First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Gintama worth getting into ?
2255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/24/17
I like samurai stuff and I've heard of Gintama but it's pretty long

180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 6/24/17
It's really a comedy anime. There is a fair amount of action and samurai-stuff but it focuses mostly on the funny. So whether or not it is worth getting into depends on your sense of humor. I enjoyed it enough to watch every episode but I've met people who don't think it is funny at all, so...
22232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 6/24/17
The funniest is pretty great, but once you get into the consistent serious arcs, especially after the Shinsengumi Crisis and past Housen, it is kind of a drag for me. Those dramatic arcs aren't bad, and are rather well written for a shonen, especially in comparison to a great deal of others. I rather prefer things like the Dog Amanto, which mixed comedy and drama well. Well, for Gintama, the comedy and drama rarely clash, but having comedy take a backseat is something that you should be prepared for.
33092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / Side 6
Offline
Posted 6/24/17
Yes, because it's more than just references to historical samurai (and Gundam). Instead of the Black Ships there are the Amanto. Several of the main characters are dedicated sadists. It has an alien combat girl and a hot android maid. It has Elizabeth, Umibouzu, testicle jokes, space pirates, MADAO, ninja courtesans, the shogun in his underwear and so much more.
2255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/17

sena3927 wrote:

Yes, because it's more than just references to historical samurai (and Gundam). Instead of the Black Ships there are the Amanto. Several of the main characters are dedicated sadists. It has an alien combat girl and a hot android maid. It has Elizabeth, Umibouzu, testicle jokes, space pirates, MADAO, ninja courtesans, the shogun in his underwear and so much more.


it's hard to believe that they can keep a comedy series going this long . I guess it has a good story ?
33092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / Side 6
Offline
Posted 6/26/17
It's more of a character-driven series. There are several excellent story arcs, which are more or less self-contained, otherwise it's episodic. I'd say watch the first 6 to 8 episodes to see if you like it.
20526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 6/26/17 , edited 6/26/17
It takes about 25 episodes to really get going. Not that the first season is bad but they introduce a lot of characters and some ongoing jokes. It's just world building.

But once it get going it's like a snowball of comedy that just gets bigger and better. Not only comedy but they do a great job in mixing in action and even several emotional episodes that have you holding back tears. The show does a lot of things that you've never seen an anime do. And it constantly breaks the 4th wall.
28279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Detroit, MI, USA
Offline
Posted 7/4/17
I wonder the same thing as you, Dulun18. I've seen 21 episodes so far and forced myself to watch that many. Many of the jokes seem to be based on Japanese history or Japanese celebrities, of which I know nothing about.

I've given up trying to watch Gintama. There's other comedy anime out there to make us laugh.
2718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/4/17 , edited 7/4/17

dulun18 wrote:


sena3927 wrote:

Yes, because it's more than just references to historical samurai (and Gundam). Instead of the Black Ships there are the Amanto. Several of the main characters are dedicated sadists. It has an alien combat girl and a hot android maid. It has Elizabeth, Umibouzu, testicle jokes, space pirates, MADAO, ninja courtesans, the shogun in his underwear and so much more.


it's hard to believe that they can keep a comedy series going this long . I guess it has a good story ?


There is an overarching story and mystery surrounding the main character's past that is hinted at during the first 2 seasons but will be fleshed out more in season 3 and especially season 4. Overall, it's more than just comedy. There are some pretty serious arcs which can get emotional and heart breaking to watch. I usually enjoy serious arcs more but I did enjoy the comedy as well, not always, but most of the time I guess. It's a bit too crude for my taste but it can be so ridiculous that you can't help but laugh.
2255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/4/17 , edited 7/5/17

montazmeahii wrote:

I wonder the same thing as you, Dulun18. I've seen 21 episodes so far and forced myself to watch that many. Many of the jokes seem to be based on Japanese history or Japanese celebrities, of which I know nothing about.

I've given up trying to watch Gintama. There's other comedy anime out there to make us laugh.


21 episodes? that's almost the whole 24-26 episode series. They didn't leave any reference on top of the video so new viewers will also understand what the jokes are about ?



adrianc0 wrote:



There is an overarching story and mystery surrounding the main character's past that is hinted at during the first 2 seasons but will be fleshed out more in season 3 and especially season 4. Overall, it's more than just comedy. There are some pretty serious arcs which can get emotional and heart breaking to watch. I usually enjoy serious arcs more but I did enjoy the comedy as well, not always, but most of the time I guess. It's a bit too crude for my taste but it can be so ridiculous that you can't help but laugh.


I'll watch a few episodes then. I think i have to check wiki so i know which is the first season of this series.
8005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/6/17 , edited 7/6/17

Speaking as a certified MADAO, it is my favorite anime. #2 would be Naruto, which I have yet to watch the last years worth of episodes; got tire of the pod people.
393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / England, Norfolk,...
Offline
Posted 7/6/17
From what Iv'e seen (43 episodes into the first season) absolutely. So far, every single episode has made me laugh masively, the character are nothing short of lovable, yet in between the insane comedic nature of it's normal episodes, it still manages to sneak in a few episodes which include either heart-touching, emotional moments, or actual interesting character development, and it takes the piss out of other shows too, which is always a plus.
33092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / Side 6
Offline
Posted 7/6/17 , edited 7/6/17
A few more good reasons...

Tommy Heavenly6 - Pray
Amplify - Mr. Raindrop
DOES - Shura
DOES - Donten
Negoto - Destiny
Kuroneko Chelsea - Anagura
Prague - Light Infection
Serial TV Drama - Tougenkyou Alien
Shigi - Kagayaita
2255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/14/17
I saw 4 episodes of Gintama. It's not what i thought it was it's not one of those samurai series that is for sure..
3704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/21/17
this series is not for everyone... i would watch 1-2 episode a day when you are bored.. maybe it will pick up...
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.