First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Miss Gendering and Deadnaming.
75946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 14 days ago
There has been a lot of talk in Canadian circles about a law to include gender expression and gender identity as facets of a person you can't use for discrimination. They join sex, sexual orientation, race, creed and a few other protected traits.

Some are trying to conflate this into an attack on free speach. Saying you could now be sent to jail for misgendering someone. This is untrue. It DOES mean you can't refuse to hire someone because you don't like 'trannys'. but there is no crime for what you say.

here's a little more on the subject:
http://sds.utoronto.ca/blog/bill-c-16-no-its-not-about-criminalizing-pronoun-misuse/

I personally don't get it. What's so hard about calling people what they want to be called? Isn't that just common courtesy?
271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Ypsilanti, Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/14/17
I think it comes down to fear of what it might bring. If this law is abused to trample people's rights of freedom of speech, then it's very much understood why it's seeing backlash.

It doesn't look like that's what it is intended for, though.
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/14/17
Anyone who thinks not being allowed to discriminately harm the livelihoods of people who are different than you is an attack on free speech can fuck right off. It's pretty sad that some group needs so much of a fight for equal rights every decade or so. You'd have thought we would all have learned our lessons after women were made equal.

Also, pre emptive counterpoint to what I know bigoted idiots are gonna say

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150107082133.htm
75946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 7/3/17

octorockandroll wrote:

Anyone who thinks not being allowed to discriminately harm the livelihoods of people who are different than you is an attack on free speech can fuck right off. It's pretty sad that some group needs so much of a fight for equal rights every decade or so. You'd have thought we would all have learned our lessons after women were made equal.

Also, pre emptive counterpoint to what I know bigoted idiots are gonna say

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150107082133.htm


Interesting Article. Thanks for the support.


21417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 14 days ago
I identify as a king and my preferred pronoun is "Your Highness". As a king I need extensive lands and a vast wealth to be able to feel "normal".



Also why would you want to hire the mentally ill? You have to constantly worry about being harassed or sued for micro aggressions or saying the wrong word. Just imagine if anorexics had special rights so they could sue anyone that calls them skinny while they self identify as fat.
34496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17
As per usual, the reason behind the dissent flew past this one.


octorockandroll wrote:

Anyone who thinks not being allowed to discriminately harm the livelihoods of people who are different than you is an attack on free speech can fuck right off.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/18/de-blasio-fine-businesses-wrong-gender-pronouns/
28459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/12/17

Rujikin wrote:

I identify as a king and my preferred pronoun is "Your Highness". As a king I need extensive lands and a vast wealth to be able to feel "normal".



Also why would you want to hire the mentally ill? You have to constantly worry about being harassed or sued for micro aggressions or saying the wrong word. Just imagine if anorexics had special rights so they could sue anyone that calls them skinny while they self identify as fat.


refusing to hire someone who is mentally ill because they are mentally ill is usually in most circumstances against the law.

Atleast in most sane countries.
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

As per usual, the reason behind the dissent flew past this one.


octorockandroll wrote:

Anyone who thinks not being allowed to discriminately harm the livelihoods of people who are different than you is an attack on free speech can fuck right off.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/18/de-blasio-fine-businesses-wrong-gender-pronouns/


An incident unrelated to the bill in question that didn't even happen in the same country.

Something definitely flew past someone alright.

34496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17

octorockandroll wrote:

An incident unrelated to the bill in question that didn't even happen in the same country.

Something definitely flew past someone alright.




XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

As per usual, the reason behind the dissent flew past this one.

880 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Mississippi
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/14/17
So if I want to be a known as a toaster then I can be a toaster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM-HJT8_esM

Lets just go ahead and called everyone Number 1 because god forbid someone gets offended.
Ugh the Remilia's of the world.
qwueri 
20012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 14 days ago
Why does the 'I identify as an attack helicopter' retort feel distinctly like the 'legalizing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their furniture and pets' argument?
8809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 14 days ago

qwueri wrote:

Why does the 'I identify as an attack helicopter' retort feel distinctly like the 'legalizing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their furniture and pets' argument?


Probably because it has the same basis in reality: none.
34496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/13/17

qwueri wrote:

Why does the 'I identify as an attack helicopter' retort feel distinctly like the 'legalizing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their furniture and pets' argument?

It doesn't. It just presents the reality of the situation in an extreme manner, albeit typically sarcastically so.

Advocating that legalizing gay marriage would lead to bestiality is an example of the fallacious slippery slope argument.
Posted 7/3/17

papagolfwhiskey wrote:
I personally don't get it. What's so hard about calling people what they want to be called? Isn't that just common courtesy?


People don't like being forced to do things they don't want to.
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 14 days ago

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


qwueri wrote:

Why does the 'I identify as an attack helicopter' retort feel distinctly like the 'legalizing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their furniture and pets' argument?

It doesn't. It just presents the reality of the situation in an extreme manner, albeit typically sarcastically so.

Advocating that legalizing gay marriage would lead to bestiality is an example of the fallacious slippery slope argument.


An abstract and ubquantifiable concept is equatable to a vehicle and an argument that people identifying as people will lead to people identifying as said vehicles is not a slipepry slope argument? I'd point out that that's a pretty peculiar definition of "reality" you're running with but that would imply i didn't already know that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.