First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply puerto rico votes sunday on whether or not they become a state
48322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/17

AppleFart wrote:

They are bankrupt because of their socialist government. Forget statehood, we should strip territory status from them and let them pay their own bills.


I wouldn't expect you to have researched this but it's essentially American companies (banks) and pharmaceutical companies that stripped the Puerto Rican economy and left it for dead. They're still trying to buy junk bonds there. But whatever, keep blaming socialists (which they aren't) and whatnot.
54821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/17
Huh, didn't know that! I guess we learn something new everyday! :p wow, 51 State... If they do become state, anyone born there can be US President in the future! :p
7 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/10/17
I wont argue with ya, most of the people here want all the good without any actual sacrifice. But thats my opinion. I do believe that its necessary to differentiate our government and the fat cats that spew thwir propaganda to line thwir pockets than to just generalize all of us. This up coming vote has alot of the statehood party's friends earning alot of money that we supposedly dont even have. Btw the debt is ours there is no way the federal gov would pay it even if we were a state. I do hope you are aware weve been under the control of a federal comitee for a while now. All who get paid millions out of our taxes. Not yours
54821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/17
I don't know much about Puerto Rico.. isn't their main language Spanish? Won't that change to English once it become state offically?
7632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/17

JanusCascade wrote:

I don't know much about Puerto Rico.. isn't their main language Spanish? Won't that change to English once it become state offically?


To the best of my knowledge they speak both.
54821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17
I was thinking, what permitted in Puerto Rico that are not allow in USA? Just that once they decided to become state, that mean whatever they had are now outlaw!

Edit:

Was checking it out on website..pretty much same as USA. They even consider Pot as control substance 1 same as USA DEA.
Banned
11283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 6/10/17
Nope, and strip citizenship birthright from them as well.
317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 6/10/17

Shipwright wrote:

What are the biggest pros and cons of them becoming a state? It seems like it would be a bit costly if they become a state. Is there a positive side?


Pro: All Americans should have representation in the US government, and this would give them that representation.
317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 6/10/17 , edited 6/10/17
As a note, I wouldn't expect them to get the congressional vote of statehood for at least four more years. Puerto Rico will likely lean democratic, and so a republican congress wouldn't have any incentive to give them statehood. Same goes for DC.

I say four years because the chance of democrats taking the senate in 2018 is basically zero. The chance in 2020 is much higher.
12994 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 6/10/17
some argue Puerto Rico should instead become independent. reasons include

1. debt is due to its colonial status
2. joining the US as a State won't happen anyway
3. independence was already proven to be not only possible, but desirable (example: Singapore)
4. Puerto Rico would be better able to serve its own people
this is a tl;dr from
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maru-gonzalez/4-reasons-independence-is-the-right-path-for-puerto-rico_b_7907434.html
mxdan 
10928 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 6/10/17
Ok, so, like other users have mentioned essentially, "Puerto Rico’s problems stem from its unique status as a Carribbean emerging market economy that is also a U.S. territory. Puerto’s economy is defined by imbalances. It is a relatively poor island economy but it is subject to U.S. minimum wage laws, meaning that its wages are uncompetitive compared to other carribbean economies such as the Dominican Republic."

Forbes:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanielparishflannery/2015/07/29/how-bad-is-puerto-ricos-economic-crisis/#5e054ba4577e

Secondly what's with the 'you guys love us for our money' hypocrisy? America is in a terrible and increasing debt itself. In fact, a lot of modern economies are, it's part of the changing paradigm. Let's be real though that by no means excuses the size of the imbalance in Puerto Rico. But it also doesn't mean they are in essence that much worse then we are. Accounting for population and size that is. It's like comparing apples to trees. Guess what? By that analogy there are states that we can point to right now that produce almost nothing for the U.S. economy and love that centralized government for the money it brings them.

Ugh, some of you can be so hypocritical with your partisan talking points... >_>
Banned
416 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/11/17 , edited 6/11/17
Typical of liberals to blame capitalism... American companies left PR due to high taxes and restrictions placed on them by the government. Capitalism raised the USA from nothing, to the most powerful country in the world in 200 short years. Something that countries like China and others have been trying to accomplish for thousands. Capitalism is what brought us the innovations that we enjoy today. The fact that people can bash it, after gaining so much around the world is why I must consider liberalism to be a brain disorder instead of an ideology.

4179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 6/11/17 , edited 6/11/17

mxdan wrote:

Ok, so, like other users have mentioned essentially, "Puerto Rico’s problems stem from its unique status as a Carribbean emerging market economy that is also a U.S. territory. Puerto’s economy is defined by imbalances. It is a relatively poor island economy but it is subject to U.S. minimum wage laws, meaning that its wages are uncompetitive compared to other carribbean economies such as the Dominican Republic."

Forbes:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanielparishflannery/2015/07/29/how-bad-is-puerto-ricos-economic-crisis/#5e054ba4577e

Secondly what's with the 'you guys love us for our money' hypocrisy? America is in a terrible and increasing debt itself. In fact, a lot of modern economies are, it's part of the changing paradigm. Let's be real though that by no means excuses the size of the imbalance in Puerto Rico. But it also doesn't mean they are in essence that much worse then we are. Accounting for population and size that is. It's like comparing apples to trees. Guess what? By that analogy there are states that we can point to right now that produce almost nothing for the U.S. economy and love that centralized government for the money it brings them.

Ugh, some of you can be so hypocritical with your partisan talking points... >_>


They ARE hypocritical. The sad and insulting part about it, is they usually don't see it lol.


EDIT: Going by the polls I have been reading, Statehood vote is pretty much a certainty. That was an obvious choice, going independent would be a much more difficult endeavor. Would be akin to Greece leaving the Euro and would hurt Puerto Rico more in the short term and probably won't recover for decades.

Statehood would pretty much absolve a lot of their woes as far as debt as the federal government can pretty much eat the debt easily.
6616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / Pacific North West
Online
Posted 6/11/17 , edited 6/11/17

sinoakayumi wrote:

And this must be one of the Capitalist propaganda which use the tactics of: misattribution, projection, explanation by faulty logic, and the repetition of flawed logic. You should stop repecting your Capitalist fantasy and stop using the Socialists to embody your shameful charcater: you should stop assuming that the invisible hand is need for meritocracy; humans can enforce meritocratic if they work hard enough. Also, the invisible hand of the market cannot magically generate wealth out of nothing. I already clarify the Venezuela issue in the Venezuela Protest topic.


Sorry your spelling errors drove me nuts... also the green is a repetitive statement. I am wondering what you saw as faulty/flawed logic? If we are to discuss things properly we should speak to specific statements and not use blanket statements. My apologies I just find criticism without examples or enforcing your point of view with facts to be short of trolling
10684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 6/11/17
So we're just going to let Mexicans decide if they want to be Americans or something?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.