First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Would you become a panhandler by choice ?
Posted 6/16/17
114482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
69 / M / Columbia, MO
Offline
Posted 6/16/17
No way. It's easier to hide nearby in the hills.....use a silencer...........or not
mxdan 
11120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 6/16/17 , edited 6/16/17

serifsansserif wrote:
Same with 99% of Kickstarter and Indiegogo etc. projects. It's all begging).


Aren't Kickstarter projects an event with a goal and outcome in mind to raise funds? Just like a carwash? I know it's not that intrinsic to what you were saying but these sites are essentially the charity events to raise money for some sort of project. Begging on the street is getting something without giving.

With that said I sort of live by a philosophy, if I have a couple dollars to give while I see the occasional homeless person then why not. A lot of you seem to live under the pretense that you need proof to give or your being taken advantage of. Some will call me naive but I look at it under the assumption that the intention is good because I don't need to know whether or not they use that money for good things. As long as I think they are and I'm not seriously damaging my wallet through random acts of kindness it makes me feel good about myself. So I'm gonna keep doing it.


cdarklock wrote:
So hey! Why not actively try to fuck up what tiny little remnant of a life they have? I mean, they hurt your feelings. With your business and your job and shit. They should die like a dog in the street.


You seem to overvalue a persons worth on the amount of currency they have accumulated. One of my best friends was once homeless and made every excuse in the book for himself (And was full of assholery in the street). Now he works fulltime, volunteers when he has time, and picks up trash around the city when he can because he changed his outlook.

You have no idea what circumstances people have to land where they land and welcoming someones death just because they hurt your feelings is far colder then denying someone's kindness because they have philological hang ups.
20726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 6/16/17 , edited 6/16/17

ad_arbitrium wrote:

guess what? I didn't die.


And yet, thousands of people do.

Making life harder for a desperate person because they offended you is bullshit.

That business printed a sign to display next to a beggar and tell people not to give him money, because he wouldn't work for them.

I mean, I don't know the whole story, but it sure looks to me like maybe that business is run by a bunch of fucking pricks.


mxdan wrote:

You seem to overvalue a persons worth on the amount of currency they have accumulated.


No, I'm overtly ridiculing someone else for that attitude. It's called "sarcasm," you may have heard of it.
34021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 6/16/17
doubt it
1159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 6/16/17 , edited 6/16/17
^^^ I don't disagree, but I also don't care. If he's been begging on that corner long enough for all that to go down, there's more to the story. For someone with a shaky background, getting a job is notoriously difficult, so fuck him anyway for turning away their offer, the freeloading sack of shit
mxdan 
11120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 6/16/17 , edited 6/16/17

cdarklock wrote:

No, I'm overtly ridiculing someone else for that attitude. It's called "sarcasm," you may have heard of it.


Forgive me for not seeing the humor there. Sarcasm is tough on the internet my dude! Especially on these boards where people actually think like that... Annnd definitely given the fact that I'm half awake on 4 hours of sleep and a 14 hour shift.

>_>
9755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 6/17/17 , edited 6/17/17

mxdan wrote:

Aren't Kickstarter projects an event with a goal and outcome in mind to raise funds? Just like a carwash? I know it's not that intrinsic to what you were saying but these sites are essentially the charity events to raise money for some sort of project. Begging on the street is getting something without giving.


THEORETICALLY, yes. and if it worked out that way it would be great...

Here's the thing. Kickstarter and Indiegogo are THEORETICALLY places to get funding for a business idea. There are THEORETICALLY things you get for helping them start their business.

but theory falls apart. I've seen people try to raise money on there for some of the stupidest shit.

Aaaaaaand, those aren't charities. Those are SUPPOSED to be legit business ideas...

And I'm not against giving away a little to charities when I feel like it, but it's constant in some cases, even with the same damned charity. I mean I STILL have no clue why some "firefighters association" decides to harass me on the god damned phone 4 weeks in a row, while my local fire department's only participation in town events for fundraising is to stand in the roads once a year and panhandle (and I've set up and run god damned tables and charitable activities at events).

And it's like buying girl scout cookies. You're paying like $5 a box for cookies, but the goal is to have children learn entrepreneurship (or some other bullshit) and raise money. Absolutely nothing wrong with that shit. Nobody thinks ill of the girl scouts.

It's about a modicum of effort. and what's horrible about these charities is they don't teach anyone to put in a little effort.

And it's the social movements. Big fucking talk behind a god damned monitor. OOOOOOhhh.. you went to a march.. So edgy.. It's like the world is just allergic to the idea that some things take a modicum of actual work.


With that said I sort of live by a philosophy, if I have a couple dollars to give while I see the occasional homeless person then why not. A lot of you seem to live under the pretense that you need proof to give or your being taken advantage of. Some will call me naive but I look at it under the assumption that the intention is good because I don't need to know whether or not they use that money for good things. As long as I think they are and I'm not seriously damaging my wallet through random acts of kindness it makes me feel good about myself. So I'm gonna keep doing it.



At the end of the day, I live by this too. It just gets harder to give when more people ask for my dollar.
20726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 6/17/17 , edited 6/17/17

mxdan wrote:

Forgive me for not seeing the humor there. Sarcasm is tough on the internet my dude!


True, but I usually find it's because people aren't paying attention. Which, obviously, is a thing that happens when someone is tired and stressed.

I don't generally hold it against anyone if they have an occasional lapse in attention span. It's the repeated ones that annoy me. You never know what someone's situation really is.

Like when you go back to the OP on this thread, I have trouble seeing that sign as anything other than "This guy is doing a thing, and we are going to ruin it because we asked him to do a different thing but he said no."

Like, when you're building a sand castle on the beach. Then someone comes up and says 'Wanna play catch?" but you say "no, building this sand castle" so they kick it down. It's just needlessly mean, and it amazes me that this type of shit goes on in the adult world. Grade school, yeah, I can see it. But once you're past sixth grade, this should not be the way anyone thinks.


serifsansserif wrote:

Here's the thing. Kickstarter and Indiegogo are THEORETICALLY places to get funding for a business idea.


This was a gap in the service industry, which has since been filled by GoFundMe and Patreon. Neither of those actually requires you to deliver anything. I have someone paying me $5 a month on Patreon for a campaign that is literally "I'm awesome. You should pay me for being awesome." I should really promote that campaign more, just to see if I can make it into a living wage and tell people my job is "being awesome." I mean, that's pretty much always been true, but it would be funnier if it was overt.

26124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 6/17/17
No, that requires being outside.
21398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Leanbox, Gameindu...
Offline
Posted 6/17/17
Nope
1652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 6/17/17
In a parallel world, my brother decided to see what panhandling is like (He looks the part, he is a loser neet hikikomori who claims he is being haunted by Satan every night and who no girl could possibly ever find attracive if she saw the real him.) and made a bit off of it.
The reason why I say "in a parallel world" is because I have cases where I know something happened, but nobody else has memories of it. He did it, but he says he didn't, so it is part of my nonsensical life.
Banned
21667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 6/17/17

k0k0r0k0r0 wrote:

In a parallel world, my brother decided to see what panhandling is like (He looks the part, he is a loser neet hikikomori who claims he is being haunted by Satan every night and who no girl could possibly ever find attracive if she saw the real him.) and made a bit off of it.
The reason why I say "in a parallel world" is because I have cases where I know something happened, but nobody else has memories of it. He did it, but he says he didn't, so it is part of my nonsensical life.


The mind can do some insanely realistic simulations. Should be more interested if you start seeing parts of the future as they unfold.
4308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/18/17
No.
1652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 6/18/17

Rujikin wrote:


k0k0r0k0r0 wrote:

In a parallel world, my brother decided to see what panhandling is like (He looks the part, he is a loser neet hikikomori who claims he is being haunted by Satan every night and who no girl could possibly ever find attracive if she saw the real him.) and made a bit off of it.
The reason why I say "in a parallel world" is because I have cases where I know something happened, but nobody else has memories of it. He did it, but he says he didn't, so it is part of my nonsensical life.


The mind can do some insanely realistic simulations. Should be more interested if you start seeing parts of the future as they unfold.


I used to be able to predict the future in books, tv shows, and movies, but it just doesn't happen as often. What I mean by that is predicting like the final battle or a sudden event, not something the average person would predict. That count?

And no, it was daytime when this happened. I wasn't asleep, and it was a day when my good for nothing brother had come to visit.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.