First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Solving water crisis
85 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/6/17
Your idea sounds like a desalination plant, which already exists.
37460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/6/17
Global warming.
11600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The outer atmoshe...
Offline
Posted 7/6/17 , edited 7/6/17
^^^Great idea! Let's just say 'fuck the polar bears' and fill that giant pot with polar ice. Then we just move it down to the equator and, voila! A giant pot-load of freshwater! It's ingenious!
5260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 7/6/17

LingLingJuju wrote:

Your idea sounds like a desalination plant, which already exists.


I was thinking the same thing. They have some in the Middle east and it's the most expensive drinkable water ever.
642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Lost.
Offline
Posted 7/6/17
We wrestle comets into orbit and mine them for water and anything else.
9755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/17
There's several ways to recycle water and desalinize sea water.

Frozen salt water, in fact, can just be left to drip, and the ice that remains is desalinized. It's called freeze distillation and and when done with hard cider it's called "jacking" (hence, "applejack")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_freezing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UbnHw0qIzo

So we need to create more applejack...

(honestly, you also don't need to boil water to desalinate it evaporatvely. the sun does just fine. The biggest issue is not using water efficiently, not storing it, and not recycling it well enough, also, waste treatment plants basically "recycle" your water by treating it before pouring the clean water back into the river, lake, reservoir, etc... Typically cleaner than the water it is being poured back into)
5661 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/17 , edited 7/6/17

tkayt wrote:


LingLingJuju wrote:

Your idea sounds like a desalination plant, which already exists.


I was thinking the same thing. They have some in the Middle east and it's the most expensive drinkable water ever.


Right, but the desalination process is expensive or slow. If you use a filter and it is slow, why not have an entire farm doing just filtering since we have vast amount of sea water?


serifsansserif wrote:

There's several ways to recycle water and desalinize sea water.

Frozen salt water, in fact, can just be left to drip, and the ice that remains is desalinized. It's called freeze distillation and and when done with hard cider it's called "jacking" (hence, "applejack")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_freezing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UbnHw0qIzo

So we need to create more applejack...

(honestly, you also don't need to boil water to desalinate it evaporatvely. the sun does just fine. The biggest issue is not using water efficiently, not storing it, and not recycling it well enough, also, waste treatment plants basically "recycle" your water by treating it before pouring the clean water back into the river, lake, reservoir, etc... Typically cleaner than the water it is being poured back into)


Right, but we got the entire sea at our disposal right? Until we start endangering penguins. More is better, if energy is not an issue, I suppose we are still improving the energy efficient filtering process, or if the process is slow we will just jack up the conversion quantity
13234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 7/6/17
desalinization won't solve Flint's water crisis.
Posted 7/6/17
I saw a video where someone was drinking recycled toilet water forgot what country that was in.
5661 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/17

namealreadytaken wrote:

desalinization won't solve Flint's water crisis.


Why not ?
44 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/6/17
Have you seen that solar panel that makes water out of air? Its called SOURCE something
13234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 7/6/17 , edited 7/30/17

fredreload wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:

desalinization won't solve Flint's water crisis.


Why not ?


desalinization removes salt, it does nothing to remove bacteria or byproducts caused by chemicals interacting with bacteria
probably ineffective in removing lead as well. i remember reading that the plumbing is messed up, so even if you were to push clean water through it, the residents would still end up with contaminated water.
5661 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 7/6/17

namealreadytaken wrote:


fredreload wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:

desalinization won't solve Flint's water crisis.


Why not ?


desalinization removes salt, it does nothing to remove bacteria or byproducts caused by chemicals interacting with bacteria
probably ineffective in removing lead as well. i remember reading that the plumbing is messed up, so even if you were to push clean water through it, the residents would still end up with contaminated water.


It's all about delivery lol, once you get clean water in the states next to the ocean of course, the rest is getting the water inward through piping, or trucks delivery, we'd even get irrigation like Egypt, or water plants 24/7.
10297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/7/17

MossRantz wrote:

how does that give us water


It isn't hard at all to collect water vapor.

Step 1: Boil Water
Step 2: Have an inclined "bowl" over pot to collect vapor
Step 3: Vapor cools and turns into water droplets
Step 4: Water vapor drips down off into new bowl
Step 5: ...
Step 6: Profit

I actually did this as a science fair project in 3rd grade.
15059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17
If only there were some sort of barrier or series of barriers that allowed water through but prevented useless things like salt, gold, or platinum group metals from going through to be later discarded.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.