Canadian woman, now bankrupt, wins engagement ring battle
16325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/16/17 , edited 6/16/17
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40294530

Canadian woman successfully defends against lawsuit brought on by ex-fiancé about an engagement ring valued at some $14,300 dollars, but must pay back about half of a loan by the ex-fiancé for a trip to Mexico she took.

Ultimately it was her avarice that led to the end of the engagement, but the woman's fiancé is stuck as ending the engagement while she ended the relationship.

She is now bankrupt and the ring is in a trust as collateral.
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 6/16/17 , edited 6/16/17
That's a pretty huge mess but honestly, I'm more surprised at wedding rings apparently going for $14 300. Makes me glad I'm not planning on getting married any time soon.
21245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 6/16/17 , edited 6/16/17
That's way too much for a ring.

The guy should get the ring back if she's the one who broke off the engagement.
Guest Pass Litter Moderator
120610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/16/17 , edited 6/16/17

zangeif123 wrote:

That's way too much for a ring.

The guy should get the ring back if she's the one who broke off the engagement.


Did you read the article? It was determined that technically he was the one who broke off the engagement, and that is why she did get to keep the ring.
21245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 6/16/17 , edited 6/16/17

lorreen wrote:


zangeif123 wrote:

That's way too much for a ring.

The guy should get the ring back if she's the one who broke off the engagement.


Did you read the article? It was determined that technically he was the one who broke off the engagement, and that is why she did get to keep the ring.


My bad. I was just going off the OPs info and made up my own little story.
36634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 6/17/17 , edited 6/17/17
nice
16325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/17/17 , edited 6/17/17

zangeif123 wrote:


lorreen wrote:


zangeif123 wrote:

That's way too much for a ring.

The guy should get the ring back if she's the one who broke off the engagement.


Did you read the article? It was determined that technically he was the one who broke off the engagement, and that is why she did get to keep the ring.


My bad. I was just going off the OPs info and made up my own little story.


It is a fair point of view, really. I think he should have lost the ring regardless just because he never noticed that she was avarice inclined and then spent 14000 on the engagement ring, but people would be pretty split otherwise on who gets what.
1746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 6/17/17 , edited 6/17/17
I think that whoever bought the ring should keep it. I believe in receipts.
47839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 6/17/17 , edited 6/17/17

Cardamom_Ginger wrote:

I think that whoever bought the ring should keep it. I believe in receipts.


someone told me recently that if you return a ring, you may not get back full price bc prices fluctuate constantly on them. like, the worth of the diamonds change or something

You must be logged in to post.