good step to take.. but of course it will cost money.. not many people have the money up front or willing to stack on more debts just to be efficient.


should i use trigger warnings ? ?



anyway, I heard of patagonia. Their products are pricey though. Do it yourself will be cheaper. You can buy those sewing machine for like $50 ? and you can patch up the clothes yourself. I wear T-shirts alot and open it's always the armpit areas. I can save a lot of money patching up usable clothes while also reduce my carbon footprints

speaking of waste

Truck hauling beer tips over on Valley freeway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isntwy6cy3Q
they are throwing them all away ? at least recycle! or give away the cans that are not damaged.

energy efficient is pretty easy to do and not every step will be going out and buy electric cars or installing solar panels etc.. forget all those craps and stay within your budget


the easy things to make your house more energy efficient are (some examples)

1- switching out the lightbulbs (we use only LED bulbs now for the last 2 years or so) ($2-$3 a bulb costco)

2- low flow faucets/showerheads ($5-8 faucet head/showerhed)

3- dual flush toilets ( $15-$20/kit) (they have kit you can buy that turn your existing toilets into dual flush toilets)

4- motion sensor lights ($30-$40 each) (around the house so you don't have to leave them on all night)

5- hanging your clothes in the garage before drying

6- add more insulation to the attic of your house (atti cat blown in insulation is around $32/per bag)

7- sign up for those time of use plan (TOU, EZ-3)

8- solar screen/flims on your windows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiOV-4YrhPg

9- seal up gaps around your house/vents, doors-- eliminating draft

etc..


those are basic things you can do to reduce energy consumption and save money in the process

window tinting is pretty easy-- you can buy a roll from home depot or wal-mart and do it yourself (check youtube)

i used solar screen, they are those screen frames that you put outside of the window to block up to 90% of the sun ray from hitting your windows--- i use 80% on windows with a nice view and 90% on others

eliminating draft and add more insulation is ideal if you live in extreme cold or hot states

so, the simplest thing can make a difference.. If you are still using incandescents bulbs and fear of mercury in CFL lightbulbs.. then LED lightbulbs a better alternative

if you have a lot of people in your house- and have about 30-40 lightbulbs in your house--you can still see the difference by swtiching from incandescents to led (just lightbulbs)

i live in Phoenix Arizona, my house is around 2500 sq ft. the electricity bill for us during the hottest summer months (july and august) is around $164


3277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The margins
Online
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/8/17
We can only do what, as a society, we haven't hypnotized ourselves out of being able to do. And the one thing that would actually do something measurable and worthwhile - a massive transition to nuclear fission power - we are too scared to do. If you talk to actual physicists - i.e., the people actually trying to make solar power cheap - this is what they'll tell you. So yes, I do think that massive tech companies, scientists, and nations would do something stupid; it all depends on what they allow themselves to do. The idea that humans wouldn't take on an extremely stupid solution to our problems overestimates us. And any solution that ignores nuclear is stupid.
18009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/8/17
With Trump pulling the U.S. out of the Paris Accords, and the individual States "keeping the faith", so to speak, this is how we reduce Government i.e. Federal Regulation i.e. wasteful spending.

I don't want the California State Legislature telling me how to live outside of California. I don't want theirs to be the loudest voice in Congress. California needs to worry about California, and let Wisconsin worry about Wisconsin, and let New York worry about New York.

We also don't have to send billions of U.S. Tax Dollars to Europe, who should be self-sustaining like they promised their European Union would be when they forced sovereign nations to forfeit their sovereignty.

Independent tech companies can do as they wish, but U.S. States still serve the People of those States first, and they cannot send money to Europe on their own, they have to have a mandate from The People. Otherwise, they'll find themselves on the receiving end of an armed revolt.
16531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Arizona, US
Offline
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/8/17
More like faith in humanity is at its lowest.
5537 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/9/17

Kira0309 wrote:

Are you kidding me? Giving billions to china won't change anything cause china gonna do what china wants. They don't care about the planet. As for global warming. Its gonna happen no mater how green we are. Happen before even dinosaurs were around. Deal with it!!


This whole it will happen eventually argument needs to go. Humans did it this time, we have a way of minimizing it this time. At this point it is too late to avoid all of the feed back effects, but it's still more economical to hit the breaks than not. Terrorist attacks will also keep on happening no matter what we do, but we are certainly better off doing something.
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/9/17
Ha.Ha somebody please get rid of Brown

4187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/9/17 , edited 6/9/17

dulun18 wrote:


AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:



i'm sure you will hit a nerve of the climate change extremists for sure

speaking of patching up clothes... I think there's a company that is doing exactly just that
http://www.patagonia.com/home/

conserving energy by making your house more energy efficient is also a good step to take.. but of course it will cost money.. not many people have the money up front or willing to stack on more debts just to be efficient.


should i use trigger warnings ? ?



anyway, I heard of patagonia. Their products are pricey though. Do it yourself will be cheaper. You can buy those sewing machine for like $50 ? and you can patch up the clothes yourself. I wear T-shirts alot and open it's always the armpit areas. I can save a lot of money patching up usable clothes while also reduce my carbon footprints

speaking of waste

Truck hauling beer tips over on Valley freeway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isntwy6cy3Q
they are throwing them all away ? at least recycle! or give away the cans that are not damaged.

energy efficient is pretty easy to do and not every step will be going out and buy electric cars or installing solar panels etc.. forget all those craps and stay within your budget


the easy things to make your house more energy efficient are (some examples)

1- switching out the lightbulbs (we use only LED bulbs now for the last 2 years or so) ($2-$3 a bulb costco)

2- low flow faucets/showerheads ($5-8 faucet head/showerhed)

3- dual flush toilets ( $15-$20/kit) (they have kit you can buy that turn your existing toilets into dual flush toilets)

4- motion sensor lights ($30-$40 each) (around the house so you don't have to leave them on all night)

5- hanging your clothes in the garage before drying

6- add more insulation to the attic of your house (atti cat blown in insulation is around $32/per bag)

7- sign up for those time of use plan (TOU, EZ-3)

8- solar screen/flims on your windows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiOV-4YrhPg

9- seal up gaps around your house/vents, doors-- eliminating draft

etc..


those are basic things you can do to reduce energy consumption and save money in the process

window tinting is pretty easy-- you can buy a roll from home depot or wal-mart and do it yourself (check youtube)

i used solar screen, they are those screen frames that you put outside of the window to block up to 90% of the sun ray from hitting your windows--- i use 80% on windows with a nice view and 90% on others

eliminating draft and add more insulation is ideal if you live in extreme cold or hot states

so, the simplest thing can make a difference.. If you are still using incandescents bulbs and fear of mercury in CFL lightbulbs.. then LED lightbulbs a better alternative

if you have a lot of people in your house- and have about 30-40 lightbulbs in your house--you can still see the difference by swtiching from incandescents to led (just lightbulbs)

i live in Phoenix Arizona, my house is around 2500 sq ft. the electricity bill for us during the hottest summer months (july and august) is around $164





Stop being silly, no one who agrees that climate change is real is going to disagree with you on using energy more efficiently. Also I doubt your statistic of them being more likely to pollute. The problem with your suggestion is that electricity, transportation, and industry are the main greenhouse gas emitters. Commercial and residential emissions are a minority in this.

This means advocating for renewable energy as that is a LARGE portion of our greenhouse gas. Cars that are powered by electricity with a all the grids being powered by renewable sources is a good way to reduce CO2.

I agree with you that recycling and less waste is a good thing, which again requires government aide in that. If I am not mistaken, last I checked it was less expensive to buy new material than recycled material (industry) other than things like boxes. That requires government aide in pushing along.
16349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/9/17 , edited 6/9/17
So recycling is really just a bad economic decision and requires government to force people to do it through regulations, taxes, and incentives. That sounds like a bad deal when someone could figure out how to make it economically viable if the government would just butt out.
4187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/9/17 , edited 6/9/17

gornotck wrote:

So recycling is really just a bad economic decision and requires government to force people to do it through regulations, taxes, and incentives. That sounds like a bad deal when someone could figure out how to make it economically viable if the government would just butt out.


The reason it is more expensive to go purchasing recycled material for products is there is no infrastructure to do so in an economically viable way. Even if you have some infrastructure, unless people recycle heavily, you can't rely on sustained manufacturing with those raw material. It is akin to nuclear wastes or for residential comparison; using recyclable bags for grocery shopping. Recycling requires pickup infrastructure and machines to separate, etc. That is why incentives and government aide would be necessary in reducing that cost, then the market could handle it on its own.

You do realize much of the things we do and have are "forced" by government through those same things you stated? In fact a lot of things we have now came from government since it has the capital to. Are you claiming that incentives is a bad way to handle reducing economic costs for those that want to do such a thing? Because that is absurd, since that is the very thing capitalism relies on.
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/9/17 , edited 6/9/17

TarNaru33 wrote:



Stop being silly, no one who agrees that climate change is real is going to disagree with you on using energy more efficiently. Also I doubt your statistic of them being more likely to pollute. The problem with your suggestion is that electricity, transportation, and industry are the main greenhouse gas emitters. Commercial and residential emissions are a minority in this.

This means advocating for renewable energy as that is a LARGE portion of our greenhouse gas. Cars that are powered by electricity with a all the grids being powered by renewable sources is a good way to reduce CO2.

I agree with you that recycling and less waste is a good thing, which again requires government aide in that. If I am not mistaken, last I checked it was less expensive to buy new material than recycled material (industry) other than things like boxes. That requires government aide in pushing along.


stop being silly indeed

personally, i don't really care which side a person is on on global warning (climate change). I think they called it global warming before

the question i would ask any person is -- are you doing your part ?

sure, they can go on yapping on and on about this and that like some experts but not doing anything about it .. while throwing some stats from some articles from some news networks who are known for staging news and providing false information

i hope no one will bring up the "99% of scientists" crap when replying to my posts

as for recycling-- would you rather have recyclables in the ocean or landfill or recycle ?

Consumerism -- do you need new clothes, shoes, purses, etc.. every few weeks-months? or a new phone every year ? especially what you have are still usable-- the only problem is they are not the current trending items :/

so yes, seeing the tech giants yapping about climate change is quite hilarious imo.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.