First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Which animals are okay to harvest for fur and skins? Which are not?
Posted 7/10/17

kyoukosuehara wrote:

In my opinion, as long as an animal is killed for food, any of its parts can be harvested for anything else. As long as none of it is wasted (you eat its meat etc.) and not just kill it for its fur it's fine.


This is pretty much how I view it. I grew up hunting deer and stopped when people stopped using its meat for meals and started getting competitive about how many "points" (how many "ends" are on its antlers) or whether or not it was a trophy buck. I'm all for survival and feeding your family. If you're hunting for sport, I don't have much respect for said "hunter". One should hunt to put food on their family's table, not to have a meaningless trophy on the wall.

Same goes for using fur and skins. I also used to trap muskrat and would sell the meat, fur, and hide to people as a child. Locals would use the fur to make coats (when they were too poor for heating), use the meat for stews (cheaper than beef), and use the hide for insulation on the fur coat. I grew up in the countryside, where it would take 50-60 minutes to get to the nearest grocery store until the base started to get populated again - there were houses in the area that were older than my grandparents (even now, to the point where my grandfather is 90 years old - there are still houses older than he is that people live in).

Humans may be "smarter" than animals but it doesn't give us the right to disrespect their lives. If we kill something, we should use as much of its resources as humanly possible.
23073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Batcave
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
Okay: Humans.

Not okay: Endangered species.
3852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/10/17

gornotck wrote:


Human skin is actually too thin and fragile to make good leather.


too thin is good ! i think we can add something to help with the fragile problem-- then we will have the perfect material for CONDOMS!

so let's start skinning humans for condoms!!
5272 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 7/10/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:


jtjumper wrote:

Which animals are ok to harvest for fur and skins? Which are not?

My position:

Go ahead and harvest any non-humans


what's wrong with humans? we always like to explore for new things right ?

It's time to put humans on the table too


joking aside.. there's a human for sale website ?
http://www.humanforsale.com/




$2,307,830

Wow
3852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

amejia0 wrote:



$2,307,830

Wow


you actually took the test ?

they asked a lot of personal information in the survey..

i'm sure you will get an extra million or at least 500K for these.. set it to DDD for cup size!!
anfex 
1069 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
Jeez... I hope that if reincarnation is really a thing I reincarnate in a human again!
849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
I don't like wastefulness, and I greatly prefer that endangered species are untouched. Not much is more obnoxious that the equivalent of buying a whole gallon of whipping cream, only to use a cup and toss the rest.
29914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

ronchester44 wrote:

I'm against killing animals in general, especially for the purpose of harvesting fur, although I can understand where you are coming from. I understand the view that "If the animal isn't on the verge of extinction, then go ahead." Although this opinion is completely disregarding an animal's sentience and right to life. Animals are capable of feeling pain on the same level (physically) as a human, and certain animals are capable of developing emotional bonds to others of the same species. To say "Oh, go ahead, kill them" Is disregarding these facts and not even taking them into consideration in the first place. Buy killing animals for their fur, you are basically causing the needless death of thousands of animals a year, some of which have actually entered a state of being endangered as a result of them being hunted for their fur.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/07/31/globalpost-6-endangered-animals-poachers-hunting-into-extinction/30932385/
(This article doesn't focus entirely on the fur trade, but hopefully you get my point)

Even then, why kills animals for fur, when A: We don't need to, and B: We, as a species, have evolved past the point of needing fur for survival, people who where fur now are just decorating themselves with the remains of a murdered sentient being. Regular coats/jumpers that don't use animal fur are just as effective, if not more, at keeping us cold, which begs the question "What's the point in killing animals for their fur", well, there isn't. Humans have evolved past the point of a primitive society in which we needed to hunt for survival, we don't today, instead we can just order a non-fur jacket online, instead of having to go out to hunt for it.

So, in summary to your question, I don't think any animals should be hunted for their fur, because it is completely un-necessary by a 1st world, western standard. Of course, there are exceptions in certain parts of the world, where people need to wear fur because they don't have access to other methods of keeping themselves warm. Those who wear fur and are living in a rich, developed country, are just causing the needless death of thousands of animals every year, for no reason other than to impress others.


Yes, and cell phones and TVs are unnecessary also. Needless deaths? I think they have to die before you can harvest the fur, so it's not needless. You assume too much. Real fur feels great, artificial doesn't even come close to the feel and texture. Impress others? No, it just feels good, better than fake. Now what. Now that you've met a cold heartless bastard, what's your argument? Your original argument is too weak and reasonable. You should have posted a picture of a mink with a chewed off leg, that has impact. Kindness is fine for lovemaking. When you're fighting for a strong belief, use a strong argument, not a squishy one. Here let me help you make your case.


First off don't tell people that you're against killing in general, you are not. If 10 men raped your mother you'd shoot them all, in that instant.
Second don't use logic for an emotional argument, doesn't work. Instead use graphic images, a picture is worth...

https://www.google.com/search?q=mink+with+a+chewed+off+leg&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8n76H-__UAhUL2GMKHTrbBO8Q_AUIBigB&biw=1920&bih=1091#imgrc=dZ22VbuB3wemTM:

Third use a push pull argument start with a slight rib at the opposing view, then give some examples of how they may be able to line up with your views. Make them think you are reasonable, and sympathize. When in reality, they have consumed your point.


7441 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
All are okay to skin, including humans. Except for dogs. Don't skin dogs, that's messed up.
12158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
Species are meant to go extinct at some point, but for the past few centuries, humans have been driving species extinct.
So imo, it's more about the means than the end:
No baby/child animal of any species.
No causing unecessary pain.
No waste of animal remains.
No excess.
3382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Québec - CANADA
Offline
Posted 7/11/17
I think it's okay to skin anything that is used for more than its skin.

For example, you could skin an horse, a cow or even a dog... as long as the meat and bones are used conveniently.
Skinning animal dead from a "real" natural cause is also acceptable.
(This means that even if dying from a bullet in the head is "natural", that isn't included as acceptable.)
503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / England, Norfolk,...
Offline
Posted 7/11/17
Ok, looking back, I can see there are some problems with my argument, and you do give some good advice, but you clearly misinterpreted some aspects of my post. Firstly, I didn't say I was against killing, I said I was against killing animals. I am basing my belief of being against killing animals due to the fact that the vast majority are capable of experiencing pain, and certain animals are also capable of developing emotional bonds with others of the same species. In the case of hunting them for their fur, you aren't doing it to improve society, or to protect others, but instead you are simply fulfilling your selfish desires.

Secondly, you didn't really provide a detailed counter-argument for mine, instead you just gave some advice, which I am grateful of. Whilst it is true that cell phones and TV's aren't completely necessary, they both make life a whole lot easier. Also, by needless deaths, I meant that they are dying for no good or required reason in order for us to live, we don't need animal fur to survive, our ancestor's did, but that was thousands of years ago.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/aliceharding/animals-tortured-maimed-killed-for-human-pleasure-/

8622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 7/11/17
I don't personally see the point in wearing animal skins when faux fur looks similar. If some people feel the need to wear animal skins then I'm fine with it as long as the animals were killed as quickly and painlessly as possible
40749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / HI
Online
Posted 7/11/17
I think as long as they are not on the endangered list and you use the whole animal its fine
2304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Capsule Hotel
Offline
Posted 7/11/17
I'll eat whatever is edible and tastes good.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.