First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you have a degree ?
1786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / US
Offline
Posted 6/29/17
1 more years, 2 for a masters
And fortunately without going into to debt
And as a mechanical engineer, a field I generally need a degree in if I want companies to even look at me
And working with some web/coding on the side (which, at the moment, I can actually say without it being a pipe dream).
4424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / New Mexico
Offline
Posted 6/29/17
I have a BS in Biology.
421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M
Offline
Posted 6/29/17
Generally credits over 7-10 years in american institutions tend to go stale. Can you convert any of them to an associate degree from a community college? (Community colleges are easier to negotiate with older courses). If you can, then the associate degree usually does not go stale when using it to reduce needed credits for a BS.

I would urge you to work on something like that since society is trending towards a college degree being the new high school diploma.

Posted 6/30/17 , edited 6/30/17

Dark_Alma wrote:

Your list of stuff still amazes me....


Looking at your list, it seems we're somewhat similar. I take a lot of random courses (including culinary ones) to improve my skills or to learn new ones that are often applied in the "real world" (like becoming a certified engine technician/mechanic, or various healthcare courses [for personal knowledge and because I used to take care of my grandparents]).

The sad thing is that I'm contemplating throwing myself into an early retirement, go back to school for another four years and get my Masters degree in Pharmaceutical Science so that I can start focusing on Biostatistics (both professionally and academically). I'm pretty much a perpetual life-long student - but I've always slaved my ass off to make sure I could pay my bills and never got caught up in student debt. Putting down every certification I have would take forever and a day. The United Kingdom has a vocational certification standard ("City & Guilds") that I just squashed through quite a few certifications when I was living over there (from engineering to business to logistics to CAD to environmental sciences to hospitality... and so on).

Most of my friends consider me successful but I think to be successful is to find a job that you're happy with and you're "meshing" within multiple areas. I haven't quite found that one career or job that makes me feel like it fills all of my checkboxes. I'm fully aware that no career/job is without its flaws, just that there are usually more flaws than not. It just feels like I'm yearning for something that just gets a little closer to checking off the list, versus making a significant amount of compromise.
24 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/30/17
I have my BSN - bachelors of science in nursing, and am about a year and a half away from having my masters degree focused on family nurse practitioning
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 6/30/17
Yes bachelor's.
3520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Behind you...
Online
Posted 6/30/17
I have a BS in Information Systems and a minor in Statistics.
I'm currently studying to apply for a Ph.D in Personal Health Infomatics.

That's an awful lot of credits, I have a handful that I couldn't use as I changed my major twice.
3185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/30/17 , edited 6/30/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:



you have 125 credits ? isn't that equivalent to a 4 year bachelor's degree ?

what are the classes you took ? mostly medical ? (if you don't mind sharing).


I don't consider them degrees but they listed them under awards



I'll have to talk to a counselor about this. I hope maybe i can at least get an associate out of these credits..

as for the classes i took

HCC
NUR
BIO
ENH
CIS
ENG
MAT
SWU
PSY
CHM
FON
PHI
ART
OAS
HES
JPN
PHY

i got 2 year worth of JPN, PSY and NUR classes.

I think i know what i want to do now so the classes will not be as random like this
7385 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
π / Train / Railyard
Offline
Posted 6/30/17
Master's degree in Computer Engineering

I was going for a PhD just so I can teach at my university, but I quit after the first half of a year. It was too much to do besides work. Still, I held a class to first year students, it was fun.
10297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 6/30/17

ninjitsuko wrote:

Looking at your list, it seems we're somewhat similar. I take a lot of random courses (including culinary ones) to improve my skills or to learn new ones that are often applied in the "real world" (like becoming a certified engine technician/mechanic, or various healthcare courses [for personal knowledge and because I used to take care of my grandparents]).

The sad thing is that I'm contemplating throwing myself into an early retirement, go back to school for another four years and get my Masters degree in Pharmaceutical Science so that I can start focusing on Biostatistics (both professionally and academically). I'm pretty much a perpetual life-long student - but I've always slaved my ass off to make sure I could pay my bills and never got caught up in student debt. Putting down every certification I have would take forever and a day. The United Kingdom has a vocational certification standard ("City & Guilds") that I just squashed through quite a few certifications when I was living over there (from engineering to business to logistics to CAD to environmental sciences to hospitality... and so on).

Most of my friends consider me successful but I think to be successful is to find a job that you're happy with and you're "meshing" within multiple areas. I haven't quite found that one career or job that makes me feel like it fills all of my checkboxes. I'm fully aware that no career/job is without its flaws, just that there are usually more flaws than not. It just feels like I'm yearning for something that just gets a little closer to checking off the list, versus making a significant amount of compromise.


In that regard you sound a lot like one of my uncles. He has a mish mash of education just trying to find out what he wants to do the most. I know what I want to do, but I will need to move past my MS for a PhD for that. I would love to do research for NOAA. Currently I am happy with my job in Environmental sciences with ACE.
29 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/30/17
I have a Bachelors in Fine Arts for Photography and I am almost done with my J.D. for law. I transferred in my undergraduate degree and the credits that transferred over were mostly general although my school worked with me and made some fit for other courses so I could still only do 3 years instead of 3.5 or 4.

If you are interested in going to get a degree and finish, I'd talk to some guidance counselors. If you like what they say GET IT IN WRITING. This way they cannot later say oh somebody told you 2 years? Well you'll have to do 3, sorry. That's how they get you. I get everything in writing.
3185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/30/17 , edited 6/30/17

Alistatiora wrote:

I have a Bachelors in Fine Arts for Photography and I am almost done with my J.D. for law. I transferred in my undergraduate degree and the credits that transferred over were mostly general although my school worked with me and made some fit for other courses so I could still only do 3 years instead of 3.5 or 4.

If you are interested in going to get a degree and finish, I'd talk to some guidance counselors. If you like what they say GET IT IN WRITING. This way they cannot later say oh somebody told you 2 years? Well you'll have to do 3, sorry. That's how they get you. I get everything in writing.


we have to do this with guidance counselors as well ? i thought they would have our best interests at heart no ? :?

I guess they are salesman after all...
521 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / England, Norfolk,...
Online
Posted 6/30/17 , edited 6/30/17
Not yet, although I'm considering getting a Bachelor's then perhaps a Master's once I drag my ass through A-levels

* I don't actually have a clue in regards to what I'm talking about
Posted 6/30/17

Dark_Alma wrote:
In that regard you sound a lot like one of my uncles. He has a mish mash of education just trying to find out what he wants to do the most. I know what I want to do, but I will need to move past my MS for a PhD for that. I would love to do research for NOAA. Currently I am happy with my job in Environmental sciences with ACE.


Yeah, I absolutely love mathematics (and everything to do with it - from discrete maths to business to accounting/bookkeeping). The issue is that I equally hate being in a think tank, loathe the whole process of dealing with other mathematicians, and can't really see myself being a long-term accountant/bookkeeper (although, that one gig where I was a bookkeeper for an adult website in London, England was .... interesting).

I guess, in the long-run, it's all something to do. I'm not sure what all I really want to do, at the end of the day. Thoughts of early retirement that can keep me going until I'm about 70 is realistic (if I work for another 2-3 years). But I would lose my mind doing absolutely nothing for that length of time.
29 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 6/30/17
Anyone from a school that you are interested in attending. If they tell you that they will take these 50 credits or whatever, ask them to please write it all down and sign it so you can keep a record in order to make a decision. My school worked with me, but my final year told me I actually didn't have the credits for my minor. I was one short so I could go to school another whole semester for the one credit or not have a minor. And when I said that I was instructed of a schedule and followed it to a T they asked for proof.

I've also heard of other schools getting schedules and credits messed up and then not taking the blame and trying to make the student make up the credits. It's not to say they are bad people, it's just to say get that stuff in writing so you have something to back up your position.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.