First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Elegant Yokai Apartment Life Discussion
338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/5/17

kkmenchi wrote:

Ahh this seasons Yokai show, I get that yokai are the Jack Tripper (if you don't get the reference ask and I'll explain it) of Japan but are they really that popular. Seems like every show with them recycles the same stuff.


Uhh...I think you meant Jack the Ripper there. Jack Tripper was John Ritter's character on the 70s sitcom Three's Company.
507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 7/5/17
Pretty Good watched it yesterday, and it is amazing sometimes boring well its just the first episode lets wait and see what happens really enjoyed the first.
14125 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/5/17

mythrilmothV2 wrote:


kkmenchi wrote:

Ahh this seasons Yokai show, I get that yokai are the Jack Tripper (if you don't get the reference ask and I'll explain it) of Japan but are they really that popular. Seems like every show with them recycles the same stuff.


Uhh...I think you meant Jack the Ripper there. Jack Tripper was John Ritter's character on the 70s sitcom Three's Company.


Yes, that's exactly who I meant John Ritter's character.
76948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Online
Posted 7/5/17 , edited 7/5/17
People saying 90s means I'll be trying this.


kkmenchi wrote:


mythrilmothV2 wrote:


kkmenchi wrote:

Ahh this seasons Yokai show, I get that yokai are the Jack Tripper (if you don't get the reference ask and I'll explain it) of Japan but are they really that popular. Seems like every show with them recycles the same stuff.


Uhh...I think you meant Jack the Ripper there. Jack Tripper was John Ritter's character on the 70s sitcom Three's Company.


Yes, that's exactly who I meant John Ritter's character.

Yokai are myriad supernatural entities in Japanese mythology, not 100% sure where you went with this. You mean there are a lot of stories presently about human protagonists getting set up in boarding houses along with a bunch of spirits?
338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/5/17

kkmenchi wrote:


mythrilmothV2 wrote:

Uhh...I think you meant Jack the Ripper there. Jack Tripper was John Ritter's character on the 70s sitcom Three's Company.


Yes, that's exactly who I meant John Ritter's character.


Yyyyyeah no. Unless you meant to say the human protagonist is being set up as this. In which case...also no.

The situation in Three's Company was that one man was sharing rent with two women so they could all afford an apartment, all of them fully understanding the situation as responsible adults, only because of the landlord's backwards mindset, Jack had to pretend to be gay whenever the landlord came around.

So, in what way, exactly, does THIS anime even REMOTELY resemble Three's Company?

(Hint hint: It kinda doesn't at all.)
14125 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/5/17 , edited 7/5/17

mythrilmothV2 wrote:


kkmenchi wrote:


mythrilmothV2 wrote:

Uhh...I think you meant Jack the Ripper there. Jack Tripper was John Ritter's character on the 70s sitcom Three's Company.


Yes, that's exactly who I meant John Ritter's character.


Yyyyyeah no. Unless you meant to say the human protagonist is being set up as this. In which case...also no.

The situation in Three's Company was that one man was sharing rent with two women so they could all afford an apartment, all of them fully understanding the situation as responsible adults, only because of the landlord's backwards mindset, Jack had to pretend to be gay whenever the landlord came around.

So, in what way, exactly, does THIS anime even REMOTELY resemble Three's Company?

(Hint hint: It kinda doesn't at all.)


Three's Company was always about misunderstandings caused by Jack, in the shows I've seen the comedy comes from the Yokai causing misunderstandings between characters. In other words (in a comedy) they're there to disrupt what would otherwise just be normal everyday situations.

Or if you prefer they're the Loki, or trickster god creating mischief.

338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/5/17

kkmenchi wrote:

Three's Company was always about misunderstandings caused by Jack, in the shows I've seen the comedy comes from the Yokai causing misunderstandings between characters. In other words (in a comedy) they're there to disrupt what would otherwise just be normal everyday situations.

Or if you prefer they're the Loki, or trickster god creating mischief.



Ah, OK. I get what you're going for now. Yeah, the Jack Tripper analogy was a really, REALLY bad analogy. It doesn't remotely fit what you're trying to say at all. Because Jack didn't intentionally cause misunderstandings, nor was he the only source of them. The whole schtick of Three's Company was every character unintentionally caused wacky misunderstandings that got them in trouble.

Which...doesn't really apply to youkai, who intentionally make mischief (or just cause mischief by existing).

14125 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/5/17

mythrilmothV2 wrote:


kkmenchi wrote:

Three's Company was always about misunderstandings caused by Jack, in the shows I've seen the comedy comes from the Yokai causing misunderstandings between characters. In other words (in a comedy) they're there to disrupt what would otherwise just be normal everyday situations.

Or if you prefer they're the Loki, or trickster god creating mischief.



Ah, OK. I get what you're going for now. Yeah, the Jack Tripper analogy was a really, REALLY bad analogy. It doesn't remotely fit what you're trying to say at all. Because Jack didn't intentionally cause misunderstandings, nor was he the only source of them. The whole schtick of Three's Company was every character unintentionally caused wacky misunderstandings that got them in trouble.

Which...doesn't really apply to youkai, who intentionally make mischief (or just cause mischief by existing).



True but it didn't start until he showed up, and he was intentionally trying to deceive the Ropers and Mr Furley or just cause mischief by existing like Jack ;)
Dushan 
11156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 7/5/17
Looks fun, interesting concept. Will be watching a few more to see how it turns out.
69684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Seattle
Online
Posted 7/10/17
Episode 2

The rest of the residents of the apartment are introduced, and they have some pretty weird personalities. As school begins, Yushi learns that he has the power to transfer injuries to himself as he would find out when Tashiro was injured in an accident, and being an exorcist that Akine dispels it. Pretty much, it's all about Yushi getting along with both humans and yokai as he learns to settle in.
226552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
Episode 2 was okay, first half felt like it dragged but at least it did introduce the other characters. Mariko though....

Akine is my favorite so far in this series. She has good knowledge about exorcism and supernatural whereabouts.

10287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 7/10/17
Not sure I'm a fan of the twist with Yushi able to access psychic abilities as I was more into the whole "regular guy in an apartment with yokai" angle myself. We'll see how much they push that moving forward though as the next episode preview doesn't seem to hint at it continuing.
1582 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / Somewhere
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
Episode 2

So we get more of an in detail look at all the residents living in the apartment but it seems Inaba still can't get used to the fact that Youkai are living under the same roof as him (I don't blame him though). We then get introduced to Hase, who also seems to be a Psychic along side Akine, Hase gives Inaba a talk about settling in to the place and it seems he feels a bit more relaxed now. With the new school year starting, Inaba goes in to high school and seems to be settling in quite well. He joins the English literature group and also makes a few friends there as well. When going home he gets these weird thought of danger and, when these people get injured, he is somehow able to absorb the pain from them. It ends pretty good and he discovers something new about him.

I feel like I went in to way to much detail this time around with this episode but, whatever. Quite a fun episode, dragged a bit at the start when introducing the characters but the second half felt quite quick. Animation was fine this week and music was still good. Really enjoying this series up to now, keep it up!
34176 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
We get the intro of human? residents of the apartment and Yushi school life.

A pretty relaxing show. I'm sure i'll keep watching the rest of this one for the season
18737 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Maniwa Japan
Offline
Posted 7/11/17
Personally, I feel like this might be a "hidden gem" of the season.

Just overall very enjoyable so far.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.