First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
While people are being bombed, stabbed, and run over in the UK the Police are busy monitoring internet speech
23730 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/12/17
To me this is just insane... They are arresting people for doing nothing while they are having mass murdering sprees going on. Do you think its the police's job to monitor online speech or do you think they should stick to actual criminal investigations?



https://www.facebook.com/cheshirepolice/posts/10155546384464015
16849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17
Police should enforce the laws. It isn't, exactly, their fault that the laws are passed by people with more feelings and emotions than reason and common sense.

The people of England should, of course, rise up against the tyranny of their government and get the laws torn down, but within the law until it is changed.
2077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Valhalla
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17
Didn't you get the memo rujikin?Feelings are more important than safety.
16145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/12/17
Well monitoring for potential criminal activity online is sort of an essential part of policework these days. Be it a threat or a video of illegal activity, these channels should be monitored. While you may feel it is overreach to charge someone for "offensive speech", there are still plenty of valid reasons to "monitor internet speech", including helping to fight against terrorism.
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17
such dedication!!

so ..um.. what happened to those attacks then ? the terrorists were known and reported by people who "saw something and said something"

4913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / NYC
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17
Well, I suppose I agree with this post.

Social Media in what is deemed as "first world countries" take up the majority of anyone's life. Depending on the platform, It is somewhat of a public space and so it gathers a lot of people at once, it can persuade, mis-inform, and influence a large crowd at a fast rate.

That ispretty scary; however, this type of policing can cause a great privacy issue, taking over a person's right of speech and honestly (my own idea) a human's right to obtain information.
12018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17
I read "White people are being bombed, stabbed, and run over..." and genuinely feared my safety, but then I realized it was just the English, so who cares.
55357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17
Freedom baby! That what I love about the internet, there nothing they can do about it! As long there isn't online bullying into telling someone to kill themself! That isn't right! :/
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17

Rujikin wrote:
To me this is just insane... They are arresting people for doing nothing while they are having mass murdering sprees going on. Do you think its the police's job to monitor online speech or do you think they should stick to actual criminal investigations?


Having had lived in England for six years, I can tell you that this has been something that isn't new whatsoever. The classification of a "hate crime" is a bit more strict in the United Kingdom (and has been, even before I moved there in 2004). The police are just doing their job in this post, despite whatever you think they should be doing. Though, to be fair, most people who end up being on the receiving end of the "hate crime" reported by an individual will only be slapped with an ASBO unless in extreme, continuous conditions.

Also, they don't monitor social media - they deal with any reports that can be evident of a hate crime. So your comment is a bit odd - this is an actual criminal investigation if someone reports a hate crime and they investigate it (even if/when it's on social media).
6895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Temple of Yaoiism
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17
Prison shouldn't be a thing just because you hurt someone's feelings on the internet.

At most there should be a fine, but I'm pretty sure a prison record would ruin your life because your chances of employment would be pretty fluffed

3128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17

Dogempire wrote:

Prison shouldn't be a thing just because you hurt someone's feelings on the internet.

At most there should be a fine, but I'm pretty sure a prison record would ruin your life because your chances of employment would be pretty fluffed


I'm guessing you didn't read ninjitsuko's post. I've bolded the relevant sentence.


ninjitsuko wrote:

Having had lived in England for six years, I can tell you that this has been something that isn't new whatsoever. The classification of a "hate crime" is a bit more strict in the United Kingdom (and has been, even before I moved there in 2004). The police are just doing their job in this post, despite whatever you think they should be doing. Though, to be fair, most people who end up being on the receiving end of the "hate crime" reported by an individual will only be slapped with an ASBO unless in extreme, continuous conditions.

Also, they don't monitor social media - they deal with any reports that can be evident of a hate crime. So your comment is a bit odd - this is an actual criminal investigation if someone reports a hate crime and they investigate it (even if/when it's on social media).


Anyways, this whole conversation topic comes off as rather alarmist. I mean, it's a message on Facebook or whatever. It's not going to detract from any attempts to deal with terrorism. It's an awfully silly thing to complain about, especially in light of the things ninjitsuko said.
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17

Dogempire wrote:
Prison shouldn't be a thing just because you hurt someone's feelings on the internet.

At most there should be a fine, but I'm pretty sure a prison record would ruin your life because your chances of employment would be pretty fluffed


Like I said, most people who commit a hate crime (online or offline) end up getting off with a warning the first time, or an ASBO (AntiSocial Behavior Order. "Antisocial behavior" is considered any age-inappropriate actions that harm or lack consideration of the well-beings of others). These can often be given with a fine - but it's usually designed to be a slap on the hand to criminalize minor things that wouldn't normally be a criminal offense. Hate crimes are often acts of hostility against sexual orientation, race, religion (or lack of religion), and disabilities.
21973 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/12/17
they have their priorities straight amirite
12658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Online
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/12/17
You should be able to say whatever the fuck you want on line, providing you are not calling for people to take up arms and rise up and kill people based on skin colour or religion(or in general).
Really who gives a fuck if someone is "offended" it's not a crime to offend someone. I mean if your sole purpose of posting is to offend then you're just a troll and a cunt. But i fail to see how it is a "crime" If you have an opinon and someone finds it offensive, well big deal. We cant all agree on everything. Surely it's not a crime to disagree and express your opinion and to get into a debate or an argumnet.
And really at the end of the day, even if you're racist, isn't that your choice? your right?
I dont agree with racisim or on line bullying and what not but even if i were to tell someone on line that i was going to kill them, is that actually a crime?
I guess it's a tough one with grey areas and i think it needs to apply to ALL people. Seems to me that non Muslims are targetd for hate crimes (well white people really) more so than the other way around.
Pretty much if you say something offensive about a Muslim or a black person it's hate crime but not so much if it's aimed at a Christian or a white person.

So lets say a family member of mine was killed buy an Islamic terrorist and i wrote on line "Fuck Muslims" out of grief and rage, that would be a hate crime and i could face jail time?.... i mean really?..

I think police should be monitoring but if it's just people talking shit and trolling on facebook to me that is not a crime. They need to target groups who are preaching hate and calling for violence. Groups who are recruiting and radicalizing people.
Charge them as criminals. Not just people with an opinion or that may be racist or etc

Blair Cottrell here in Australia is a good example. He dose speak out against the dangers of Islam in this country and is an Aussie patroit. He's facing fines or jail time for offending Muslims on line.
Some call him far right or Islamaphobic and a bigot and all of that but he has never called for violence or demonstrated violence or anythin like that.
He is NOT a criminal. Surely he's entitled to his opinions?

It's not too dissimilar to the situation and treatment of Tommy Robiston in the UK. He's gotten fines and served jail time and lost his home for offending Muslims. He has done nothing violent, not calling for violence, no violent threats, he's never said fuck Islam or fuck all Muslims or kill Muslims nothing.

I just wonder to what end these sort of laws will go. And i most definitely feel that police often are targeting and charging the wrong people. Wasting resources.
I do understand that they do want to prevent hate preaching and civil unrest. Like they want to keep control and do not want people causing divide and hate and retailiations and etc but yeah..

Posted 6/11/17 , edited 6/12/17

sundin13 wrote:
While you may feel it is overreach to charge someone for "offensive speech", there are still plenty of valid reasons to "monitor internet speech", including helping to fight against terrorism.


What part of kicking in some grandma's door because she made an angry post about migrants crapping in the street on facebook "helps in the fight against terrorism"?
Especially when every single one of these terrorists have been known to police and intelligence services, yet they only kick in terrorist's doors after people are killed.







First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.