First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Fox Spirit Matchmaker Discussion
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/17 , edited 7/9/17
Note: all images from from this anime or from promotional material for the anime, since this post is detail its background and promote people's understanding of the subject and not used for profit. It is cover under the fair use clause under Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107.

Main Characters


Tushan Susu/涂山苏苏 (Toshan Suusu)

Think carefully about this spoiler. If you already decided to continue to watch the show. Don't click it.


Susu appears to be “youngest” of the three Tushan sisters, she sucks at magic and spent the last 500 years with no growth in her abilities or appearances. She dreams of becoming a matchmaker and a true fox spirit. After she met Bai Yuechu, it appears that dream could be a reality.


Think carefully about the next two spoilers. If you already decided to continue to watch the show. Don't click it.











Bai Yuechu/白月初 (Haku Gesshou)

Think carefully about this spoiler. If you already decided to continue to watch the show. Don't click it.


Bai Yuechu is a poor slum brat with street smarts and hidden magic abilities. He is taken by the Taoist alliance at young and was placed under a close watch by Wang Fugui, whom he developed an antagonistic relationship with. Later, He met Susu and agrees to joining in on her quest to be the best matchmaker (and doing most of the work, since Susu is pretty much useless).



Think carefully about the next three spoilers. If you already decided to continue to watch the show. Don't click it.







I'll go over the secondary main character in my next post.
16284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/17 , edited 7/9/17
I know that you love this series to death xingfenzhen, but this is pretty much ruining the series for people who haven't seen it. The first few episodes are the weakest, but hopefully it can get better from now on. (as we both know) Just say positive things about it on the forum and try to sell it without going into too much spoiler.

I would describe it as a series of Love stories between Humans and Demons that transends time facilitated in a comedic manner by two idiots where one is a fox spirit named SuSu and the other, a shameless Taoist Monk named Bai YueChu who only wants candy, money, and woman. (Mainly Candy and Money) On their journey (or hijink) they discover that true love always find a way and that what seems like chance encounter are actually fated encounters.
12183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 7/8/17 , edited 7/9/17
Episode Two:

Okay, so this episode was certainly an improvement from the first. The humor still falls flat for me, but it was definitely more coherent and easier to grasp what was going on. Overall a decent episode, just enough to make me curious enough to see how they will wrap the current mission up.
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/17 , edited 7/9/17

Darthjingjing wrote:

I know that you love this series to death xingfenzhen, but this is pretty much ruining the series for people who haven't seen it. The first few episodes are the weakest, but hopefully it can get better from now on. (as we both know) Just say positive things about it on the forum and try to sell it without going into too much spoiler.


Well, that's what spoiler tags are for. I have added additional spoiler warning just before the tags, after reading your post. Just to make people think more carefully before clicking it.

The way I see it is: If people are dropping this series, there is really nothing to spoil or ruin for them, cause they'll never know anyway. If after reading this post and decides this is the type of story that interest them, perhaps they'll continue to watch it. After All, this series took a turns from slap-stick comedy to romance-fantasy in the second season. It would be funny if all the people expecting a serious anime in the beginning left because of the beginning episodes, while people stayed for a light comedy left because of the latter episodes.

I personally only started watching this series last month, and this is after reading a whole bunch of reviews on douban that more less spoiled the general plot, but at least I know exactly what type of anime/donghua it is. (without that, I would have dropped it in the beginning as well).
16284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/17 , edited 7/9/17

xingfenzhen wrote:


Darthjingjing wrote:

I know that you love this series to death xingfenzhen, but this is pretty much ruining the series for people who haven't seen it. The first few episodes are the weakest, but hopefully it can get better from now on. (as we both know) Just say positive things about it on the forum and try to sell it without going into too much spoiler.


Well, that's what spoiler tags are for. I have added additional spoiler warning just before the tags, after reading your post.

The way I see it is: If people are dropping this series, there is really nothing to spoil or ruining for them, cause they'll never know anyway. If after reading this is the type of story that interest them, perhaps they'll continue to watch it.

I personally only started watch this series last month, and this is after reading a whole bunch of reviews on douban that more less spoiled the general plot. (without that, I would have dropped it in the beginning as well).


True, its a hard series to recommend in the beginning other than please trust us, it will definitely get better without spoiling it. For me, it hard to recommend something and not spoil it.

Well since I assume you are past episode 48, I will like to say TuShan RongRong best girl.
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/17 , edited 7/9/17

Darthjingjing wrote:

Well since I assume you are past episode 48, I will like to say TuShan RongRong best girl.


I actually watched through ep 63, then can't wait 'till the october release, I end reading the manhua/manga to the latest chapter (include the paid ones). it will take a good year until the anime caught up to where I am in the plot. One the most amazing thing I found about this series is just how closely it follows the manga. 95% of the time, it basically follows it panel by panel, same angle, same character position, same dialogue, same background, just with some elaboration and transition. I have never seen an anime that follows the source material this closely. This I think is also it down fall in the early episodes, since the author appears to be drawing it in an almost Yonkoma manga style without an obvious overarching plot in the beginning.

16284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/9/17

xingfenzhen wrote:



45472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/9/17
This show is hitting me right in the slap-stick sweet spot. The exaggerated action, the sudden about-faces, all are just right. While I'm finding Susu to be the "odd man out" at the same time her eagerness and naivete play well to anchor what's happening. Even as the craziness swirls around and the story ricochets about she's used well to pull it back in place from time to time and remind the characters why they're there.
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/9/17

Darthjingjing wrote:



21187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/9/17
This is Chinese wtf?

The first two episodes were an incoherent mess, looks like a typical slice of life matchmaking garbage boring show, main characters I guess it was the girl fox was annoying, the male main character was even worse and the single most unwatchable character I have ever seen. Everything is going a mile a minute with little to no explanation and when they do explain stuff I don't know whether to believe them because it's immediately turned into a joke scene.

The comedy is bad(maybe its what the Chinese people think is funny but I sure as hell dont), nothing makes any sense, if it wasn't for the subtitles im pretty sure I wouldn't understand the fox girl half the time, and whats the worst part is the matching making plot also starts breaking its own rules. The woman princess(i think she is one the episode didn't make it clear)was not even the sand fox's past lover! They never married or even had kids etc. So wtf are they even doing? Looks like they are using that resurrection / incarnation magic for some shady shit imo.

Overall nice visuals, music is fine but everything else is a mess.
78838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/9/17
Not sure how long it'll keep me but I'm enjoying the slapstick for what it is.


soulsinferno wrote:

The comedy is bad(maybe its what the Chinese people think is funny but I sure as hell dont)

Guess I'm honorarily Chinese.
231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/10/17

soulsinferno wrote:

This is Chinese wtf?

The first two episodes were an incoherent mess, looks like a typical slice of life matchmaking garbage boring show, main characters I guess it was the girl fox was annoying, the male main character was even worse and the single most unwatchable character I have ever seen. Everything is going a mile a minute with little to no explanation and when they do explain stuff I don't know whether to believe them because it's immediately turned into a joke scene.

The comedy is bad(maybe its what the Chinese people think is funny but I sure as hell dont), nothing makes any sense, if it wasn't for the subtitles im pretty sure I wouldn't understand the fox girl half the time, and whats the worst part is the matching making plot also starts breaking its own rules. The woman princess(i think she is one the episode didn't make it clear)was not even the sand fox's past lover! They never married or even had kids etc. So wtf are they even doing? Looks like they are using that resurrection / incarnation magic for some shady shit imo.

Overall nice visuals, music is fine but everything else is a mess.


Yeah, the first few episodes have very bad reputation in China too. No one believed it would be a thing. However, because it's their own product they have enough patience to see it through, and it did deliver later as the stats showed. When people talk about this show in China they generally exclude the first arc because it really feels so out of place compared to later ones.

About the main characters they are indeed hardly likable. All I can say right now is that don't focus solely on them because they are not the stars of this show and we will have to wait before the true MCs come out.

If you don't like the comedy it's fine because it's not the focus of the show either. But it is a shame as it can make things messier.
35 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

soulsinferno wrote:

The woman princess(i think she is one the episode didn't make it clear)was not even the sand fox's past lover! They never married or even had kids etc. So wtf are they even doing?


Where did you get this from? This is information not revealed until the next episode.
I guess it's the "princess" title that confused people. It's a translation issue. In the original language the female general is referred to as the prince's consort. I'm not sure what's a better translation or what the equivalent is called in English.

35 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

arcsec1 wrote:


soulsinferno wrote:

This is Chinese wtf?

The first two episodes were an incoherent mess, looks like a typical slice of life matchmaking garbage boring show, main characters I guess it was the girl fox was annoying, the male main character was even worse and the single most unwatchable character I have ever seen. Everything is going a mile a minute with little to no explanation and when they do explain stuff I don't know whether to believe them because it's immediately turned into a joke scene.

The comedy is bad(maybe its what the Chinese people think is funny but I sure as hell dont), nothing makes any sense, if it wasn't for the subtitles im pretty sure I wouldn't understand the fox girl half the time, and whats the worst part is the matching making plot also starts breaking its own rules. The woman princess(i think she is one the episode didn't make it clear)was not even the sand fox's past lover! They never married or even had kids etc. So wtf are they even doing? Looks like they are using that resurrection / incarnation magic for some shady shit imo.

Overall nice visuals, music is fine but everything else is a mess.


Yeah, the first few episodes have very bad reputation in China too. No one believed it would be a thing. However, because it's their own product they have enough patience to see it through, and it did delivered later as the stats showed. When people talk about this show in China they generally exclude the first arc because it really feels so out of place compared to later ones.

About the main characters they are indeed hardly likable. All I can say right now is that don't focus solely on them because they are not the stars of this show and we will have to wait before the true MCs come out.

If you don't like the comedy it's fine because it's not the focus of the show either. But it is a shame as it can make things messier.



I agree but I wouldn't say the main characters are unlikable. Susu/Suusu is likable from the beginning. Yuechu/Gesshou is very unlikable at the beginning, but he redeemed himself through his actions later on (especially in episode 48). I see him as a kid who has a good heart but has some bad influence from his father which he'll grow out of eventually. But of course neither of them right now hold a candle to the Red Moon.

The creator has a bad habit of misleading us about a character's true nature. That's part of the fun in watching this series. We learn not to judge a character based on our first impression. Rather our impressions of the characters keep changing when more information/backstories are revealed to us.
5894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17
What abomination? But this is good character design, they should start with Higurashi
21187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/11/17 , edited 7/11/17

Jyzal wrote:


soulsinferno wrote:

The woman princess(i think she is one the episode didn't make it clear)was not even the sand fox's past lover! They never married or even had kids etc. So wtf are they even doing?


Where did you get this from? This is information not revealed until the next episode.
I guess it's the "princess" title that confused people. It's a translation issue. In the original language the female general is referred to as the prince's consort. I'm not sure what's a better translation or what the equivalent is called in English.



Oh great, so this will be a translation nightmare, good to know sigh.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.