First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply californias mountains covered in more snow than usual
21793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 6/19/17
http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/it%e2%80%99s-june-california-is-still-covered-in-snow/ar-BBCMjdH?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCDHP
After years of wallowing in drought, this winter walloped California’s Sierra Nevada mountains in a major, record-setting way. And while the calendar says summer, winter still has its grips on the granite spine of the Sierras
NASA Earth Observatory released satellite imagery on Thursday that shows what a difference a year makes. Snowpack is at 170 percent of normal when averaged across the state and some areas are reporting way higher totals than that, according to the California Department of Water Resources. Alpine Meadows, located just west of Lake Tahoe, reported 288 inches of snow on the ground (no, that’s not a typo) as of early June. Deep green hues of healthy vegetation also extend down the Sierra Nevada western slope, another benefit of all that precipitation
Beyond making skiers happy, the massive amounts of snow at high elevations and rain at low elevations helped fill reservoirs that were dangerously low. In the case of the Oroville Reservoir, all the rain ended up being too much of a good thing and caused a cascade of events that nearly caused the dam holding waters back to collapse



interesting,

they better stock up on that water now lol
21553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 6/19/17
El Nino and LA Nina the two weather events that control most of the pacific. It switched like a year ago.

Last I heard California's dams were busting because no one repaired them when the water levels were low and they got tons of snow and rain recently. If they get even more snow melt California might become part of the pacific lol.
2196 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The margins
Offline
Posted 6/19/17
My understanding is that the California government put too much effort into environmental regulation involving water use - and ignored or actively halted improvement of their water collection and retention methods. Over here in the Middle East, where water is just as scarce, I was amused to discover that people make fun of California for being so stupid.
21793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 6/19/17

auroraloose wrote:

My understanding is that the California government put too much effort into environmental regulation involving water use - and ignored or actively halted improvement of their water collection and retention methods. Over here in the Middle East, where water is just as scarce, I was amused to discover that people make fun of California for being so stupid.


well, I mean
its California lol

its the hub of stupidity in the USA ,


not to mention the pedophilia in holly wood
83698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M
Offline
Posted 6/19/17

Rujikin wrote:

El Nino and LA Nina the two weather events that control most of the pacific. It switched like a year ago.

Last I heard California's dams were busting because no one repaired them when the water levels were low and they got tons of snow and rain recently. If they get even more snow melt California might become part of the pacific lol.


Well they couldn't spend money on fixing the dams and building more water storage, they had to spend that money on a medium speed train from nowhere to nowhere. Priorities, man.
Posted 6/19/17

redokami wrote:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/it%e2%80%99s-june-california-is-still-covered-in-snow/ar-BBCMjdH?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCDHP
After years of wallowing in drought, this winter walloped California’s Sierra Nevada mountains in a major, record-setting way. And while the calendar says summer, winter still has its grips on the granite spine of the Sierras
NASA Earth Observatory released satellite imagery on Thursday that shows what a difference a year makes. Snowpack is at 170 percent of normal when averaged across the state and some areas are reporting way higher totals than that, according to the California Department of Water Resources. Alpine Meadows, located just west of Lake Tahoe, reported 288 inches of snow on the ground (no, that’s not a typo) as of early June. Deep green hues of healthy vegetation also extend down the Sierra Nevada western slope, another benefit of all that precipitation
Beyond making skiers happy, the massive amounts of snow at high elevations and rain at low elevations helped fill reservoirs that were dangerously low. In the case of the Oroville Reservoir, all the rain ended up being too much of a good thing and caused a cascade of events that nearly caused the dam holding waters back to collapse



interesting,

they better stock up on that water now lol


> > You just had to remind me we are still in drought in California grrr and we happen to have a really lame Gov. Brown
whom i wish was out of office
642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Lost.
Offline
Posted 6/19/17
They'll need that water for fire season.
26060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 6/19/17
Can I go? I haven't seen much snow since early 2011. =(
35657 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/19/17

redokami wrote:
well, I mean
its California lol

its the hub of stupidity in the USA ,

not to mention the pedophilia in holly wood


<adjusts glasses and engages nerd voice>

West Virginia is actually the hub of stupidity in the USA. California ranks 21st on the list of largest stupidity hubs.

Alaska is the most molesty. California is not even in the top 10.

Bonus Fun Fact:
California state prisons are the most dangerous prisons in the country for child abusers. The rate at which child abusers get murdered by other inmates in California state prison is double the national average.




83698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M
Offline
Posted 6/19/17

runec wrote:

West Virginia is actually the hub of stupidity in the USA. California ranks 21st on the list of largest stupidity hubs.



There is actually a ranking of "stupidity hubs"? Who compiles this list and how is it determined? Is this just a list of states with the worst schools (or states with the lowest graduation numbers)?
3668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 6/19/17
Only California can have a massive heat wave and too much snow at the same time
35657 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/19/17

ishe5555 wrote:
There is actually a ranking of "stupidity hubs"? Who compiles this list and how is it determined? Is this just a list of states with the worst schools (or states with the lowest graduation numbers)?


Well, they don't use the technical and highly accurate terminology of "stupidity hub" but:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2017/02/03/the-most-and-least-educated-states-in-the-u-s-in-2017/#485a699771be
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-educated-states/31075/
21793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 6/19/17

runec wrote:


redokami wrote:
well, I mean
its California lol

its the hub of stupidity in the USA ,

not to mention the pedophilia in holly wood


<adjusts glasses and engages nerd voice>

West Virginia is actually the hub of stupidity in the USA. California ranks 21st on the list of largest stupidity hubs.

Alaska is the most molesty. California is not even in the top 10.

Bonus Fun Fact:
California state prisons are the most dangerous prisons in the country for child abusers. The rate at which child abusers get murdered by other inmates in California state prison is double the national average.






west va? lol


as for the other, does hollywoods seceret pedohile epidemic not count?
83698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M
Offline
Posted 6/19/17

FruitPunchSamurai987 wrote:

Only California can have a massive heat wave and too much snow at the same time


Well, California is a big place, larger than a number of European countries. There is a lot of land in California and a lot of variation in height and latitude.


runec wrote:

Well, they don't use the technical and highly accurate terminology of "stupidity hub" but:



Lol, I figured you must have had some sort of interpretation in mind for "stupidity hub". You number of 21st was just too specific.
Banned
21752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 6/19/17
West Virginia is the Somalia of the United States
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.