First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply What is the point of time traveling?
5852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/17
I need someone to convince me that time traveling is worth it.

Past:
So you time travel back to the past, but when you change something in the past, you create a new time line. If you are going back to fix something, there is always an original time line where things didn't work out because of infinite time lines. And of course, fixing every possible mistakes to achieve the best route for yourself seems a bit pointless since you are only branching off to the world line of your choice.

Future:
You arrive at the maximum possible future, you gain all technology ever existed, you become a supreme being that all could achieve once a time machine is built. Sure but there must be something more to it?


So I am wondering if there is a point to time travel
30944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/8/17
"a bit pointless since you are only branching off to the world line of your choice." that makes it no pointless imo
5852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/17

Ryulightorb wrote:

"a bit pointless since you are only branching off to the world line of your choice." that makes it no pointless imo


Right, but if everything is given to us, why should we bother working for it :D?
30944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/8/17

fredreload wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

"a bit pointless since you are only branching off to the world line of your choice." that makes it no pointless imo


Right, but if everything is given to us, why should we bother working for it :D?


for fun? feeling rewarded?
5852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/8/17

Ryulightorb wrote:


fredreload wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

"a bit pointless since you are only branching off to the world line of your choice." that makes it no pointless imo


Right, but if everything is given to us, why should we bother working for it :D?


for fun? feeling rewarded?


Sure but let's look at it from another point. If we have a time machine and we are from the future, should we go back to the past and give people what they need?

And if they are obligated to do so, why are we not getting what we need?
35150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 6/8/17

fredreload wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

"a bit pointless since you are only branching off to the world line of your choice." that makes it no pointless imo


Right, but if everything is given to us, why should we bother working for it :D?

Exactly the point of doing it.
3324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / livin in debauchery
Offline
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/8/17
I'm still not convinced that the humanly constructed concept of time can even be explained as easily as your scenario describes it.

What I'm counter-asking is why limit your thinking to these bullet points alone? This is all still theoretical concept, after all.

EDIT: As is most science, the pursuit of knowledge is already worth it to many.
5852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/8/17

TRKitsune wrote:

I'm still not convinced that the humanly constructed concept of time can even be explained as easily as your scenario describes it.

What I'm counter-asking is why limit your thinking to these bullet points alone? This is all still theoretical concept, after all.

EDIT: As is most science, the pursuit of knowledge is already worth it to many.


Alright, the time traveling might not be completely logical. But don't you agree that someone with the technology should help someone without the technology out? If you discover the secret to immortality, would you share it with everyone else or would you keep it to yourself? I would share it. And let's not think about something too far apart, but us humans and the close aliens


P.S I would share it just so someone could build it for me. I am incompetent like that. But overall I think I'd share
13493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 6/8/17
Let's say a homeless man who became an alcoholic due to finding out he missed his chance of a relationship with the perfect girl for him causes an on the job accident working at a nuclear plant that melts down and irradiates a huge chunk of his country (could be any country). He, one of the few survivors who get a chance to go into the shelter, is given one chance to not face an execution. He can go back in time and change it all. Will he?
5852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/17 , edited 6/8/17

neugenx wrote:

Let's say a homeless man who became an alcoholic due to finding out he missed his chance of a relationship with the perfect girl for him causes an on the job accident working at a nuclear plant that melts down and irradiates a huge chunk of his country (could be any country). He, one of the few survivors who get a chance to go into the shelter, is given one chance to not face an execution. He can go back in time and change it all. Will he?


Yes he will. Then how likely is there a time traveler in the present day?
82489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / PEI, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/8/17
The point of time traveling is to escape from reality?
7268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/8/17
The only point so far is that we can only go forward in time. Going backwards in time is impossible and pointless, unless you can alter the movement of our solar system or gravity. Too bad gravity is a too powerful of a force to control.
5852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 6/8/17

Minsc wrote:

The point of time traveling is to escape from reality?


If you can escape from reality why not? No one is keeping track of the goods and bads you've done in your life and make you pay for it in your next life. But if there really is one i'd be extremely careful about what I do
1515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/8/17
have you been watching Orange?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.