First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Miss Gendering and Deadnaming.
qwueri 
23828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

I am trying to give you a chance here. Slow down. Re-read what I posted before.

It is an appeal to emotion to use that mockery in an argument whereas you are debating whether or not someone with gender dysphoria is what they say they are.

And, sure, some people use that example for such an argument. I have not done so here, and, just because the argument is fallacious in that case, it does not mean it is fallacious to use it in a different fashion in a different argument. A la nuance.


Using the 'attack helicopter' retort uses the same reducto absurum that is used with the 'marrying a car argument', regardless of tense of the alleged consequence or the amount of satire used to deliver the assertion. Neither show respect for the desired human interaction expressed. The validity of gender dysphoria is certainly a different argument, but it is tied to the level of respect shown to the people being addressed.
14031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Online
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:
When referencing that person I have used their name, and when speaking directly to them I use the second-person.


this reminds me, in Japan, people usually just refer to other people by either their name or title, depending on how close they are to each other. there are pronouns for "he" and "she", but those are usually only used to refer to boyfriend / girlfriend.
77477 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

So is that a yes on weather you take it upon yourself to police bathrooms to make sure only OEM people use them?

Waste of time on something I'm not too invested in caring about.

My stance on the issue is, and always has been, that bathrooms in this age shouldn't be segregated based on sex, anyway.


Also, Let me ask you this. How do you address/refer to people you believe/know are transgendered?

I don't refer to them with third-person pronouns at all. When referencing that person I have used their name, and when speaking directly to them I use the second-person.

This is out of respect and compromise for them. I have only met one male transgender before, and he didn't even seem to notice, or, if he did, said nothing.

The reason I will use their preferred name is that, typically, they have legalized it, so it is, indeed, their name.


Cool. I can live and let live with that. I don't have to agree with people to get along. I just will be myself and take the conflict where it comes.


qwueri 
23828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Hold on. Is this, by chance, Octo's alternate account?

Well. Nothing-doing. I'm not going to beat a dead horse.


Nope, although I suspect you've been taking the argument directly aimed at you rather than the argument you've been making.
35304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

qwueri wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Hold on. Is this, by chance, Octo's alternate account?

Well. Nothing-doing. I'm not going to beat a dead horse.


Nope, although I suspect you've been taking the argument directly aimed at you rather than the argument you've been making.

No. I just have more fun things I can be doing rather than try to teach you that a statement cannot be fallacious by nature, only by usage.

Idk. Maybe you can just read about it? Hopefully this link will help you to begin on your knowledge adventure.
12035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17
Hey OP, what is your opinion on "Ecosexuals" actually i might start a thread about them later.
qwueri 
23828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

No. I just have more fun things I can be doing rather than try to teach you that a statement cannot be fallacious by nature, only by usage.

Idk. Maybe you can just read about it? Hopefully this link will help you to begin on your knowledge adventure.


Funny, I've been arguing the usage this entire time. I'm at a bit of a loss on how I lost you on that point.
77477 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:

Hey OP, what is your opinion on "Ecosexuals" actually i might start a thread about them later.


I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the term.


47839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17
"preferred pronouns" lololol

whatever floats ur boat dudes

imma just be over here asleep
35304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

qwueri wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

No. I just have more fun things I can be doing rather than try to teach you that a statement cannot be fallacious by nature, only by usage.

Idk. Maybe you can just read about it? Hopefully this link will help you to begin on your knowledge adventure.


Funny, I've been arguing the usage this entire time. I'm at a bit of a loss on how I lost you on that point.

Right. /s

qwueri 
23828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Right. /s



Using the presumption of a fallacy's premise isn't using that fallacy?
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

octorockandroll wrote:

Sure I was wrong about the source but you pretending its "anti free speech propaganda" as well as the claim that you go to jail for just being racist in Canada is still a lie. Nice try though. Good for a laugh, like I said.


I imagine this is what arguing with a brainwashed North Korean about their shit government is like.

It is anti free speech propaganda. Aimed at kids no less. Hate speech is free speech, and if your government doesn't allow 'hate speech' then it does not support free speech. Especially when they pay for propaganda to be aimed at children.
And again, you're wrong
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/02/01/montreal-police-see-rise-in-hate-speech-complaints-arrest-man-for-alleged-social-media-posts.html


The charge of public incitement of hatred carries a maximum of two years in prison, while uttering threats has a maximum five-year sentence.



“Threatening or hate propaganda[/b] on social media, regardless of intention (humour), can be criminal,” said Capt. Guy Lapointe.


So, unlike OP said in a reply to me, its not just threats, but anything deemed to be 'insulting' or 'hateful' based off of race/gender/religion/sexual orientation etc.



35304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

qwueri wrote:

Using the presumption of a fallacy's premise isn't using that fallacy?

I am officially bored of you. Expect no further reply on this tangent.
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Sure I was wrong about the source but you pretending its "anti free speech propaganda" as well as the claim that you go to jail for just being racist in Canada is still a lie. Nice try though. Good for a laugh, like I said.


I imagine this is what arguing with a brainwashed North Korean about their shit government is like.

It is anti free speech propaganda. Aimed at kids no less. Hate speech is free speech, and if your government doesn't allow 'hate speech' then it does not support free sspeech





But hate speech is allowed in Canada. Now if you make threats against another person based on your hatred, then that's a crime of course and it would be with or without your prejudice being involved, but there's no penalty for not liking certain groups. By all means, keep desperately trying to compare Canada to North Korea though. It makes you look really smart.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.