First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Harvard rescinds 10 Admissions offers for "offensive memes"
Posted 6/8/17

Ryulightorb wrote:
I honestly can highly agree to that i mean i'm against censorship and shit but in this case i think they were well within their rights.


The issue is that Harvard (and almost every university/college in the United States) have stipulations in their acceptance package that outlines morality clauses. This is to make sure that the university isn't subject to someone who goes outside of their expectations of moral conduct and looks bad on them. It's one thing if they're active students already (because students at Ivy League schools like Harvard have a legal department just to handle such things) - but as they were only given acceptance packets at the time and had not paid any tuition/enrollment fees, this legal team isn't accessible to them.

This isn't about "politically correct" as much as it's about "common sense". Insulting rape victims, joking about the Holocaust, and similar "far extreme" things as such are easily against any kind of morality clauses in a company or university. As walker1455 said: Welcome to the real world, kids. Companies do exactly the same thing when you put in your application. HR tends to check the following things:

- Social Media (FB, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat [some will demand access to these things in some way or another]).
- Usernames (posts on forums, posts on news sites, etc)
- Any and all reverse images they can get from any of the above (to try to find more usernames, more profiles, etc).

In this situation, an "insider" ratted out those who were part of the group as well. At the end of the day, as long as there are other people on the group or forum you're posting on that knows about your university acceptance or potential interview/job - there's a chance that it's not as private as you'd think it to be.
6895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Temple of Yaoiism
Offline
Posted 6/8/17

Mishio1 wrote:


Dogempire wrote:

Eh, seems like a dumb reason to deny admission to someone because of things they've said and done privately, but it's their institution and if they want to be snobbish about who they want to admit into the school then let them.


Facebook isn't exactly private.


Meh, my point still stands that people shouldn't be snooping around on people's social media an denying them something based on what they've said on it.

I don't say things on the internet that I wouldn't want future employers seeing, but people should be less nosy about people's personal lives. If people like offensive humor that's none of anybody's business but the people they choose to share it with.

6895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Temple of Yaoiism
Offline
Posted 6/8/17

ninjitsuko wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:
I honestly can highly agree to that i mean i'm against censorship and shit but in this case i think they were well within their rights.


The issue is that Harvard (and almost every university/college in the United States) have stipulations in their acceptance package that outlines morality clauses. This is to make sure that the university isn't subject to someone who goes outside of their expectations of moral conduct and looks bad on them. It's one thing if they're active students already (because students at Ivy League schools like Harvard have a legal department just to handle such things) - but as they were only given acceptance packets at the time and had not paid any tuition/enrollment fees, this legal team isn't accessible to them.

This isn't about "politically correct" as much as it's about "common sense". Insulting rape victims, joking about the Holocaust, and similar "far extreme" things as such are easily against any kind of morality clauses in a company or university. As walker1455 said: Welcome to the real world, kids. Companies do exactly the same thing when you put in your application. HR tends to check the following things:

- Social Media (FB, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat [some will demand access to these things in some way or another]).
- Usernames (posts on forums, posts on news sites, etc)
- Any and all reverse images they can get from any of the above (to try to find more usernames, more profiles, etc).

In this situation, an "insider" ratted out those who were part of the group as well. At the end of the day, as long as there are other people on the group or forum you're posting on that knows about your university acceptance or potential interview/job - there's a chance that it's not as private as you'd think it to be.


Where do they even find usernames? I can see social media and reverse image searches, but it seems hard to track down usernames.
Posted 6/8/17

Dogempire wrote:
Where do they even find usernames? I can see social media and reverse image searches, but it seems hard to track down usernames.


Some companies require you to give a list of common usernames that you use on public forums. For example, I've given "Ninjitsuko" a handful of times as it's one I use on several locations (yes, CR has popped up in said searches). Another common username for me is my real name since it's a unique name. I know I've had to give access to multiple social networks since mine are all locked down like Fort Knox (which mean requesting friend/following to an HR-specific account). Failure to do so is pretty much saying "Nope, don't want this job." in many cases.
48260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/17
Excellent, I suppose at some point in life you have to learn to keep your dumb opinions to yourself. There are real life consequences for all of our actions. I'm sure their mommy and daddy will just pay to send them to some other school, but it might not be Ivy League.
28398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 6/8/17

ninjitsuko wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:
I honestly can highly agree to that i mean i'm against censorship and shit but in this case i think they were well within their rights.


The issue is that Harvard (and almost every university/college in the United States) have stipulations in their acceptance package that outlines morality clauses. This is to make sure that the university isn't subject to someone who goes outside of their expectations of moral conduct and looks bad on them. It's one thing if they're active students already (because students at Ivy League schools like Harvard have a legal department just to handle such things) - but as they were only given acceptance packets at the time and had not paid any tuition/enrollment fees, this legal team isn't accessible to them.

This isn't about "politically correct" as much as it's about "common sense". Insulting rape victims, joking about the Holocaust, and similar "far extreme" things as such are easily against any kind of morality clauses in a company or university. As walker1455 said: Welcome to the real world, kids. Companies do exactly the same thing when you put in your application. HR tends to check the following things:

- Social Media (FB, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat [some will demand access to these things in some way or another]).
- Usernames (posts on forums, posts on news sites, etc)
- Any and all reverse images they can get from any of the above (to try to find more usernames, more profiles, etc).

In this situation, an "insider" ratted out those who were part of the group as well. At the end of the day, as long as there are other people on the group or forum you're posting on that knows about your university acceptance or potential interview/job - there's a chance that it's not as private as you'd think it to be.


Well as I said they were well within their rights and protecting their name so imo it's fine
28398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 6/8/17

ninjitsuko wrote:


Dogempire wrote:
Where do they even find usernames? I can see social media and reverse image searches, but it seems hard to track down usernames.


Some companies require you to give a list of common usernames that you use on public forums. For example, I've given "Ninjitsuko" a handful of times as it's one I use on several locations (yes, CR has popped up in said searches). Another common username for me is my real name since it's a unique name. I know I've had to give access to multiple social networks since mine are all locked down like Fort Knox (which mean requesting friend/following to an HR-specific account). Failure to do so is pretty much saying "Nope, don't want this job." in many cases.


I personally wouldn't want to work for such a company like that I like to have some anominity to post my opinions no matter how accepted or unaccceptec do online
54631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/17
Noticed the Smart one that can easily get in Harvard don't care about it and rather have fun now, later on they get decent job and don't regret it! XD Than their friends get mad at him/her how lucky she/he is to have that brain! heh XD

Wait a min, am I thinking of Good Will Hunting? :p
37615 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/8/17
Not much sympathy from me. If they got into Harvard surely they can go somewhere else. No names were given or public records kept, so this seems like a fitting lesson.

I'm honestly more concerned about how it was structured than the memes used. Specifically forcing people to post offensive memes publicly before you are accepted into a private group. It's very manipulative, not something most people think to do.
25473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 6/8/17
I honestly dont feel bad. They broke one of the unspoken rules of the internet: ALWAYS HIDE YOUR POWER LEVELS

You dont say or do terrible shit with an account thats directly related to you.
21361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17
lawdog 
44821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/10/17
Offensive, with hit or miss humor, childish and immature, but worthy of revocation of admission?

I'm troubled by the article essentially saying that if they were already Harvard students, they'd not have been expelled. The reality is that the internet is forever, however.
317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 6/10/17
From what I've heard offline about this, these people deserved to have their acceptances rescinded. From what I've heard the offenders got the chance to explain why they would post something like what they did, and clearly their explanation wasn't good enough.
Posted 6/10/17

lawdog wrote:
I'm troubled by the article essentially saying that if they were already Harvard students, they'd not have been expelled. The reality is that the internet is forever, however.


Essentially, with Ivy League schools, once you've paid tuition or acceptance dues then you're registered as a student and have access to the student union and/or the legal team setup just for students. While in the admissions stage, you have to play it legit. Clean and vanilla until the first check passes.
4179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 6/11/17 , edited 6/11/17

dragontackle wrote:

I honestly dont feel bad. They broke one of the unspoken rules of the internet: ALWAYS HIDE YOUR POWER LEVELS

You dont say or do terrible shit with an account thats directly related to you.


How about just not saying or doing terrible shit, period? Needless to say which side I am on lol.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.