First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
PlayStation Now adds first 20 PS4 games
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/6/17 , edited 7/6/17
They are all old games :/ If you are going to have a rental service then do it like movie rentals. We should be able to rent a new release game on day 1 !!

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/playstation-now-adds-first-20-ps4-games


241768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/7/17
Sorry noob question here:

Can someone explain how exactly Playstation Now works? I heard it's able to stream/play games on the PC/or laptop?
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/7/17

stark700 wrote:

Sorry noob question here:

Can someone explain how exactly Playstation Now works? I heard it's able to stream/play games on the PC/or laptop?


Playstation Now is a game streaming platform. Rather than downloading the game local to your device (Playstation 4 or PC/Laptop), you run an application that streams the game in real-time to your device. It pairs with your PSN account so that trophies and saves are available.
9674 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/7/17

dulun18 wrote:

We should be able to rent a new release game on day 1 !!

Isn't that what Redbox and Gamefly are for?
4516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/8/17

retrometroid wrote:


dulun18 wrote:

We should be able to rent a new release game on day 1 !!

Isn't that what Redbox and Gamefly are for?


Video rental service is nothing new. There's a section for movies on their site. You can rent movies that come on on Blu-ray on day 1

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/home/movies

Rebox and gamefly are not ideal for everyone Most people don't realize it but Neflixdvd is still around even today


You can rent physical movies from them. You have more choices with the disc based option and higher video quality.
https://dvd.netflix.com/
9674 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/8/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

Video rental service is nothing new. There's a section for movies on their site. You can rent movies that come on on Blu-ray on day 1

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/home/movies

Rebox and gamefly are not ideal for everyone Most people don't realize it but Neflixdvd is still around even today


You can rent physical movies from them. You have more choices with the disc based option and higher video quality.
https://dvd.netflix.com/

I mean yeah no shit video rentals aren't new, I was around when Hollywood Video and Blockbuster existed outside of small Alaskan towns. I've seen the movie rentals and purchases on PSN. And I know about Netflix-dvds too since I just signed back up for netflix to watch Castlevania.

My point is Redbox and Gamefly exist and they are literally superior services to a crappy streaming service that chews up bandwidth caps for breakfast and has gross delay on top of that.
4516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/8/17

retrometroid wrote:


AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

Video rental service is nothing new. There's a section for movies on their site. You can rent movies that come on on Blu-ray on day 1

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/home/movies

Rebox and gamefly are not ideal for everyone Most people don't realize it but Neflixdvd is still around even today


You can rent physical movies from them. You have more choices with the disc based option and higher video quality.
https://dvd.netflix.com/

I mean yeah no shit video rentals aren't new, I was around when Hollywood Video and Blockbuster existed outside of small Alaskan towns. I've seen the movie rentals and purchases on PSN. And I know about Netflix-dvds too since I just signed back up for netflix to watch Castlevania.

My point is Redbox and Gamefly exist and they are literally superior services to a crappy streaming service that chews up bandwidth caps for breakfast and has gross delay on top of that.


you can always find the titles you want through Redbox and Gamefly ?

You can watch/play right away whenever you want to ? Let's just say not everyone is will go wait 3-5 days for their games from Gamefly shipping center to their house and another 3-5 days for return shipping or having to drive redbox to pick up a movie and then having to return it.

Hollywood Video and Blockbuster went out of business for a reason.
9674 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/8/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

you can always find the titles you want through Redbox and Gamefly ?

You can watch/play right away whenever you want to ? Let's just say not everyone is will go wait 3-5 days for their games from Gamefly shipping center to their house and another 3-5 days for return shipping or having to drive redbox to pick up a movie and then having to return it.

Hollywood Video and Blockbuster went out of business for a reason.


What i replied to was the subject of NEW RELEASE games which Redbox and Gamefly will have. PS Now having such titles would be antithetical to publisher business models. If you're not buying their games day one they don't care, they're never going to let Sony add brand new titles to their streaming service.

Yeah Netflix was way better than they were. But streaming movies is massively different than streaming games. You don't need to worry about input lag in movies.
4516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/8/17

retrometroid wrote:


AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

you can always find the titles you want through Redbox and Gamefly ?

You can watch/play right away whenever you want to ? Let's just say not everyone is will go wait 3-5 days for their games from Gamefly shipping center to their house and another 3-5 days for return shipping or having to drive redbox to pick up a movie and then having to return it.

Hollywood Video and Blockbuster went out of business for a reason.


What i replied to was the subject of NEW RELEASE games which Redbox and Gamefly will have. PS Now having such titles would be antithetical to publisher business models. If you're not buying their games day one they don't care, they're never going to let Sony add brand new titles to their streaming service.

Yeah Netflix was way better than they were. But streaming movies is massively different than streaming games. You don't need to worry about input lag in movies.


if they can stream 4K movies (1 hr will eat up 8G of data) -- streaming games will not be a problem. . You will need a fast enough high speed internet plan and Sony will need to improve their server and it is possible.

Yes, Redbox and Gamefly will have NEW RELEASE game available on day 1, but the question again is whenever you can rent it or not ?

I was with Gamefly for YEARS (when they had only 2 shipping centers). I had to add up coming games in the queue 5-6 months ahead of time and still might not get it shipped on day one.

There are trade offs for each service. Now, I just want them to have new release games on day one available for rent on their PS store like with the movies!! It will take while since they would rather have you pay them $60 a game (digital preferred) instead of renting it for $25/month ??

They can increase the game rental membership to $30/month and it's still cheap comparing to paying $60+ tax for each game. If it's a service that will eat into their projected profits, i'm sure they will take their time implementing it.
9674 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/8/17
If you can afford to stream 4K movies I don't think it'll matter if you spend $40-60 a game. The average person has mediocre internet. I could never stream a game on my internet, even wired.

My entire point was that you already can rent brand new games. The point wasn't about stock. The point wasn't about whether digital or physical is better.

The point was that you can already do that. This debate is muddying the waters and completely pointless. We're never going to see eye-to-eye.
4516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/8/17 , edited 7/8/17
You like to assume things don't you ? I mentioned 4K streaming because if they can providing streaming service for 4K movies i'm sure they can stream a game without any problem. You either have a fast enough internet speed or Sony need to update their server.

The original post was about why they can't have new release PS4 games for rent on day 1 as well and not just old PS4 games from 2-4 years ago. You brought up Gamefly and Redbox
"
This debate is muddying the waters and completely pointless
" ? this was a debate? interesting. I didn't know it was. I just brought up various things about various services i used before.. I'm sure any Gamefly or Redbox users will know what i'm talking about IF they actually used or are using the service right now.

there are pros and cons but Streaming/Digital gaming is the future-- it's just the matter of soon or later that is all.
Posted 7/8/17 , edited 7/8/17

retrometroid wrote:
If you can afford to stream 4K movies I don't think it'll matter if you spend $40-60 a game. The average person has mediocre internet. I could never stream a game on my internet, even wired.


To be fair. I stream PlayStation Now games through my mobile connection (which ranges around 5Mbps to 100Mbps depending on where I am). Not all ISPs or mobile networks put a hard cap onto your download/upload data. I think the overall idea that "if you can afford to stream 4K movies, I don't think it'll matter if you spend $40-60 a game" is a bit incorrect. Netflix offers 4K streaming of series/films for $12 a month (which is about $3 more per month than a standard Netflix account), really stretching the wallet there isn't it? It really isn't that far fetched.

As for streaming new games, I think AnimeAddictANN69 had a point. It's likely that streaming games is going to be the "next big thing" when it comes to gaming. You're right that input lag is still going to be an ongoing factor until netcode catches up (some fighting games use GGPO which allows for online latency to be accounted for - it's actually one of the more popular netcode middleware for fighting games). At the same time, using PlayStation Now on a semi-regular basis these days - I don't experience too much input lag unless I'm using the mobile connection to play (my wired connection is capped at 300Mbps but my PS4 Pro only gets around 40-60Mbps due to PSN's own cap).

At the end of the day, digitally renting a game for a few days would be interesting. People already play demos (download, play, delete). I think it would save space to have a trial/demo streaming environment for consoles or Steam that would allow you to just start playing immediately and give the game a go. If it's already out, a demo could lead to a rental .. to a purchase. The issue is that this would cause a significant downward spiral for physical copies of games - seeing as we're already seeing this trend with physical copies of games with the evolution of digital media as it is, this isn't too far fetched.

PlayStation Now can be pretty interesting if Sony starts putting out PS4 games onto it. So far, the list doesn't appear to be the type of games that rely on minimum input lag other than Guilty Gear XRD -SIGN- (a fighting game that has decent netcode, so it balances it out). But, as it stands, I don't think that the top speeds are required for PSNow (I've played on as little as 5Mbps without issues, at least RPGs and strategy games). 4K streaming isn't that extensive either (16-20Mbps would do fine). It all depends on where you live and your ISP.
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17


Actually, Playstation Now on the PC and PS4 are pretty spiffy. It allows me to multitask a bit more while gaming PS3 (and now, some PS4) games. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.
3871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17

ninjitsuko wrote:



Actually, Playstation Now on the PC and PS4 are pretty spiffy. It allows me to multitask a bit more while gaming PS3 (and now, some PS4) games. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.



Digital Foundy released a video about PS NOW :)

They need to improve it further ( 4 frames difference) I'm not a fan of digital games-- since i like the cheaper price tag, resale value, etc...of physical games

I think digital gaming has a long way to go. I don't mind renting digital games though..

Are PS4 Games Worth Playing On PlayStation Now? Lag and Image Quality Tested!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXBPktlhvCw


Ni no kuni is a good game!! They delayed the 2nd game to January 2018 though.. The developer released an apology video You can't get angry at all with people who are this polite!!
http://gematsu.com/2017/07/ni-no-kuni-ii-revenant-kingdom-delayed-january-19
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/15/17

dulun18 wrote:

Digital Foundy released a video about PS NOW :)

They need to improve it further ( 4 frames difference) I'm not a fan of digital games-- since i like the cheaper price tag, resale value, etc...of physical games

I think digital gaming has a long way to go. I don't mind renting digital games though..


Losing four frames, gaining the ability to platinum games that I've sold off or didn't get around to before, paying only $85 a year for an expanding library, little to no hard drive space being used, and can play on my personal computer too...

I think I can handle four frames being lost. My upstairs Playstation 4 Pro recently ran out of space (I had installed a 2TB SSD). I recently bought Mass Effect: Andromeda and Injustice 2 and couldn't install either. I checked the downstairs Playstation 4 Pro and realized it probably only had space for three or four games. I loaded up the Amazon app and ordered two 8TB external hard drives for the PS4 Pros.

Something like PS Now, even when losing four frames, would have me falling in love with Sony if they put more PS4 games on it. For now, I get enough of a benefit from it that the four frames doesn't bother me. I don't play enough first person shooter games to make a difference.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.