First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Traveling outside of the country..
2443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/15/17

ninjitsuko wrote:



If you travel for business, yes.
You can deduct the amount of the passport based on the frequency of personal to business travel. So for example, if you fly 80% of the time for business and 20% of the time for personal - you can deduct 80% of the cost of your passport fees. You would have to add it to Form 2106 and then cover the expenses on Form 1040 as part of your Schedule C attachment (if I recall, this should be part of Line 24a). I've done this a few times for some of my clients.



What he says is true. You can generally get expedited through customs and security pretty quick with a Global Entry pass. Not immediate for customs, of course, but it's a fair bit faster than waiting for every other traveler that landed at the same time as you.


I guess i can't deduct the cost of these travel documents then... I'm not required to travel outside of the country for work.



Bowie-Sensei wrote:


Yes and no. How the system works is that instead of filling out a customs form you scan your passport and take a picture with the machine, than you answer the same questions as you would with the form, then you get a print out. You then still have to go to the customs booth but instead of getting your passport stamped they stamp the print out.

This system actually has actually been making it take longer and longer to get through customs. At first it was if you traveled in the past 6 months. Then it was all flights. But this time it took two and a half hours for my flight to get through customs because of people not understanding how to follow basic prompts on a screen, people not understanding how queues works, and the fact that they only had two people working customs.


@ninjitstuko didn't you say something about not having enough space with your passport ? so isn't global entry more ideal for you ?

btw, guys

How long will it take to enroll ? from filling out the application online to being in the system for global entry ? Do we get some sort of ID for something ?
13751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/17

dulun18 wrote:




How long will it take to enroll ? from filling out the application online to being in the system for global entry ? Do we get some sort of ID for something ?

There is no ID, like for Pre check. They put you in the system and you're able to use the special machines.
2443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/15/17

Bowie-Sensei wrote:


dulun18 wrote:

How long will it take to enroll ? from filling out the application online to being in the system for global entry ? Do we get some sort of ID for something ?

There is no ID, like for Pre check. They put you in the system and you're able to use the special machines.


there's a wait period right? how long will it take before I'm registered with the system and being able to use the kiosks?
Posted 7/15/17

dulun18 wrote:
@ninjitstuko didn't you say something about having having enough space with your passport ? so isn't global entry more ideal for you ?

btw, guys

How long will it take to enroll ? from filling out the application online to being in the system for global entry ? Do we get some sort of ID for something ?


Yeah, but we've discussed this a few pages ago. The airports I've been to have still stamped my passport even when I've had global entry. The kiosks have been something I've dealt with often. Probably will have more information on this in a month or so when I get back from India.

As for processing time, you should get your conditional letter of approval within a week or two. You'll be given a time to go to your interview. If you get accepted, you get a stamp in your passport and you should be able to use the TSA-PreCheck and Global Entry systems within three days (PreCheck worked same-day as approval for me, but it was a domestic flight).
2443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/15/17 , edited 7/15/17

ninjitsuko wrote:

Yeah, but we've discussed this a few pages ago. The airports I've been to have still stamped my passport even when I've had global entry. The kiosks have been something I've dealt with often. Probably will have more information on this in a month or so when I get back from India.

As for processing time, you should get your conditional letter of approval within a week or two. You'll be given a time to go to your interview. If you get accepted, you get a stamp in your passport and you should be able to use the TSA-PreCheck and Global Entry systems within three days (PreCheck worked same-day as approval for me, but it was a domestic flight).


I see. It's quicker than applying for passports and visas.

I'll enroll when we got our passports back from the consulate.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/how-apply

I don't think there are any new regulations regarding travel to Asia region right ?
13751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/15/17

dulun18 wrote:


ninjitsuko wrote:

Yeah, but we've discussed this a few pages ago. The airports I've been to have still stamped my passport even when I've had global entry. The kiosks have been something I've dealt with often. Probably will have more information on this in a month or so when I get back from India.

As for processing time, you should get your conditional letter of approval within a week or two. You'll be given a time to go to your interview. If you get accepted, you get a stamp in your passport and you should be able to use the TSA-PreCheck and Global Entry systems within three days (PreCheck worked same-day as approval for me, but it was a domestic flight).


I see. It's quicker than applying for passports and visas.

I'll enroll when we got our passports back from the consulate.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/how-apply

I don't think there are any new regulations regarding travel to Asia region right ?


Depends on which part of Asia you're referring to. The far east, no.
2443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/15/17

Bowie-Sensei wrote:



Depends on which part of Asia you're referring to. The far east, no.


Yeah. South East Asia is my usual place to travel.
3834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/20/17
are you sure Global entry is worth it ? if you only travel outside of the country for like 2-3x within 5 year period? You will have to wait for the planes after getting through checkpoints anyway

Posted 7/18/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

are you sure Global entry is worth it ? if you only travel outside of the country for like 2-3x withing 5 year period? You will have to wait for the planes after getting through checkpoints anyway



Depends on how you look at it.
Would you rather be standing and dealing with the masses for 30-60 (or longer) minutes when you've just been on a plane for 15+ hours? It depends on the airport you connect back into the US on, the time that you're flying in (because in larger airports you're faced with 4-5+ flights trying to get through customs at the same time), and you're basically only spending $15-20 more than if you just got TSA PreCheck.

Global entry helps you get through most of the nonsense of coming back into the US or arriving in certain countries. Nothing's more awkward than getting deported from a country just because your company only booked a one-way flight and didn't give you the details of your hotel accommodations before you get to the immigrations agent (been there, did that.. wasn't fun). Plus, it's just a convenience no matter how you look at it. I think it's mostly the idea that TSA PreCheck makes life easier.
3834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/17

ninjitsuko wrote:


AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

are you sure Global entry is worth it ? if you only travel outside of the country for like 2-3x withing 5 year period? You will have to wait for the planes after getting through checkpoints anyway



Depends on how you look at it.
Would you rather be standing and dealing with the masses for 30-60 (or longer) minutes when you've just been on a plane for 15+ hours? It depends on the airport you connect back into the US on, the time that you're flying in (because in larger airports you're faced with 4-5+ flights trying to get through customs at the same time), and you're basically only spending $15-20 more than if you just got TSA PreCheck.

Global entry helps you get through most of the nonsense of coming back into the US or arriving in certain countries. Nothing's more awkward than getting deported from a country just because your company only booked a one-way flight and didn't give you the details of your hotel accommodations before you get to the immigration agent (been there, did that.. wasn't fun). Plus, it's just a convenience no matter how you look at it. I think it's mostly the idea that TSA PreCheck makes life easier.



Honestly ninjitsuko, i rarely stand when waiting in line. I'll sit on my carry on and doing something while waiting in line. Dulun18 doesn't have TSA PreCheck so you are asking $100/person not $15 more.

You are right though, it's worth it for those who are too tired and just want to shorten the wait time. I just don't see it's worth $100/person unless you are a frequent traveler + know how to use those systems.

It's like those self checkouts, just hope you don't stuck behind people who have no clue what they are doing I think they have plenty of kiosks for global entry so i hope you don't have to deal with it.
Posted 7/20/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:
Honestly ninjitsuko, i rarely stand when waiting in line. I'll sit on my carry on and doing something while waiting in line. Dulun18 doesn't have TSA PreCheck so you are asking $100/person not $15 more.


You're right. I was more so indicating that if he was contemplating getting TSA-Pre that he may as well just spend the extra $15 for Global Entry. I also agree that it's more beneficial to those who travel frequently enough to feel the "wear and tear" of back and forth travel. Not everyone is in the same boat as I am (whereas it's common for me to be traveling Internationally about 12-15 times a year and domestically... well, I lost count after February already).

It boils down to "individual use may vary" based on what kind of travel you do or expect to do within five years.
3834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/20/17

ninjitsuko wrote:


AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:
Honestly ninjitsuko, i rarely stand when waiting in line. I'll sit on my carry on and doing something while waiting in line. Dulun18 doesn't have TSA PreCheck so you are asking $100/person not $15 more.


You're right. I was more so indicating that if he was contemplating getting TSA-Pre that he may as well just spend the extra $15 for Global Entry. I also agree that it's more beneficial to those who travel frequently enough to feel the "wear and tear" of back and forth travel. Not everyone is in the same boat as I am (whereas it's common for me to be traveling Internationally about 12-15 times a year and domestically... well, I lost count after February already).

It boils down to "individual use may vary" based on what kind of travel you do or expect to do within five years.


12-15x a year? You are like the guy from "up in the air" movie then. Most of us don't travel that many times in a year. I'm curious what's the level of radiation you are dealing with for someone who is traveling so frequent like you ?

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/air_travel.html

Radiation from Air Travel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzqsnxZBLNE


I saw this last night. I didn't think people would want to travel to this oven of a state i think they stay mostly in the flagstaff or grand canyon areas

Why are more people more than ever coming to Arizona?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxncABKd-kI
Posted 7/20/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:
12-15x a year? You are like the guy from "up in the air" movie then. Most of us don't travel that many times in a year. I'm curious what's the level of radiation you are dealing with for someone who is traveling so frequent like you ?


I know some of those in similar positions as I am who travel twice as much. They don't even have a home of their own (they just stay in a hotel near the office and travel at a moment's whim). I used to be the same kind of guy until I got into a relationship again. Then, well, the rest was history.

I couldn't tell you why more people are going to Arizona. There's a conversation that dulun18 and I were having in the WiFi thread about me going to Arizona every so often to hang out with a friend of mine. I don't mind going there once in a blue moon but not one of those situations where I'd live there.
3834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/21/17

ninjitsuko wrote:

I know some of those in similar positions as I am who travel twice as much. They don't even have a home of their own (they just stay in a hotel near the office and travel at a moment's whim). I used to be the same kind of guy until I got into a relationship again. Then, well, the rest was history.

I couldn't tell you why more people are going to Arizona. There's a conversation that dulun18 and I were having in the WiFi thread about me going to Arizona every so often to hang out with a friend of mine. I don't mind going there once in a blue moon but not one of those situations where I'd live there.


I guess it's common in your circle of friends. I know people who were living in their SUVs for a few years, but they are just cheapskates (it's not like they were traveling anyway..

We have a lot of snowbirds in Arizona. I'm guessing when you come here it's most likely during the winter months ?? Most people can't handle the heat here-- even those who are living here for years! I'm used to it since i'm running in 100-105 degree heat at night so

btw. anyone here travel to South Korea or Russia recently ?
23800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / FL
Offline
Posted 7/21/17
hi
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.