First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Restaurant servers in the Maine successfully fight minimum wage increase
Posted 6/30/17

Ryulightorb wrote:


gornotck wrote:

Tips have more or less worked as an inventive for longer than anyone alive today can remember, but at some point it became "expected" to tip regardless of quality of service.

The "tip me or else" mentality is protected mostly where people cannot get immediately and summarily fired for any reason.


Pretty much i personally don't believe in tipping so i would never tip anywhere unless the rare occasion where i'm extremely impressed (only ever tipped at once place).
I feel if i lived in America waiters wouldn't like me since i disagree with tipping unless exemplary service.


>. There is also a high chance you get your food spit in piss of your restaurant staff i do not recommend.
29117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 6/30/17

MysteryMiss wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


gornotck wrote:

Tips have more or less worked as an inventive for longer than anyone alive today can remember, but at some point it became "expected" to tip regardless of quality of service.

The "tip me or else" mentality is protected mostly where people cannot get immediately and summarily fired for any reason.


Pretty much i personally don't believe in tipping so i would never tip anywhere unless the rare occasion where i'm extremely impressed (only ever tipped at once place).
I feel if i lived in America waiters wouldn't like me since i disagree with tipping unless exemplary service.


>. There is also a high chance you get your food spit in piss of your restaurant staff i do not recommend.


Which makes them a shitty human being and personally if i found out i would report it to the owner of the restaurant tipping is and never will be mandatory people who do such a thing don't deserve their job :P

Which is why the whole American waiting system is pathetic if people are allowed to do that
Posted 6/30/17
I feel like the "up and coming generation" (okay, so technically I'm part of the same generation as 18+-year-olds... but you know what I mean) are less likely to give tips. Although, in my travels, I've learned that some countries find tipping as offensive (see: Japan). The idea is that the services are rendered for the price given, so why insult by giving them more? In America, I know that most of those who are paid below minimum wage (unless their tips aren't met) need a good tip here or there. Most of my friends/colleagues will tip $2-5 even if the service was absolutely amazing. Most I've tipped was $175 when they waited on a party of 6. I still haven't had service that amazing anywhere else in America, that's for sure.

I don't tip just for the sake of tipping. It's one of those things that depends on the overall service, the food, and the number of people.
20145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / So. Cal
Online
Posted 6/30/17
I'm not a tipper because here in Cali, wait staff makes state minimum wage (which is higher than federal minimum wage last I checked) and I'd rather tip the chef than the person who took my order and brought out my food.

Tips have more or less worked as an inventive for longer than anyone alive today can remember, but at some point it became "expected" to tip regardless of quality of service.
Banned
21752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 6/30/17
Smart alex post in 1.....2,,,,,3

in the Maine what?
18835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 6/30/17
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_586e8881e4b02b5f85879a61
TLDR tipping causes issues for back house staff and black servers. Also I would assume mentally and physically ill because if say a tourettes person tics the people might think rude and not tip
Posted 6/30/17

Kefkapwnsall wrote:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_586e8881e4b02b5f85879a61
TLDR tipping causes issues for back house staff and black servers. Also I would assume mentally and physically ill because if say a tourettes person tics the people might think rude and not tip


No, the "TL;DR" would be "Racism causes issues with tipping."
Most restaurants pay back-house staff minimum wage while front of house (waiter/waitresses) tend to start out at around $4.25-6.25. The employer will match to minimum wage but that just means that on a bad night - back of house gets paid the same as those who's waiting the tables.

The issue, more or less, is that people fail to understand or appreciate those who are in the situation where the bulk majority of their pay would be in their tip. I've tipped both waiters/esses as well as busboys/girls. The latter would get the same pay either way, the wait staff would not.
3866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/30/17
the war is not over... the fight for $30/hr will continue on!!!
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.