First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Using Public Wi-Fi
24564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / FL
Offline
Posted 7/16/17
If you want to get hacked go right ahead!
Posted 7/16/17

dulun18 wrote:

Arizona Ave and Chandler Heights.. Alamo Cinema. I know that area. I did my US census around that area. That's pretty far out of the Chandler Area.


It's about 20-30 minutes from where I stay when I go there. I've only been there twice so far (since he moved there about three years ago now?). I stay at the Sheraton Grand on Wild Horse Pass.


dulun18 wrote:
Crazy seats? so it's like IMAX? without 3D ?


I'm not a fan of 3D in the cinema all that often, but yeah. I would suggest trying it if you go to a film that wasn't produced for 3D (not many are nowadays). As for where I sit, I'm normally with the gf in the back corner since it's chill and relaxing.
2885 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/17/17

ninjitsuko wrote:

It's about 20-30 minutes from where I stay when I go there. I've only been there twice so far (since he moved there about three years ago now?). I stay at the Sheraton Grand on Wild Horse Pass.

I'm not a fan of 3D in the cinema all that often, but yeah. I would suggest trying it if you go to a film that wasn't produced for 3D (not many are nowadays). As for where I sit, I'm normally with the gf in the back corner since it's chill and relaxing.


Wild Horse Pass ? There's a Phoenix Premium Outlets mall right next to that casino.

You can see the hotel and the mall right from the I-10, and yet you have to drive around in a circle pretty much to get there + outdoor mall ? in Phoenix Arizona? good luck getting many customers going there during the summer months (May-October). btw, Do you gamble ?

They still have 3D for AAA titles. I know Samsung decided to drop 3D for their 2017 tv lineup. I guess 3D for residential is pretty much dead. We were at the theater yesterday and the good thing about going to theaters that will charge $16-$18/ticket is that there are a lot of empty seats!! We will try out Dolby Cinema next. They don't have 3D with Dolby Cinema?

I remember there are 4D cinemas. We were watching a 3D movie at SeaWorld where they will also spray water at viewers at the right moments.
Posted 7/18/17

dulun18 wrote:
Wild Horse Pass ? There's a Phoenix Premium Outlets mall right next to that casino.

You can see the hotel and the mall right from the I-10, and yet you have to drive around in a circle pretty much to get there + outdoor mall ? in Phoenix Arizona? good luck getting many customers going there during the summer months (May-October). btw, Do you gamble ?


Yeah, it's pretty much across from the mall from what I remember. I don't gamble at all, waste of time/money. It was the hotel that was recommended by the friend who lives there. I learned that if you go during the summer months, you're going to be dealing with 115+ temperatures. On the plus side, the hotel is pretty much dead during those months because nobody's golfing (nor does anyone want to golf in such temperatures). On the downside, it's a race to get to the car and get the air conditioning on. My biggest problem with it is that it's pretty much in middle of nowhere. Sure, you have the outdoor mall nearby but there's pretty much nothing else besides that. Next time I'm asked to visit, I'm going to have to do some research into a better hotel (in terms of distance to things). But I will say, their service is top-notch there (just never eat anything - as their food is horrible).


dulun18 wrote:
They still have 3D for AAA titles. I know Samsung decided to drop 3D for their 2017 tv lineup. I guess 3D for residential is pretty much dead. We were at the theater yesterday and the good thing about going to theaters that will charge $16-$18/ticket is that there are a lot of empty seats!! We will try out Dolby Cinema next. They don't have 3D with Dolby Cinema?

I remember there are 4D cinemas. We were watching a 3D movie at SeaWorld where they will also spray water at viewers at the right moments.


There's a difference between a film that shows in 3D and a film that was shot for 3D. The former, they tend to just bump up certain scenes and render through tech to make it 3D. The latter, they specifically shot certain angles/scenes to make use of the 3D tech in cinemas. If it wasn't shot for 3D (the first example), then I'd choose Dolby Cinema. If they do have 3D or IMAX specific features, go that route. I don't think they have 3D with Dolby Cinema just yet (I could be wrong? I've only been to one film with Dolby Cinema thus far - no cinema within my local area has it, as far as I know).

And yep! I know it's pricier than the $7-12 tickets but you definitely feel the benefits of it. I'm at the beach house for the next two weeks and saw they've recently opened a new theater here with reclining seats. It's kind of funny to see such a thing around here (mostly because it's a tourist haven during the summer) - but they're only $9 a ticket. Mostly because it's a "gimmick-free" cinema (no Dolby Cinema, no IMAX, no 3D, no "BigD Screen". It's just a cinema with reclining chairs... go figure. Lol Since it's an island, not many people are going to go see a movie. Most of the locals are older types anyways who haven't got the time nor patience to deal with all of the screen gimmicks.
2885 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/19/17

ninjitsuko wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty much across from the mall from what I remember. I don't gamble at all, waste of time/money. It was the hotel that was recommended by the friend who lives there. I learned that if you go during the summer months, you're going to be dealing with 115+ temperatures. On the plus side, the hotel is pretty much dead during those months because nobody's golfing (nor does anyone want to golf in such temperatures). On the downside, it's a race to get to the car and get the air conditioning on. My biggest problem with it is that it's pretty much in middle of nowhere. Sure, you have the outdoor mall nearby but there's pretty much nothing else besides that. Next time I'm asked to visit, I'm going to have to do some research into a better hotel (in terms of distance to things). But I will say, their service is top-notch there (just never eat anything - as their food is horrible).

There's a difference between a film that shows in 3D and a film that was shot for 3D. The former, they tend to just bump up certain scenes and render through tech to make it 3D. The latter, they specifically shot certain angles/scenes to make use of the 3D tech in cinemas. If it wasn't shot for 3D (the first example), then I'd choose Dolby Cinema. If they do have 3D or IMAX specific features, go that route. I don't think they have 3D with Dolby Cinema just yet (I could be wrong? I've only been to one film with Dolby Cinema thus far - no cinema within my local area has it, as far as I know).

And yep! I know it's pricier than the $7-12 tickets but you definitely feel the benefits of it. I'm at the beach house for the next two weeks and saw they've recently opened a new theater here with reclining seats. It's kind of funny to see such a thing around here (mostly because it's a tourist haven during the summer) - but they're only $9 a ticket. Mostly because it's a "gimmick-free" cinema (no Dolby Cinema, no IMAX, no 3D, no "BigD Screen". It's just a cinema with reclining chairs... go figure. Lol Since it's an island, not many people are going to go see a movie. Most of the locals are older types anyways who haven't got the time nor patience to deal with all of the screen gimmicks.


Do you use the wi-fi provided by the hotels? I think it's a bit safer than the public wi-fi with no password. I still would not use it for sensitive data though.

If you can't handle 110 heat i would not recommend coming to Phoenix during the hottest summer months (July-August), we got people from the northern states who fainted when the temperature went up to 90 degree . I would stick to Flagstaff if you prefer cold-cooler weather when you are in Arizona during the summer. The snowbirds love Phoenix Arizona during the winter months though. they mostly stay in chandler, gilbert, scottdale, etc.. the safer cities of the county.

The food at Wild Horse Pass is not that good? I've never been there but i was told that the buffet food is pretty good by some though.. $50/person or something ? That hotel is right at the outskirt of county. If you come here during the winter months, i would check out Lights of the world. It's a light show that is only 1-2 miles from Wild Horse Pass casino. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGStAW_dtEU

Everything else is within driving distance since you are right next to the I-10 interstate. Ahwatukee is right next to that casino. There are the mill mall, fry's electronics, resort with water park right on Baseline and I-10. You will be driving through 3-4 cities within 15-20 miles distance if you headed north from that casino. Arizona is not California so i think you can rent a car and just drive around without having to deal with licensing issue.

It might be the drop in resolution with 3D, it's probably the reason why they do not have 3D with Dolby Cinema. Do theaters make enough money with these recliner seats? each the room is only 1/4- 1/2 full. Are they regretting making their theaters recliner seats only ? $16-$18/ticket :/ it's the price of a blu-ray movie pretty much
362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Quebec, Canada
Offline
Posted 7/19/17
I'm not too bothered TBH.
Posted 7/20/17

dulun18 wrote:
<snip>


Nah, I never use hotel wifi either. Since I have unlimited data, I usually just hook up my Chromecast Ultra to the back of a hotel television and create a hotspot off of my mobile. Majority of the times, hotel internet is so slow since they only put one router/repeater on each floor. If you're in a hotel that's pretty busy/popular, the speeds will be ridiculously slow because of this. Hotels are just one of those places that just don't invest enough in a proper network infrastructure to ensure a stable connection for all guests. Rather than wasting my time with videos buffering on Netflix or HBO Go, I just use my mobile since I know it's got at least 60Mbps anywhere I go.

Yeah, the temperatures in Phoenix, AZ have always put me off. There have been a few times in the last 3-4 months that I've been asked to visit by my friends. I think there was a thread where you, AnimeAddictANN69, and I were discussing temperatures - it was enough for me to copy one of the images, send to the friend and told him "Tell me when it dips below 90F". I've been there when it was 105-110F and it wasn't a very pleasant experience when I wasn't in the car or in a building. I'm not the type to like being limited to buildings when I could easily just meander around outside and explore (especially if I went to downtown Phoenix).

As for the food, I was strictly speaking about Sheraton Hotel's little restaurant/room service. Friend and I had something at one of the restaurants in the casino but it wasn't a buffet. It was one of those upscale places. I remember he got a King Crab and it cost around $50-60 (pretty sure it was 1lbs but I could be mistaken). I'll take your suggestions in consideration the next time I find myself in that area. They normally only call on me to visit when they're stuck with something for work (they're pharmaceutical scientists/chemists) or when they've taken a long vacation without any plans of going back to India for a week or two.

$16-18 is nearly the price of a BluRay, I know. The issue I have is that I'd rather not have 100-200 BluRay discs in my house (I tried to go the route of just waiting for everything to come out on BluRay/DVD and I've found that my entertainment system wasn't happy with that idea). 9 out of 10 times I have a BluRay that I watch once and never even want to see it again. So... going to the cinema may be more expensive but it makes more sense to me. The "premium price" is mostly to avoid dealing with kids and having a good time/date night. I did happen to go see "Baby Driver" at the local cinema I was talking about (I'm down on Amelia Island, FL - at the beach house; not home in Raleigh). They seemed to enjoy the traffic they're getting for the reclining seats. There's only one other cinema but it's off-island (20 minutes away). I'm surprised that the seats were still in good condition (tourists and beach bums don't take care of things often).
29553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/20/17

eggrollsama wrote:

If you want to get hacked go right ahead!


used public wifi every day for the last 4 years never been hacked.
Be smart about it don't log into anything be pre-logged in
Posted 7/20/17

Ryulightorb wrote:

used public wifi every day for the last 4 years never been hacked.
Be smart about it don't log into anything be pre-logged in


There's no such thing as "pre-logged in". You're basically just utilizing a stored session cookie. Some sites aren't secure (like CR, just as a bad example that doesn't really matter) - which means someone with about 5 minutes of knowledge could easily "hijack" your session cookie and use it themselves.

More importantly, it's about what information you're broadcasting. Who the hell is going to hijack a session cookie for Crunchyroll while you're on a public wifi? Nobody. But if you do the same thing with bank accounts/apps, Paypal, eBay, and the likes - those are the sites/data that people are sniffing for. If you're just on the subway browsing CR or some manga site, they're not going to jump on that like it's the best information to steal in the world. Those who do these things look for money or ways of spending money. The rest is just silliness.
29553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/20/17

ninjitsuko wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

used public wifi every day for the last 4 years never been hacked.
Be smart about it don't log into anything be pre-logged in


There's no such thing as "pre-logged in". You're basically just utilizing a stored session cookie. Some sites aren't secure (like CR, just as a bad example that doesn't really matter) - which means someone with about 5 minutes of knowledge could easily "hijack" your session cookie and use it themselves.

More importantly, it's about what information you're broadcasting. Who the hell is going to hijack a session cookie for Crunchyroll while you're on a public wifi? Nobody. But if you do the same thing with bank accounts/apps, Paypal, eBay, and the likes - those are the sites/data that people are sniffing for. If you're just on the subway browsing CR or some manga site, they're not going to jump on that like it's the best information to steal in the world. Those who do these things look for money or ways of spending money. The rest is just silliness.


Shows what i know about logging in to things haha but yeah well you just don't use that other stuff on wifi the only thing i have used on wifi is my bank app in the past which is risky but to access it without my phone you need to have a code.
Granted they can probably somehow use my phone to transfer the money to their account but that hasn't happened yet and when my friends bank was hacked in the past the bank refunded what he lost (Same bank) so whilst risky it's a risk i personally take wouldn't recommend doing so.

Pretty sure i can easily be hacked and lose my money since im sure there is a way to find your login and password but when i'm out and i need to make a purchase or move money and have no internet left wi-fi becomes the only choice you have.
39 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/26/17
I install public and hotel wifi for a living, and honestly, its no problem at all, just use the damn wifi so I don't do my job for nothing.

Don't just connect to any random open wifi though, use the network offered at the venue you're at, if they're anywhere half decent at their job the people who set up the network also set up at least basic measures against rogue AP's and some basic forms of sniffing.

Besides, banks, and many other websites are using SSL, if your shit gets hijacked because they could steal a cookie, you deserve it, that could've happened over 4G as well. (There is a nice TED talk about that subject..)

If there is anything I hate, its the piles of badly configured, unsecured or default passworded home routers everywhere plugging up the already crowded 2.4G band. It's especially bothersome if its the venue that hired us to do wifi that does it, because they needed a little bit more range somewhere, or they wanted an extra SSID for their handheld Point of Sale terminals, but didn't want to negociate with us over price (usually it can be sorted out for free, our equipment is multi-ssid anyway so its literally 2 mouseclicks to add one.)
24564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / FL
Offline
Posted 7/20/17


used public wifi every day for the last 4 years never been hacked.
Be smart about it don't log into anything be pre-logged in


How can you tell if the wifi is already pre- logged into?
Posted 7/20/17

Alexander_B wrote:
Don't just connect to any random open wifi though, use the network offered at the venue you're at, if they're anywhere half decent at their job the people who set up the network also set up at least basic measures against rogue AP's and some basic forms of sniffing.


The issue is that most hotels and venues do not. I normally just set up a pineapple and start sniffing to see what I can pull off. 99.5% of the time: the hotel's wifi is only blocked by a simple password (which is any of their room numbers). Their portals are easy to emulate and fake because it's just a two-page "auth" portal that redirects to their external website. When it comes to stores, they just have dual 2.4GHz networks with different names - one's a Guest Wifi (another "auth" portal, accepting terms and conditions that inform you that you're connecting to an unsecured network) and the other is the PoS WiFi.

As for 4G, it was hacked about 6 years ago. Typical MITM type attack with injecting custom packets into the data stream is the "noob" level of 4G/CDMA fuckery. The issue is that there aren't many "ready made" tools for this as WiFI MITM/sniffling. It takes someone who knows a little more as to what they're doing in order to genuinely exploit the 4G/CDMA realm of things versus a public (and mostly open) WiFi network.

Finally, when it comes to session cookie stealing - yes, I agree that if you're using something that is susceptible to session hijacking then you're probably asking for it. But, most mobile banking apps aren't using HTTPS/SSL. It's not like people are pulling out their laptops these days to check their bank accounts or Paypal. They're using apps. Most apps, to this day, are still lacking in utilizing HTTPS/SSL. You may have noticed that some bank apps have become lazy and just have you logging in through an HTTPS session via the browser and the auth token is passed over to the app itself (rather than the app making the auth, as this requires some thought). It's better than nothing but still not as secure as it should be (nothing a MITM malware install wouldn't be able to pick up).

I still say that hotels and stores should be more aware as to what they're doing when it comes to setting up a guest network. Yeah, don't get me started on 2.4GHz congestion from ISP routers with default configs that are also broadcasting a proper 5GHz network alongside it.
3496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Seoul, South Korea
Offline
Posted 7/20/17
Why are people acting like public wifi is the same as having unprotected sex with a prostitute? It's not that dangerous.
Posted 7/20/17

Magical-Soul wrote:

Why are people acting like public wifi is the same as having unprotected sex with a prostitute? It's not that dangerous.


Eh, it's closer to having unprotected sex with one of the local town whores. It's a grab bag chance of getting something, just depends on which of them you get busy with. Sure, all your buddies said she's clean (and that they are too), but you find out eight months later when your new girlfriend finds out her UTI is actually the clap.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.