First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply 20K Prize: Infowars ‘Great CNN Meme War’ Contest Announced
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/7/17

ninjitsuko wrote:



Well, that depends on how you look at it. Seeing as the United States of America is part of the United Nations, they have to abide by human rights obligations. Some aspects of Trump's keynote speeches regarding his proposed immigration changes may/may not violate these obligations - thus, removing the rights of people that fit into the classifications of rights that are given to all people of the world under the umbrella of the United Nations.

But y'know, technicalities.


Ah the UN, the same people that put Saudi Arabia in charge of the Human Rights commission...
You might as well say its a right because the bible said to 'do unto others' etc.
421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/7/17
@outontheop - I was quoting your own words.

Here is your full post

Not even the UN considers unfettered, unrestricted immigration a human right. They claim people should have the right to move *within* their nation, and to *visit* other nations, and that they cannot be *compelled* to be of any given nationality... but nowhere does it state that any given nation must freely and without any restriction automatically grant them citizenship into a new country.

By all means, feel free to actually read what the UN writes about it:

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

....assuming we even give a shit what such a feckless, useless organization has to say on the matter.


The portion I quoted puts the strawman argument up by the phrase "... nowhere does it state ..." which is postulating that someone made the argument that the UN stated nations must give automatic citizenship (most people are taught this type of reasoning early on when they study english context and usage - usually happens after elementary school). Since no one made that argument, you put forth an extreme position and then pretended to negate it
runec 
36337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

MysticGon wrote:
Yeah the memes aren't stopping. Liberals tried to get Watch CNN trending, the internet promptly hijacked it.


Er, what? There's basically nothing whatsoever going on with the #watchcnn hashtag. It's had 14 tweets total today. No one's spreading it or hijacking it. It's not even rolling around The Donald.

Or is there another hashtag going around? I don't see anything in the usual fever swamps.
30264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/7/17

tomas123987 wrote:

@outontheop - I was quoting your own words.

Here is your full post

Not even the UN considers unfettered, unrestricted immigration a human right. They claim people should have the right to move *within* their nation, and to *visit* other nations, and that they cannot be *compelled* to be of any given nationality... but nowhere does it state that any given nation must freely and without any restriction automatically grant them citizenship into a new country.

By all means, feel free to actually read what the UN writes about it:

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

....assuming we even give a shit what such a feckless, useless organization has to say on the matter.


The portion I quoted puts the strawman argument up by the phrase "... nowhere does it state ..." which is postulating that someone made the argument that the UN stated nations must give automatic citizenship (most people are taught this type of reasoning early on when they study english context and usage - usually happens after elementary school). Since no one made that argument, you put forth an extreme position and then pretended to negate it


I never postulated that anyone made the argument. I pointed out, in support of my assertion that nations have a right to restrict entry into their borders, that even the UN does not state that free immigration is a human right. It was a statement made in direct agreement with the statement Amyas made. Pointing out that "nowhere does it state" is not postulating anything except that it doesn't state that people have that right, anywhere in that document. You're REALLY reaching here. If you want to make unfounded assumptions about what someone else is inferring, knock yourself out.

You clearly do not understand what actually constitutes a strawman. Color me unsurprised.
28264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

runec wrote:


MysticGon wrote:
Yeah the memes aren't stopping. Liberals tried to get Watch CNN trending, the internet promptly hijacked it.


Er, what? There's basically nothing whatsoever going on with the #watchcnn hashtag. It's had 14 tweets total today. No one's spreading it or hijacking it. It's not even rolling around The Donald.

Or is there another hashtag going around? I don't see anything in the usual fever swamps.


"Watch CNN" was trending on Twitter near the top, then vanished.

runec 
36337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

MysticGon wrote:
"Watch CNN" was trending on Twitter near the top, then vanished.


As what hashtag? It wasn't #watchcnn and I would expect any such attempt to make it trend and subsequent internet hijack would show up *somewhere* on reddit or pol.
28264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

runec wrote:


MysticGon wrote:
"Watch CNN" was trending on Twitter near the top, then vanished.


As what hashtag? It wasn't #watchcnn and I would expect any such attempt to make it trend and subsequent internet hijack would show up *somewhere* on reddit or pol.


Wasn't a hashtag, just the phrase. Then you go to recents and watch the trolling.
421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/17
@outontheop - I think you might benefit take some logic or English classes.

Your argument is virtually textbook strawman since no one claimed an unfettered, unrestricted right to immigration (First sentence in your quote which is usually the thesis sentence).
runec 
36337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

MysticGon wrote:
Wasn't a hashtag, just the phrase. Then you go to recents and watch the trolling.


Hrm, no, not really. "Watch CNN" is just a standard end for some of CNN's tweets and everyone using the phrase are in sporadic unrelated conversations. So no, I don't think "liberals" tried to make it trend nor did trolls try to hijack it. I mean, twitterjacking practically requires a hashtag anyway.

It looks like just the usual noise and 90% of it looks patently idiotic on all sides. >.>



22009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

21stCenturyGemini wrote:


tomas123987 wrote:

Interesting use of the strawman approach. No one is saying that the US government "... must freely and without any restriction automatically grant them citizenship into a new country (USA)."



That's true.

But at the same time immigration has been an incalculable economic boon for America.

I mean the current wealthiest company in the US (Apple) was started by the son of a Syrian refuge. Second wealthiest company (Google) was co-founded by the son of a Russian immigrant.

Then you go down the line from food to music to inventions to workforces that built some of the most famous landmarks in the US.

Yeah, immigration isn't a 'right' but it's also not logical to be against it.


Tell that go my dead ancestors after immigrants killed my people and culture.

28264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

runec wrote:


MysticGon wrote:
Wasn't a hashtag, just the phrase. Then you go to recents and watch the trolling.


Hrm, no, not really. "Watch CNN" is just a standard end for some of CNN's tweets and everyone using the phrase are in sporadic unrelated conversations. So no, I don't think "liberals" tried to make it trend nor did trolls try to hijack it. I mean, twitterjacking practically requires a hashtag anyway.

It looks like just the usual noise and 90% of it looks patently idiotic on all sides. >.>





Perhaps.

Well hopefully it leads to more entertaining memes.

4146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17
i have to confirm the money first though...

i'm sure someone will be using this as their entry..

11816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/7/17
I kind of wonder if this contest ends up getting InfoWars sued. I mean if they publish a winner that slanders CNN then there's a potential legal battle there.
11816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

i have to confirm the money first though...

i'm sure someone will be using this as their entry..



Yeah, I'm sure there is someone stupid enough to attack CNN for something they had fuck all to do with, but I don't really think that adds much to the conversation :/
4146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17
so kind of like how CNN keep gnawing at various topics for months due to their **cough** "sources" which later turned out to be nothing..

it will be fun nonetheless seeing all the entries...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.